Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2011, 08:43 PM

GSD Play-bit me!!

Diesel is now 6 months old and him and Ruby (3 yr old Goldie) play fight alot, when I let him out of his crate of a morning they play fight, stop briefly for breakfast and are then at it for ages. On walks they play fight, Diesel starts it every time. He hangs off Ruby's ears, he bites her feet, her lips, hangs off her neck etc etc. She mostly plays back with him but he is really rough with her and she is very tolerant of him.

Just before, I crouched down next to Diesel to give him a fuss and he usually tries to lick my face but instead he tried to play fight with me (which I have never done) and scraped his bloody teeth round down my chin and I have big long raised welts. It bloody hurt too!

He wasn't being nasty, he was only trying to play but had it been my 5 yr old daughters face he could have really hurt her - what the hell do I do? Should I start intervening between him and Ruby? or what, I dont want this to happen again it hurt! He also hadn't been playing with Ruby at the time, so he wasn't wound up or excited, I just came in the room and he sat at my feet and I crouched to give him a fuss, which I always do and this happened.

When he did this, I told him no and put him in his bed. I didn't know what else to do

Any advice would be appreciated Is it maybe time to knock the play fighting on the head with Ruby or is it his age (6 months) and he's putting himself about a bit, like they like to do!

Thanks x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 08:50 PM
I can't remember if it was you or somebody else who mentioned their GSD play fighting before but if it was not you I will repeat that advice; it should never be allowed with male GSDs.

All dogs play in different ways, some are not interested in other dogs, some are hail fellow well met and you need to consider the difference in outlook between breeds.

You have a gundog and a pastoral breed; the two play and interact very differently and their outlook on life is also very different.

GSDs were bred to be a living fence for sheep in fence free Germany. Thus they use their bodies to keep sheep in place and they have a high threshold for body contact; they love body slamming.

This is not fair to other dogs who are of a different physical and mental make up. But, it also releases endorphins in the dog and makes him feel good, so he is MORE likely to repeat this behaviour.

Although this dog had not been playing at the time, he has rehearsed using strong bodily contact to interract with dogs and humans. This cannot be allowed to continue.

I would strongly advise you to take control of this dog before he takes control of you, and teach him what is and what is NOT acceptable.

Until now you have actively encouraged this out of control behaviour and high levels of arousal, this spills over into other areas of life if you are not very careful.

Redirect his fighting etc into ball chasing and sensitise him to body contact.

ps re read your post and it appears your dog is a BMD not a GSD however their views on body contact are not dissimilar, being bred to herd.
HTH
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Hi, thanks for your reply.

No thats right, he is a GSD. I have a BMD as well, he's nearly 11 now and Diesel has never been allowed to play with him as he doesn't like it (Floyd, that is - BMD) and he is too old to be gettin assaulted by a puppy.

The thing with Ruby as well is that she was always up for the playing but he has got rougher and rougher with her and he wont leave her alone and he's alomst as big as her now. I was told to let them play fight a while back as I was concerned about him play fighting, on here by several posters. I never actively encouraged the behaviour but I never corrected it either. He is VERY ball orientated and he will chase and retrieve a ball until I get bored! I will try and encourage him to play with a ball rather than harrass Ruby.

I had no idea not to let him play like that Hopefully, I will be able to stop this behaviour.

Thanks for the advice.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 09:42 PM
You could use a long line attached to a harness if necessary, to help control him until he understands he can't continue this.

Just wanted to add as well, that dogs who are allowed to do very strong play fighting with family dogs who do not tell them off tend to sometimes end up being in a lot of trouble with other dogs out on walks, as the only way they have learnt to play is rough.

If he tries this as an older dog, he may get in some bad scrapes and even end up not liking other dogs, or them not liking him, due to his overly boisterous play.

He needs to learn how to play gently if possible, or if not at least remain under good control

Wys
x
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 09:49 PM
My three play fight and it sounds like they are killing one another, but they have been taught "thats enough" weather that is them playing with me or between them selves. then they go their separate ways. He need to know when it is aceptable to play and when isnt.
Although mine are not GSD my aunt has a GSD and he knows he can play fight with my dad but doesnt with my mum coz she doesnt like it.
ATD x
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-04-2011, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
You could use a long line attached to a harness if necessary, to help control him until he understands he can't continue this.

Just wanted to add as well, that dogs who are allowed to do very strong play fighting with family dogs who do not tell them off tend to sometimes end up being in a lot of trouble with other dogs out on walks, as the only way they have learnt to play is rough.

If he tries this as an older dog, he may get in some bad scrapes and even end up not liking other dogs, or them not liking him, due to his overly boisterous play.

He needs to learn how to play gently if possible, or if not at least remain under good control

Wys
x
Thank you for your reply. Putting him on a long line in the house is a great idea. He wears a harness when he's out on walks anyway so he is used to one. I keep having to seperate the two dogs in the house from the over excitement and its becoming a bind as I seem to be telling them to behave every 2 minutes.

Do you have any idea how to use the long line, do I use it to bring him to me or to remove him if he starts the play fighting with Ruby? I think I will also give him rewards when I use the long line to stop him form diving on her.

Oooh this is a great idea, thank you so much! I cant wait to put it into practice tomorrow x

ATD - Yes they seem to know who they can play fight with and who they cant. Diesel has never been allowed to play with my oldest dog Floyd, so he rarely bothers him, however Ruby was up for the playing when he was small, she loved it but now he's too big and rough for her I think! I now have to try and teach him that this behaviour is no loner acceptable - wish me luck! Thankyou for your advice too x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 07:40 AM
If the body slamming etc starts when you are out, interrupt it and remove the ability of the dog to do it by putting him on a lead. GSD are quite sensitive so it does not take long.

I live with a GSD and a Weimaraner, I do not allow my GSD to do this with my bitch, it is not fair to her and I do not want him to learn to be a bully.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 10:37 AM
My GSDs play. None have been bullies. It`s something they do when young to learn boundaries. If your old boy can`t set boundaries, you`ll have to.
I think it is probably impossible to stop two dogs living together from playing, but you should be training the youngster to interact more with you, so maybe train him more in the house and use these training sessions to interrupt over-enthusiastic play?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 10:54 AM
tbf i feel he needs to learn that dogs are dogs and that kind of play is never transferred to humans...they dont know unless u teach them
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
My GSDs play. None have been bullies. It`s something they do when young to learn boundaries. If your old boy can`t set boundaries, you`ll have to.
I think it is probably impossible to stop two dogs living together from playing, but you should be training the youngster to interact more with you, so maybe train him more in the house and use these training sessions to interrupt over-enthusiastic play?
Totaly agree, I see nothing wrong with playing - but when it gets too hyper then is the time to seperate them for a little calm down time
and if you always step in you will find they will eventually stop themselves before it gets too rough

It might also be worth working on some impules control games so he learns to think when he is hyped

Like asking for a sit before you chuck a ball, a down before you tug some more, wait before he gets to go out a door

He will enjoy the chance to use his brain too - but dont ask for too much to start with - even just having all 4 paws on the floor before you chuck the ball, or 1s of eye contact and build it up slowly

and make sure that any rought play with you means game over - he gets a time out
I am sure you are right he didnt mean anything nasty by it - but it is deff something you dont want
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »