View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

17-12-2010, 09:15 PM
Its the same princple as the spray colalr, an interuption/negative associated with the poo.

The advantage of the spray is the dog associates it just with eating, not with you seeing it eat and pitching a can at her. Worth a try though.

With the can approach its best to throw it between her and the poo when she heads for it to eat. With the spray you can wait until she is about to eat and stop her.

Adam
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2010, 09:41 PM
Apparently adding pineapple to their food stops them poo eating........
honeytone
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-12-2010, 09:57 PM
no-one's mentioned letting her out on a long-line. That way you're not standing over her but then have control when she's done.

Murphy's a poo eater too, although not quite so bad, at least he will now obey the 'leave'. I did make sure he was rewarded well for it and now he'll come rushing in for his reward as soon as he's finished his business.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 07:58 AM
My youngest (now 14 months) does this. I thought she had stopped but she has started again since the really cold weather began so it could be that she is hungry. I made a mistake with my three year old who did it by over-reacting so I've been trying not to with Gem. It's difficult as it's dark when I go to work and too gloomy to find the poo if I leave it too late in the evening and with five dogs and one cat, there is nearly always some poo somewhere!

I'm going to up her food ration a bit (she is quite skinny) and hope that the lighter evenings will make life a bit easier. In the meantime, I agree, it's horrible when they come in and breathe poo all over you!
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Skyesmum View Post
Try going outside with her, and let her know you have some extremely high value, smelly treats. Just as she is finishing going, wave the treat under her nose; you can then work on this further so that when she finishes she will look to you for a treat and come away from the poo without wanting to eat it because you have something nicer for her Then you can put her back indoors & pick it up ......simples!!
This worked for me, Skye was a serial poo eater, but soon learned that the treat was much more tasty I still do it, force of habit i guess as shes 5yrs old now, and hasn't eaten poo for years!!

Jann xx

Also meant to say, please dont use anything negative ~ spray collar, rattle tin, shouting etc, it will only make her fearful, and she will probably snaffle it up even faster!!!!
I will try giving her bits of hot dog when she goes (have to go out and get some) as she loves hot dog. I will have to wait until i see her go before she knows i have it or i dont think she will ever go as she will be to intrested in me and the hot dog

I have managed to get her first one of the day with no problems so we are starting the day with good breath atleast
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Apparently adding pineapple to their food stops them poo eating........
Doesnt work with Ruby, tried before.
rubythebeagle
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Originally Posted by honeytone View Post
no-one's mentioned letting her out on a long-line. That way you're not standing over her but then have control when she's done.

Murphy's a poo eater too, although not quite so bad, at least he will now obey the 'leave'. I did make sure he was rewarded well for it and now he'll come rushing in for his reward as soon as he's finished his business.
Im not sure a long line would work as she never goes when she is out walking on her lead.

I will be getting some hot dog to try and get her to leave it, Ruby will leave things when told to on walks and in the house etc, but with poo she just ignores me runs of with her head down, knowing she is doing wrong with the poo hanging out of her mouth
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Has she been on the same food all the time?

I have noticed Kacie, six month old GSD cross, eats poo when I feed fish4dogs. I normally feed raw, but a couple times week I feed this. As the raw hasn't thawed out I have feed them this maybe a little more than usual, resulting in more frozen poo eating!!!
I do clean up as soon as I see it but sometimes as you say you dont always get to see them do it!! And that 'beautiful sweet smelling breath'.................
Might be worth a try to change her food.
I know it's 'normal' but it aint nice!!
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3