Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-01-2010, 01:26 PM

Grumpy Gozo

Wasn't sure where to post this thread because it's kind of a training & behaviour question but it's more of an answering my curiosity thing than a big problem.

It's directed at you Dogsey members with all the experience of multi dog households.

To paint the background; I have 3 dogs, Pepper, Mini Schnauzer nearly 4, neutered female, Gozo, Affenpinscher, nearly 2, entire male and Enzo another Affen, 10 months, also entire male (for the next couple of months anyway!).

As the title suggests Gozo, who is the smallest and most nervous, tends to get grumpy at Enzo, and occasionally Pepper, if they come over to him when he is next to me or sometimes just on the sofa or bed.

It appears that he is resource guarding me and the prime sleeping positions, it's all noise and posture, never more. Neither Pepper or Enzo take much notice of him when he does this, in fact, the look of incredulity on Pepper's face when he does it to her is quite comic. I think Enzo does it on purpose sometimes just to annoy him, despite being younger he is bigger and more confident.

So what's the best way for me to react? It's not doing any harm, it's just a bit annoying, especially if he does it in the middle of the night!!!

Looking forward to your replies.

J.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 12:39 PM
No one got any ideas?

J.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 12:44 PM
My little Yorkie did this for a while to my Slovak. She too would resource guard me and the sofa by growling if Bo (Slovak) came near. All I did was put her down on the floor immediately the second I could see her tensing and that instantly defused the situation. It only took putting her down onto the floor a couple of times to stop her from doing this.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 12:52 PM
Thanks Labradork, I have tried this with Gozo but it didn't work with him. Maybe because the difference in size/status between him and Enzo is less clear?

J.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 12:54 PM
So he is still growling and making a fuss even when you put him down on the floor?
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
So he is still growling and making a fuss even when you put him down on the floor?
No, sorry I wasn't clear, I meant that he does it again the next time he is next to me or on the sofa, i.e. the next time the same situation arises.

J.