Our sister sites
fonz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2009, 07:28 PM

grumpy 15 month border during playtime

Hello

I could really use your advice pls!

We have a 4 year old Italian Spinone (girl) & 15 mth old Border Terrier (girl) who are the very best of friends & have played together fabulously indoors & out.

Over the last 2-3 weeks we've noticed the Border becoming unwilling to play when approached to do so by the Spinone, who is very skilled socially. For example, Spinone will look at & wag her tail quickly, try to nuzzle Borders ears to get her to respond. Border will bare teeth (no biting) & will walk away showing no interest . It can become a little tense.

I'm concerned why this is happening... any ideas?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Is she due in season or recently had one?
fonz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2009, 08:03 PM
she was in seaon until about 4 weeks ago
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Well she could be having a phantom pregnancy and her hormones playing up a bit, Borders are notorious for having phantoms. Other than that, could she be in pain or poorly?
bingowings
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-10-2009, 08:59 PM
I was warned by my vet that Eden's behaviour could change up until about 6 weeks after her season. I was told she could become grumpy or depressed but this should pass.
fonz
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Thankyou for the advice. I have an instincive feeling that it is her hormones, based on the Spinone's friendly/randy approach to play!

I've never had a dog have a phantom pregnancy before - what are the symptoms? Also, can hormonal changes make a dog smell as if in season to other dogs?