View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-09-2006, 06:35 AM

Prednisolone - What are the side effects?

Finn has been prescribed a 3 week course of prednisolone The vet ran though a few of the serious side effects like stomach problems and things to look out for.

Finn has had me up every 2 hours during the night for a pee I take it this is a minor side effect of the steriods? Will his body adjust to them or does this carry on for the whole course? He has to take 30mg for a week, then 15mg for another week, then 15mg every other day for the last week.

Good thing is the itching stopped and his skin coolded down within an hour of the first dose.
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 07:00 AM
Prednisolone is a steroid and so skin 'thinning' is also one of the side effects as is bloating. They are however, very effective and they should be used exactly as prescribed i.e. do not stop them suddenly or anything.

Kath XX
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered

12-09-2006, 07:00 AM
Found this on the web Carole. If you Google prednisolone dogs side effects there seems to be quite a bit if information.

Perhaps ask the vet if the frequent peeing will last as long as Finn is taking the meds?

Side effects seen in dogs include polyuria, polydipsia, polyphagia, poor haircoat, GI disturbance, diarrhea, vomiting, weight gain, GI ulceration, pancreatitis, lipidemia, elevated liver enzymes, diabetes mellitus, muscle wasting, and possible behavioral changes.

• Polyuria, polydipsia, polyphagia may be seen in dogs even on short-term therapy.
Carole
Supervisor

12-09-2006, 07:11 AM
Thanks both I have to phone the vet tomorrow to give her an update of how he is doing to will ask about the constant peeing.
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 07:14 AM
i think steroid side effect is more a prolonged use thing.. in the short term i`ve never had any problems.. they can work miracles.
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally Posted by Carole View Post
Thanks both I have to phone the vet tomorrow to give her an update of how he is doing to will ask about the constant peeing.
One of the side effects is polyuria (excessive urine production) so I would suggest the extra peeing is par for the course

hth

thandi
Carole
Supervisor

12-09-2006, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by thandi View Post

One of the side effects is polyuria (excessive urine production) so I would suggest the extra peeing is par for the course

hth

thandi
glad to hear its normal now just to find out if it tails off as the body gets used to the drugs or whether its the same til the end of the course.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 09:57 AM
Georgie has been on these almost permanently for 6 years now on and off, and at the moment, he's on 1 every other day and has been for the past 3 months. I have never noticed the excessive wee'ing, but I have noticed is constant interest in food, his weight gain and he's quite subdued sometimes, not himself if ya know what I mean. As you say though, his skin turns white and calm immediately he's back on them, instead of red and angry, so I do know they work for his skin problems.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2006, 10:03 AM
Benji has been on them numerous times and the two side effects I can think of is eating and weeing more. They need to drink more water when on steroids because it alters the salts in their kidneys or something so that's why they wee a lot more - Benji had me up in the night a few weeks ago when he was on 2 a day. He also gets a very increased appetite when he is on them and I think with being on them on and off for so long they have made him into a greedy dog and he will eat literally anything - if I throw any bread out for the birds I have to be really careful he doesn't get it because he will eat the lot.
Carole
Supervisor

12-09-2006, 12:29 PM
thanks Helena & Foxy I have noticed him drinking a lot more as for food he could do with gaining a few pounds

Originally Posted by Foxy
Benji had me up in the night a few weeks ago when he was on 2 a day
Did Benji need to pee during the night until he finished course Foxy?

Finn has to take 6 (5mg each tablet) a day so no wonder he needs to pee during the night.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >