Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-05-2006, 07:56 PM

Help please for The Great Gildersleeve

Hi all I'm trying to help Gildy as he is having logging on problems, so I've copied and pasted his e-mail in hope that someone here can help..........
Mango x

I could use the Guardian website ok until maybe 1pm ish using my account details as I always have.

I even managed to put up a blog entry on their site with ease. But when I returned to see if any more comments had been added I could not get on the site and it said that my e-mail address was unknown to them.

So I started to e-mail their technical department for help and various e-mails passed between us all afternoon.

In the meantime I went onto the Dogweb site and found that I could not access that without putting in my username and password(it may be coincidence that this site has gone down for maintenance and denies me access)but until I am sure that its a site fault(and I cannot tell)until I am sent my Username and password again(I have asked for them to be sent in an e-mail)I am unsure.

Now, the last two sites to denie access may've come about because in the last Guardian e-mail that I had to fix their problem they told me to clear my cookies. So now I wonder if that is why I can no longer get into the BBC messageboards site and another site with messageboards to do with birds.

Now, when I am putting what I believe to be the correct information in to open them up they are not accepting me and then locking me out for a while. And it may be a simple explanation or could it be something more sinister?

I have a firewall, I have an up to date virus checker and Ad-Aware spyware checker software and they appear to show nothing to worry about.

But what is strange is that if further problems have been caused by deleting cookies at the last attempt I was able to access my account at tesco's shopping on-line site and my blog site. So they have remained unaffected which if all the other places have been I would've thought that they too would be affected. Of course if I go to those sites now and find that I have been blocked out of them I will be concerned.

I use dial-up not broadband at present.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-05-2006, 08:04 PM
I have just spent an horrendous weekend with something very similar happening. My e mail went down late Friday evening, still wasn't on Saturday, so my friend's husband was sat on the phone for hours trying to help me sort it. All this time I could get dogweb and ute site, in fact my friends were pm'ing me on the ute site and I was replying!!!
Eventually youngest son came over, moved my files to d drive, wiped my computer totally and started again. Then couldn't get broadband up and running, we couldn't get the password, or the next 5 passwords to work, then it turned out there was a fault with my providers, eventually got on line Monday afternoon.
Best advice I can offer is, move files to another drive, wipe your site and start again, it worked for me!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2006, 08:04 PM
All I can say Gildy is I am having major problems logging into Dogweb using my usual AOL browser, and in fact, I still can't log in with that. I have resorted to using my Internet Explorer and I can at least log in and post, but have some problems with that also. Can you try logging in using another browser maybe like I have done? It's a major headache isn't it, especially when you're not techie enough to understand stuff like this, and I speak for myself here of course! I do hope somebody can help you out on this, it must be driving you mad, I know it is for me, especially at this time of year when you want to visit your bird forums. Take a deep breath........ and the best of luck to you.
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

10-05-2006, 05:34 PM
I sent Anthony a new password... did he get it?

If hes having logging in trouble he may need to clear his cookies/cache (theres a thread in announcements about it and how to do it)
Mango
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Yes I believe he did, thanks eRaze.

I had an email from him saying that he can get on DW now, and guess what DW came up trumps again as the quickest answer and help he's had!

No doubt he'll be on himself soon

thanks for all your help
Mango