Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 02:09 PM

Which book?

Pay day is coming up and I want to buy a new book. I've had my eye on two but I can't afford both right now, plus I don't want to confuse myself with too many methods. So which book is better?

Click to Calm or Control Unleashed?
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Well, if you wanted to buy Click to Calm we could always do a bit of a book share? I wouldn't mind a read of Click to Calm and you could borrow Control Unleashed as many times as you like. No worries if you'd rather have your own copy!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2011, 02:47 PM
defo control unleashed

clicking for nervy dogs isnt a great idea anyway
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 03:53 PM
I haven't read either of those, but the 'unleashed' one sounds interesting. Who is the author please?

Thanks
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 04:03 PM
I keep looking at those too. Maybe dogsey needs to start a book swap / library scheme!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 04:06 PM
I love control unleashed
Click to calm was OK but I dont agree with clicking and then just dropping the treat if the dog cant take it - move away and start again else you are weakening the clicker

CU has lots more exercises and work for nearvy dogs and hyper ones and shy ones and ..... well all dogs
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Pay day is coming up and I want to buy a new book. I've had my eye on two but I can't afford both right now, plus I don't want to confuse myself with too many methods. So which book is better?

Click to Calm or Control Unleashed?
Why not try before you buy?

If you join as a subscriber to the APDT you can then join their library and take out books FREE!

It costs £25 per annum to be a subscriber and £20 per annum to join the library.

http://www.apdt.co.uk/apdt_member_benefits.asp

http://www.apdt.co.uk/library.asp

I thought there were a few APDT members on here or those aspiring to be, and am surprised nobody has mentioned this?

This way you can decide whether the books you have borrowed will make it onto your "must buy" list or not!

HTH
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
I haven't read either of those, but the 'unleashed' one sounds interesting. Who is the author please?

Thanks
The author is Leslie McDevitt.

Cheers for the link SB, I'd never heard of that.

Interesting to hear people's opinions. I borrowed Control Unleashed from Krlyr and I was very impressed with it, think it definitely applies to Cain and want my own copy. Very interested in your comments Ben McF. I have no experience with Click to Calm but it's been recommended so many times that it piqued my interest.

Karly good idea. I definately want my own copy of CU anyway but if I do get Click to Calm then of course you can borrow it.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-06-2011, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=Ben Mcfuzzylugs;2291266]I love control unleashed
Click to calm was OK but I dont agree with clicking and then just dropping the treat if the dog cant take it - move away and start again else you are weakening the clicker

[/QUOTE

plus the fact, if thats the technique, why bother with the clicker?

actually utlilise a treat scatter game for what it is - gives the dogs something better to focus upon, uses the dogs primary sense of smell which helps him relax.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2011, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=Krusewalker;2291328]
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I love control unleashed

[/QUOTE

plus the fact, if thats the technique, why bother with the clicker?

actually utlilise a treat scatter game for what it is - gives the dogs something better to focus upon, uses the dogs primary sense of smell which helps him relax.
I have to say I agree, I do not understand how dropping a treat is weakening the clicker?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >