Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I always leave my sister to house sit for us. We have so much stuff now - dogs, poultry, pony that it would be impossible for us to go away if she didn't housesit. Not that we go away very often! lol Haven't had a "proper" holiday for about 8 years now! We tend to just go and visit friends or family for a few days.

When we got married, we had to put the dogs in kennels for a couple of nights and Harvey, my gwp, who can be a bit of a barker, was fine in the kennels. They had no problems with him at all.

I think I would only leave things with my sister as I don't think I would trust anyone else.

Helen
Well Sadie's owners did start her off in kennels, but then forgot to get her boosters done until it was too late one year so then a relative had her but she tied her up outside all day and didn't move the bin (she was a raider at the time) so then I offered to do it one year - and I've been dogsitting for 5 years now, my sister cat sits and my parents make sure no one burgles their house. They said they wouldn't trust anyone else except my family - and thats over their own.

Originally Posted by Insomnia View Post
I wouldn't leave Axel with my father-in-law. Nothing to do with him, but his Westie will NOT leave Axel alone the entire time! It does annoy Axel after a while, so it wouldn't be fair.
I luckily have my Mum who doesn't have any dogs and loves Axel. She's reliable and is looking after Axel very soon actually, she's nervous now because of the seperation anxiety, but hopefully the headway we've made up to now and before then will help
I read about that but didn't have time to reply last week. I hope you get it sorted before you go on holiday
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 09:07 AM
before i got my job in the kennels i used to have a dog sitter, it was the vet nurse from out vets and she was always fine but now phoebe goes in kennels if i am away or need to go out for the entire day
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post

Well Louie would go into kennels - but we're on a budget (god knows why he wanted to go to Spain!) so I can't really afford them plus it's a holiday for my sister away from my parents and she's getting a stocked fridge and some pennies for it (although not as much as a kennel would be paid)
well that sounds like a good plan. it might be an idea to write her a manual. i wrote one for my mum when i thought i was moving to spain, with the diet plan in, what to do in different situations, vets details etc, places they like to walk, where they can and can not be let off lead, grooming regime etc. i did it more for my peace of mind, but it really helped her and she still keeps it to hand now
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
well that sounds like a good plan. it might be an idea to write her a manual. i wrote one for my mum when i thought i was moving to spain, with the diet plan in, what to do in different situations, vets details etc, places they like to walk, where they can and can not be let off lead, grooming regime etc. i did it more for my peace of mind, but it really helped her and she still keeps it to hand now
She had him overnight last week - 4 pages for what to do just overnight Some of it was to do with the house too! I might do it though - just so I know it's there, I know she'll read it and take it into account, whereas the in laws would do one of two things; read it and ignore it or ignore it because as the FIL says "It's just a dog" but their dog might be just a dog, Louie is a (ahem ) well trained dog who I would like to keep that way..
beau
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Well I dont have a dog but do have 2 cats. Last year when we went away on holiday we had arranged for my FIL to stay at our house for the week to look after the cats, it turned out that instead of staying he locked the cats outside and popped over everyday to feed them in the garden. As you can imagine I was fuming and never again will I trust him to care for any of my animals.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 03:24 PM
The only place i will leave my dogs is boarding kennels that i have used numerous times. Though saying that, i am going away for 12 days in a month and am being forced to leave ripley with my mum for that time...it will be a huge stress and no doubt i will be checking in daily to see she is ok (i dont pgone the kennels at all as i know they are safe).
DexNjj
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-06-2011, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't leave my dogs with someone who didn't take care of their own dogs, but beyond that I don't think a short vacation where they are spoiled a bit won't ruin your training.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 04:52 PM
I would be very wary of kennels anyway, having worked in a vet recommended, supposedly reputable boarding kennels and cattery.

The main problem for me was that the male owner teased a fear aggressive golden retriever with a broom through the bars of the kennel, and yet told his owner that he was "fine, loved it" so the dog would probably be going back for more of the same at some stage

A red setter whose claws were cut, right through the quick, by the "grandad" who was looking after the kennels for the day.

Two dogs lost and killed on the roads whilst I was there.

And so on. And that was in a period of just six weeks, after which I left.

I know some kennels are good, but it takes a very astute person to know for sure, and all the clients of this particular kennel had no idea as they were led to believe it was good, and that included the vet who recommended them.

So personally I am always wary, and it would be my last solution and only if I had to.

JMO though

I must admit, OH and i either tend to take a cottage together with dog, in the UK, or else if we go away for the day, a good friend who has known my dog since puppyhood has her

Wys
x
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't have left Tilly with anybody because of that feeling that nobody understands her like hub & I do & how to handle/touch her indoors & fear of her biting somebody & like you say being "untrained" all your hard work outa the window!
I feel we were so lucky when we got help from a behaviourist who turns out is also a licenced home boarder with a very good reputation, I almost bit her hand off so to speak to get Tilly booked in so we could go to Spain even though my in-laws were staying at our house to watch daughters & cat!
It cost more than our flights but well worth it for peace of mind & now I've done it, certainly will again as Tilly was good & she got some extra training whilst there.

I hope you sort something out, it is a worry isn't it
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I would be very wary of kennels anyway, having worked in a vet recommended, supposedly reputable boarding kennels and cattery.

The main problem for me was that the male owner teased a fear aggressive golden retriever with a broom through the bars of the kennel, and yet told his owner that he was "fine, loved it" so the dog would probably be going back for more of the same at some stage

A red setter whose claws were cut, right through the quick, by the "grandad" who was looking after the kennels for the day.

Two dogs lost and killed on the roads whilst I was there.

And so on. And that was in a period of just six weeks, after which I left.

I know some kennels are good, but it takes a very astute person to know for sure, and all the clients of this particular kennel had no idea as they were led to believe it was good, and that included the vet who recommended them.

So personally I am always wary, and it would be my last solution and only if I had to.

JMO though

I must admit, OH and i either tend to take a cottage together with dog, in the UK, or else if we go away for the day, a good friend who has known my dog since puppyhood has her

Wys
x
did you tell the vet to stop reccomending it and tell them what was going on?
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2