Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lady'sman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-12-2006, 05:09 AM

Mouthing

From what little I've seen here so far, this thread may not appeal to you - but I'll take a chance, anyway.

All dogs I ever had in the past 8 decades have "mouthed" me very frequently. As have many of my friends' dogs. I don't use such a sophisticated term. To me, they are simply play-biting. Allmost never hard enough to hurt. Once in a great while one would clamp down a little hard. Usually just saying "Ouch!" has be sufficient to make them realize what they'd done - which often resulted in "kisses" - licks on hand or face.

Personally, I enjoy it. The dog is playing, and that is the only way it has of holding on. (The pleasure can be dampened somewhat if the dog has excess saliva - a problem none of my 5 GSDs or Lady (my Belgian Groenendahl) have had.

There is one drawback: all of our GSDs were puppies when we got them, and puppy teeth are like needles!

So how do you feel about it? Os ot [art of the fun of having a canine family member, or is the "slobber" and biting too much for you?

By the way - none of our dogs ever play-bit my wife, even when she rough-housed with them a little. Not so with our four children as they grew up, however. But never an injury to anyone.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 06:46 AM
Interesting.
Our pups are more likeky
l to play bite my OH but he does roll around the floor with them than me!!!!
I think in play, as long as the dogs have been taught to have a 'soft mouth' if you're happy then great. We discourage it as we have a young child and don't want the dogs mouthing him, we also don't want them thinking it's okay to mouth visitors or strangers, so it is a no no here.
Your dog though and i know my OH would be tempted to allow it to carry on if it wasn't for all the above, it doesn't bother him as they are playing not hurting as you say. My only concern is, visitors (which in this house includes a lot of children and elderly people) don't know that.!!!
Sounds like you enjoy your dog family!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 07:16 AM
Lennon, my two year old Shiba Inu, play bites all the time, especially when he sees me after I've been absent, like after work, first thing in the morning etc. I love it. I think it's a great sign of affection. It never hurts either, so I have never tried to stop him
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 10:48 AM
I think a lot depends on the individual dog. My GSD play-mouths your hand and it is very gentle and it is meant in an affectionate way. My collie far more hard-mouthed and I don't allow him to play bite me, as I think it would get out of hand (pardon the pun )
skjerstad
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 11:24 AM
As we have labradors which I think are traditionally very soft mouthed, (and ours certainly have been trained to be) I don't worry about any mouthing they do. Molly in particular will show her affection if I have had a long absence, perhaps been at work, she will hold my cuff when I come home. It's as if she is like a child holding mums hand for a while for some comfort or reassurance. Perhaps I'm reading to much into her behaviour but I like this contact so it's ok with me.
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 11:28 AM
I don't mind it as long as the dog knows when to stop and when it is instigated. I will play with my dogs but they will only do it with me and then know when to stop.
I think with a puppy it's slightly different and they put everything in their mouth. They should learn what is acceptable and bite inhibitiion. It should not be allowed to mouth everyone it meets including children when it feels like it.
Lady'sman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-12-2006, 04:50 PM
Of all our dogs, we've never had one that mouthed any but family members. Not deliberately trained that way ... perhaps when young we probably told them "NO!" if they attempted to do it to non-family. But the fact none of them ever play-bit my wife suggests to me an intelligent decision based on some level of respect for her position in the family (Pack?).

My first GSD was given to me - I was 12 -because the 3 yr old was vicious. He wasn't! Shortly after his joining us, my sister visited with my newborn nephew, laying him on the divan while she went into the kitchen to chat. Prince immediately rushed over to "inspect" the baby, then lay down on the floor and guarded it - leaping to his feet at every sound the baby made. My subsequent GSDs were similarly protective of our children and family. Thor, for example, twice prevented toddling grandchildren from attempting the steps down into the den. He simply blocked their way.
So I have never been concerned about children's safety. When playing with the kids, the play bites must have been gentle, for I don't recall any howls of pain from the children.

Dogs are MUCH more intelligent than often believed.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi ladysman I'm glad the children in your family have always been safe, but I'm afraid I go with the a dog is a dog and is NEVER 100% bombproof so better safe than sorry here. You never know around children and dogs and the risk is just not worth it.
Lady'sman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

21-12-2006, 06:38 PM
If I may be allowed to "moralize" for a moment: I wonder if we have not become to fearful of risktaking of anykind, and perhaps tend to see risk where little or none exists?
I would further respectfully point out that, while very occasionally a dog will harm children - or adults - the risk of harm from automobiles is infinitely greater, yet we put our kids and selves in cars with little concern.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-12-2006, 06:55 PM
I don't want to get into any heated debate here. We definitely don't allow biting or mouthing. We have only had our Leonberger for a month and he is learning so quickly what is and is not accepted. We are very clear and very consistant with him. I have young children and he is going to be a very large and powerful dog and even though I am sure he would never intentionally hurt them, even in play he may just get a little carried away so the children only fuss him while he is not mouthing and as soon as he starts they just stand still and the fussing stops or they leave the room. I just think that in our own situation this is the best for everyone.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >