Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: What training problems do you have
Dog pulling on lead 20 60.61%
problems with recall 15 45.45%
dog on dog aggression 6 18.18%
jumping on people 14 42.42%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-12-2006, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by dougiepit View Post
I got tegan and Kaos within 6 weeks of each other and I tought it could be a problem but it worked very well, now I have 7
SEVEN!!!.......... ok can I be first to congratulate you on officially being BONKERS

Joking apart though, I find in many ways they have learned from eachother. So in some ways it helps having more than one. Trouble I find is that because they are so good, I'm a little spoiled and take it hard when they have a "puppy" day and misbehave.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 02:56 PM
O.K its a fair cop, since you have all been so honest (thank you)
I must admit that for the first time in 16 years I have to say HOLLY can be a bugga with recall, she has a very high prey drive and has an up yours attitude if she gets a whiff of a rabbit, she is a head strong little git and sneeky to boot, mabey I have met my match eh! Rott bitches are a bit more independent than males in my opinon,
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by IanTaylor View Post
SEVEN!!!.......... ok can I be first to congratulate you on officially being BONKERS

Joking apart though, I find in many ways they have learned from eachother. So in some ways it helps having more than one. Trouble I find is that because they are so good, I'm a little spoiled and take it hard when they have a "puppy" day and misbehave.
Hi My Name is shona and I am addicted to Rottweilers
that said I see some dogs that are more of a handful than the seven rotts put together, and luckily I have never had a problem with aggression so far, so hollys little rabbit obsession is not the worst problem I could have must work on it but the weather is soooo bad and it cant wait untill spring new she was trouble the min she popped into the world,

IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 03:10 PM
We have problems with recall (selective deafness when there is something more interesting than me, i.e. everything) and with pulling on the lead.

Max will occasionally jump up when he is uber-excited, but we just ignore him and he soon calms down.

We're working on the pulling on the lead by using a correcting jerk on the lead and a "steady" command. He's actually much better, and when we're out on our own he is perfect. Sadly, if we're walking with another dog (e.g. Hevvur's Teagan) Max forgets everything he has learnt and will choke himself on his lead and collar *sigh*
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-12-2006, 03:12 PM
I don't see any of them as problems just natural canine behaviour that doesn't fit the human idea of what is expected of a dog ..
Pulling on the lead = a dog walks faster than a human and is eager to get going, watch a dog off the lead it rarely walks and mostly trots/jogs along.
Recall = a dog finds something more interesting than the human who is calling it. It is normal for a dog to 'read' the messages left by other dogs and to explore a potential food source.
Dog on dog aggression = a dog hasn't been given to opportunity to meet and greet other dogs so can't interpret their body signals . If puppies are brought up in a large group of dogs (like a kennel ) there is rarely any problems with dog on dog aggression, they sort things out for themselves.
Jumping up = a normal canine greeting from one dog to another.

If you start off with a puppy to train, give a training method a chance to work , are gentle consistent and patient none of the options listed should be a problem or difficult to cope with.

The 'problem' to me is as with so many things in our 'instant society' some people expect instantly trained puppies and dogs .
It always surprises me that people are prepared to accept the fact that babies mean months of sleepless nights /teething/ potty training/teaching to talk and walk yet when it comes to training puppies, natural occurring behaviour that can be modified quite quickly with the correct approach is seen as a problem.

Sorry if this sounds grumpy but it is something that causes me concern.
ramoth
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Monster has the recall of a sparrow!! The whole world is more interesting than me or my toys or my treats
It's so exasperating trying to get her to come back!!

Other than that she is great, only pulls if she sees another dog, still jumps a bit when excited but then she is only 5 months old. Zero dog aggression but we have two other dogs and she has great doggie communication skills. I still love her to pieces though
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi Minihaha, I dont think your post is grumpy
I agree with what you have said and with that thought it should be headed, which training issue is taking longest to acheive,
yes people try something for 5 min and when it does not work they jump on the next idea which is confusing for the dog, any method should be given ample time to work,
and I also agree that what is a problem for people is totaly normal for dogs
X shona X
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Thats a great pic Shona, they really are gorgeous dogs. Thers a lass lives next door to my mum has a Rottweiler and it's gotta be the friendliest dog I've ever met. Fantastic dog.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Must admit the 4 tied to the bench are not (mine) they are pups from my first litter and we meet regularly to go walkies with my dogs (mine are the 3 sat at the end of the bench, lol we could not get the young ones to stay put so we tied them to the bench, I do have 7 hear now though but that photo was taken about 15 months ago,
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

13-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Can see Mini's point, but I think in todays society, with busy roads and built up residential areas etc it is a problem if you have trouble with certain aspects of training. Granted it is one that can and should be solved by proper training but a problem none the less.
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >