View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 12:48 PM

A small but important victory! (food aggression)

Takara's snappy with other dogs when it comes to food (a person can take anything out of her mouth but put a dog near her when food is around and she's mental).

I've been training her to know that her food isn't threatened and part of this is, when her mood is right (sometimes I can sense it won't work), she is told to sit and wait while another dog is fed (say a friend's dog in the park) and if she's good, she gets a treat too.

At the moment we're dogsitting an 8 month old dally bitch (yes, it's a mad house) and we did have a few little scraps that Takara started - pup came last minute and introduction wasn't as smooth as we'd have liked.

This morning I went for a walk, I've not been taking treats on walks recently because of the food issue (If she thinks I have them she's a nightmare) with just the girls and after a recall, Takara got rewarded, I thought she'd run straight off again so turned to reward little pup. When I turned around again, there was Takara sat, waiting!

So she's now seeing other dogs being fed as a cue to sit down and wait to be fed!

The fact that she's had the pup staying with her for the last couple of days has probably helped but they've had to be separated around food anyway so I'm still thinking of it as a great achievement for her!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Oh, well done Lottie, something worked then! Long may it continue!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 01:09 PM
Thanks

Pup came into the lounge this morning with a chew I tried as best I could to hide my panic because Takara was in the lounge too and I thought I'd hidden all the chews!

Pup laid down with the chew and Takara just watched her and didn't seem too bothered. She stood behind her watching and her face was so easy to read 'I want that!' but she wasn't going to take it.

When pup left it and walked away, Takara went to get it and pup turned around again. Straight away Takara stood up and left the chew - I was so shocked but so pleased, she got a huge fuss and reward!
Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 02:48 PM
nice one! congrats
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 02:52 PM
That's great! I've noticed that Sam & Rufus don't steal each other's stuff now unless it's obviously been left. They seem to avoid trouble when possible.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 08:40 PM
Sounds as if it's going really well Lottie,

Wys
x
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2007, 10:35 PM
I am going to pm you, honest... I've not had a lot of time for obvious reasons
Gina&Jaz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Wow thats fab! Great progress, congrats.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
I am going to pm you, honest... I've not had a lot of time for obvious reasons
No probs
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Wow... sounds like Takara is getting the message now. Maybe having the pup in the house has helped?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >