Our sister sites
Wags
New Member!
Male 

22-03-2007, 06:56 PM

GSD puppy nipping whilst playing

:smt100

Hi there,

We have a GSD bitch (4 months old) and we're very pleased with how she's settling down with the family, she's doing very well especially with my 3 year old niece.

However, when we're all at home she can become slightly boistrous whilst playing her natural puppy games and likes to nip at our feet and hands.

Is there anything we can do to calm her down a bit, we try to play with her toys but she ignores them and prefers to nip us instead.

We just want to want to calm her down for the sake of my niece as she can't deal with her when she becomes boistrous.

Many thanks for any help you can provide.

P.S. Her only other annoying habit is the old eating her own doings but I've noticed that's already a well covered subject. :smt078
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Well first of all Welcome along if I haven't done it already. My boy is six months old now and still eats his poo as much as I try to catch him in the act and clean it up and I also put pineapple in his food which is supposed to make it unpalatable but there you go!!
Ivan was also a bit rough with his playing and nipping when we got him first. We were very strict with him as I have a 6 year old and a 3 year old. We would instantly stop playing with him and turn our backs. If it continued we would leave the room for short periods. We all did this every time without fail and he soon got the message. I also made him sit every time the children wanted to cuddle him and now he does it with having to be told and is fantastic with them most of the time, he is still very yound and only learning. Sorry to have gone on, hope this helps. I am sure you will get some more thorough training tips and advice.

Can we have some pics please?
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 09:10 PM
Hi, and welcome to dogsey

Have to say i agree totally with berger. I also have a 6 month old and she doesn't nip. It takes time and patients but every time she did grab our hand i would say a firm "no" and not play with her. They soon learn that by nipping you, you stop playing and ignore them. So they eventually don't do it. As i said this will not happen over night it takes time and patients but it will stop if everybody ignores when they bite. good luck!
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Welcome
Just popping in quickly with a link to a bit of advice from the pet dog trainers association:

http://www.apdt.co.uk/advice.htm

If you just scroll down a bit it's under Bite Inhibition

Have fun,

Wys
x