Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
filbs123
New Member!
Male 

17-12-2006, 06:33 PM

GSD Pup advice needed (Coprophagia)

Hello everyone I'm new here and it looks a great forum,I have a GSD pup 13 weeks old,when he goes outside for a poo if I am not quick to pick it up he will eat it,I know its not good for his breath but will it harm him and does anyone have any advice on how to stop him.

thank you

Allan
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2006, 06:53 PM

I've not experienced it with any of mine and the only thing I have heard of is to put pineapple in their food, it apparently stops them eating it once they've passed it.
I wouldn't of thought it would do him much good to eat it.
There will be lots of good advice from other members, I'm sure.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Hi and welcome to Dogsey, I've replied in your intro thread.

I have gsd's, and some of my puppies used to do this. My vet told me it is very commong for gsd's to do this?? He advised me to get a tin of SA37 (don't know whether you can get this in Germany??) it is basically all the essential vitamins and minerals a puppy will need, as the usual reason for this is that they are lacking in enzymes, and so eat their poo to try and get them! That's what my vet told me years ago anyway, hope it helps.

Can't wait to see some pics of your baby!!!
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2006, 10:54 PM
I had the same problem with Shadow and just taught him the leave command and picked it up straight away. It stopped as he got older.
filbs123
New Member!
Male 

18-12-2006, 07:16 PM
Thank you..I will try to upload a photo for you Helena...thanks again..Allan
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally Posted by filbs123 View Post
Hello everyone I'm new here and it looks a great forum,I have a GSD pup 13 weeks old,when he goes outside for a poo if I am not quick to pick it up he will eat it,I know its not good for his breath but will it harm him and does anyone have any advice on how to stop him.
thank you

Allan
Hi Allen perhaps your puppy is hungry, how many meals are you feeding him at the moment , he should still be on three meals a day up to the age of six months.

Eating poo is known as Coprophagia and is very common canine behaviour, a dam licks her puppies to encourage them to evacuate and she cleans the nest by licking up after her puppies have soiled.

It is best to pick up the poo as soon as you can. If you are still house training you will be out with your puppy anyway waiting to reinforce with praise (and to begin with a tip bit) the correct behaviour of soiling in the correct place.

It is best not to scold your puppy when you catch him in the act , if you do it will encourage the behaviour, better to call him to you and distract with a toy.
You can add things like chopped pineapple (the enzymes in the pineapple make the poo bitter and unpalatable) but that should not really be necessary if you can prevent it by other means.
petebren
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Had same problem with one of my J Spitz did not kiss her when catching her doing it!!!! Tried all the ideas but nothing worked just time and telling her no when catching her at it, its hard work for now but am sure like mine it will just stop one day, good luck and no kissing!
filbs123
New Member!
Male 

19-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the advice I'l just stop kissing him I think..thanks again

Allan