View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-04-2013, 02:04 PM
If you sense he peeing way too much, check to see if he's got a UTI first.

I understand having water available all the time, but at night I have taken away water with puppies. The pup should be sleeping during the night anyways so I don't find that an issue. Of course as soon as the pup and I wake up in the morning, the water is put back out until bedtime. I find this helps set the puppy up for success since the need to pee during the night is brought way down. Once the pup gets older and can hold it longer, the water is kept down 24-7.

If he's still peeing on the house with the schedule of going out every hour, it's probably too long for him. Scale it down to letting him out every half hour or 45 minutes.

If you can't watch him for whatever reason (taking a shower, going to the bathroom, making something to eat, etc) put him in his crate with something fun. This will also help him to keep associating his crate with some down time and not see it as a punishment for when he did something wrong. But keep in mind not to over use the crate either.
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2013, 10:29 AM
The water up or water down issue seems to be a very cultural thing. I have met a few people from the US and Canada now who take the water up at night and have water drinking schedules for young puppies.

In the uk it is the law that a dog should have access to fresh clean drinking water at all times, which is why we tend to get upset when folk suggest withholding water from their pet.

How old is Nigredo? My lurcher was still having accidents indoors at 9 months! You'll get there in the end, try not to stress or be tempted to deprive him of a drink.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by Pookin View Post
The water up or water down issue seems to be a very cultural thing. I have met a few people from the US and Canada now who take the water up at night and have water drinking schedules for young puppies.

In the uk it is the law that a dog should have access to fresh clean drinking water at all times, which is why we tend to get upset when folk suggest withholding water from their pet.

How old is Nigredo? My lurcher was still having accidents indoors at 9 months! You'll get there in the end, try not to stress or be tempted to deprive him of a drink.
Hi, I was told it was okay to give water on a schedule. I also still withhold water past 8 p.m. which is when he gets his final meal. The food is left down all night so he can eat as much as he wants, but the water is pulled up.

Nigredo is almost 16 weeks. I adopted him on April 3rd (I thought it was the 5th but close enough). I am now using the leash type method where he's leashed when around me to discourage peeing. When he's outside.. he is let off his leash to play and pee as much as he wants.. but indoors he's either crated or leashed right next to me.

He hasn't had any accidents in the past few days because of this... but I know as soon as I let him off the leash indoors, the accidents will start up again so I'm not sure how effective this method will be in the long run.

He does all his poos outside no matter what, but he just pees all over.. I'd actually rather clean up the poo! I see some people from the UK saying they withheld water form puppies too so I'm sure it's not only people from the US and Canada.

I'm not doing it to harm him, I just was told it was okay to give water on schedule. I now have a bowl of water in three rooms, though while he's on his leash etc. he can't get to it most of the time. But I keep his water bowl in his crate filled 100% of the time whereas I used to give it only when he got his food. I also try and keep some fresh water on the porch while he's out playing.

I REALLY hope he gets the hang of this before 9 months. That's insane and I would totally get frustrated.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Seriously, 9 months is still 5 months away! That's longer than he has been alive! He'll get the hang of it, you just have to be a bit more patient. It sounds like he's doing great for only 16 weeks, especially when he's only been with you for 2 of those weeks.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2013, 11:10 AM
I do find boys take a lot longer to get the message than girls and I would expect things to be improving by five months. Just for the record, I have never withheld water from a puppy or adult dog.

Good luck!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Dobionekenobi View Post
Seriously, 9 months is still 5 months away! That's longer than he has been alive! He'll get the hang of it, you just have to be a bit more patient. It sounds like he's doing great for only 16 weeks, especially when he's only been with you for 2 of those weeks.
As above, you have to remember he is ONLY 16 wks old don`t try to run before you can walk, expecting him to be house trained by this age is asking an awful lot to be honest.

Making an issue of him peeing is also not good for his development ,

Restricting his water is NOT going to make him house-trained any sooner, all that will do is mess with his urinary system, as has been already pointed out to you.

Water should be available at all times for dogs to partake when they feel the need to.

You need to chill a little and remember his age you will achieve good house training by being consistent, watching for signs and acting on them instantly.
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2013, 12:02 PM
What everyone else has just said is really good advice.
I always think of puppies as noisy pee machines, they pee all the time, it's what they do.
Try not to feel cross or expect to much from him, he's not being abnormal.
When I say my dog was still having accidents at nine months its not like he was still weeing everywhere without control like a young pup would, he would cock his leg and mark the doorframe every so often.
He came away with me for a few weeks and when we got back the habit was broken (or the smell of his pee on my door had faded enough for him to lose interest!)
I know what you mean about preferring to clean up poo, at least it generally stays in the one place and doesn't spread under furniture etc.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2