Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Colin please don't take this as criticism there is none intended but I am afraid it takes weeks not days to train a puppy, you have had your puppy for one week and she will not even have had time to settle in and feel at home in this time.

Patience, time and persistence is the key to teaching a puppy .

Teaching Bite Inhibition by the APDT...
http://www.apdt.co.uk/content/files/...biting_000.pdf
Weeks? lol! Took me months! Almost a year in fact to trust her off lead! But she isn't motivated by food and I've never used treats to train just copious amounts of quite loud praise and stroking!

Geez I still remember thinking I wasn't going to be able to collect my daughter from school if I couldn't catch my cavvy on the beach before 3pm!
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Puppy nylabone is working with Betty, she now asks for it rather than bite hands, hasn't quite got over the biting noses yet though think that is going to be her thing OUCH !
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Hi My timid pup is doing it to my 6year old,I think it is probably her flexing her muscles just to see how far she can go,but Holly does just turn on her,she then goes into submissive and then starts licking hollies face.I think in human terms its called trying it on,but you must show who is boss,My father had a dalmation,deep chested really boisterous,if he acted up,Dad used a water pistol,and that put him in his place.Out there now there is something to train about Air but it claims to be able to calm the most disobediant dog. good luck crystalgirl
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-02-2013, 10:20 AM
You say you have tried every single one of the suggestions and none of them have worked.
There will not have been time in one week to really stick to one method long enough for it to have an effect or for you to see if it the right one or not. The pup is perhaps a bit confused if you have been chopping and changing.

There is no quick fix or magic bullet that will instantly teach your pup about bite inhibition and appropriate play with humans.

Don't squirt it with a water pistol or an air coller, thats not the best way forward with puppy nipping. Stick to redirecting the pup onto a toy/kong and leading out of room on a house line when she becomes too OTT.

All my dogs seemed like aggressive monsters when they were pups and my lurcher persisted in nipping and mouthing for quite some time, he's a gentleman now though.
BeerHunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-02-2013, 03:25 PM
We've tried getting down to her level (kneeling) so she isn't jumping and staying stationery (not petting her OR letting her bite/nibble) if she gets overly excited and that seems to work as she settles down a lot of the time then.
75% of the time she's a real sweet heart and fun to play with , take for walks etc. It's the other 25% that's driving us crazy.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Pookin View Post
You say you have tried every single one of the suggestions and none of them have worked.
There will not have been time in one week to really stick to one method long enough for it to have an effect or for you to see if it the right one or not. The pup is perhaps a bit confused if you have been chopping and changing.

There is no quick fix or magic bullet that will instantly teach your pup about bite inhibition and appropriate play with humans.

Don't squirt it with a water pistol or an air coller, thats not the best way forward with puppy nipping. Stick to redirecting the pup onto a toy/kong and leading out of room on a house line when she becomes too OTT.

All my dogs seemed like aggressive monsters when they were pups and my lurcher persisted in nipping and mouthing for quite some time, he's a gentleman now though.
Great post. Couldn't agree more especially about 'sticking with it'.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Hi I agree,but when mine was mouthing I let out a loud yelp,that shocked her, and everytime shedid i yelp,she stopped mouthing,but border collies are known to be one,of the most intelligent,so by that you have to be more clever instead of being behind you have to be right in front.crystalgirl
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Whatever method you use - it's important once you find one that works - to stick with it and keep doing the same thing every time they bark or bite or whatever.
alys
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2013, 09:30 AM
A great phrase I was told ' there are two types of handlers ,the quick and the bloody!' my 13 week Doberman pup bites my son ( he is 23,don't panic) because from day one he engaged in rough play,he doesn't bite me because I set boundaries. I only get bitten when I am too slow! Bite inhibition will come, just a painful process sometimes.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2