Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jwelder
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2012, 01:49 AM

Accidentally Potty Patch Training...

We had bought a potty patch for our chihuahua to use on the really cold, wet, nasty days that she hates going out in. She never uses it though and would rather brave the yucky weather. Well we brought home our little Aussie pup Keela and without even being shown it, she used the potty patch and was religiously using it until now.

Our whole plan was that since she was using it so well, to house train her with it just as people paper train puppies and to move it closer and closer to outside as she progressed.

We have had her since Sun, and now she is having accidents on the carpet, I am not sure why she is starting this now and it worries me. I expected her to have a couple accidents, but its like she is now picking our carpet over her patch now.

This is the first time I have ever used a method like this to potty train. My usual is crate training and immediately training them to potty outside. I didn't expect her to give one thought towards that potty patch especially since it wasn't used before. When she started I was so amazed at how good she did with it that I decided to go ahead and use that method. I am usually very against training a dog to go inside using any method, I just wanted to save my chihuahua the shivering! Now I am really regretting it .

Some advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Jwelder
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2012, 02:47 AM
I don't mean to post right after my own post, but I am just going back to the beginning with her. She is 9 weeks old, so I am doing this while there is time for adjustment. I did away with the potty patch and our rug, which we are going to get a new rug when she is fully housebroken.

I am taking her outside now and she is going to get housebroken the way I have always done it. Just because she did well with the patch does not mean that that is the best way to do things. Dogs do well going on carpets and floors too but obviously that is not the way to do it.

We have also brought up the spare crate we had in the basement and are introducing that to her as well. It is a big change for all of us, but for the better I am sure of it this time around!

Also it is time for her to adjust to a good feeding and walking schedule! Hopefully I am not laying down too much of a law here all at once!

Lesson learned: Stick with your instincts!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2012, 08:43 AM
Hello Jerico there is a similar recent thread on the subject here.
Toilet training and puppy pads
Where did your puppy spend his first nights with you?

I really don't like puppy pads, it seems illogical to me to allow a dog to make a mess in the house when you want it to spend its life soiling outside .
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-12-2012, 03:15 PM
I would also check out Mini's article on house-training

House training your puppy

Good luck!
Jwelder
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Thank you! I am very familiar with house training, at least my usual way, for I have fostered many dogs. I just never used anything like the patch and pads and wanted to know your input.

Then I just decided to go back to basics on my own anyway . It is working out really well actually, and those threads were still helpful, you can never have too much info !
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-12-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi Jerico Keela looks like a puppy that will pick things up very quickly anyway , intelligent and cute
Jwelder
New Member!
Female 

04-12-2012, 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Jerico Keela looks like a puppy that will pick things up very quickly anyway , intelligent and cute
Thank you, she is very intelligent! She is doing great with this housebreaking thing lol! She has even took to the crate with flying colors! She is one comical little girl for sure though, always keeps us laughing
I_am
New Member!
Male 

04-12-2012, 07:57 AM
Ah yes, the perils of indoor toilet training.
As my neighbour is discovering.