Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2012, 02:48 PM

Grumpy older dog- help?

Hi guys!

I have two dogs. One Gsd who is about 9 and a younger rescue gsd cross collie who is nearly 2.
Generally they get on great altgough hage had a few squabbles but put up with eachother. They sleep on the same bed and eat/walk together fine. They dont often play but ocassionally will jump on eachother and play that way. They do tolerate eachother but are both very independant.

Anyway my colliex is the happiest most outgoig dog and will play/greet/be xcited to meet anyone or any dog. He comes to work with me and is incredibly obedient. GSD however is much more aloof and wsry of strangers. Some dogs he will greet, others he will take an instant dislike too and will growl at (never bitten) ITs usually bigger bouncier ones he dislikes.

I always walk in a group with my two, my friends two springers and another friends collie and all get on great except my GSD has decided to take on the role of spoiling the fun.He will growl at any dog playing or who is running about/ chasing and the other dogs are starting to snap back at him

He is also grumpy in general, when doing something to him he dislikes such as touching his ears he will growl at me or if my younger dog is playing he will go over and take the toy from him!

How can i teach him to stop growling/snapping at any dog that moves and to tolerate 'new' dogs more easily or is he beyond this age wise?

Its a shame I feel like leaving at home as he spoils the walk for all the others?
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 03:22 PM
First think that came to my mind is he may be in pain or something like that. Hes hiding the pain but its making him grumpy. he may also want a place of his own where he can retreat to should he want to be away from the younger dog and may not be up to long group walks now hes a bit older
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Vet check for me too.
You can also look at training him on walks. GSDs love to have a job to do, so interacting with him on walks, asking him to find or fetch toys, will distract him from the others and take away the need to be Group Monitor.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 03:52 PM
My first thought was possible pain too. I'd get him checked out by a vet. At 9, he could well have sore joints or something which could be why he doesn't was youngsters bouncing all over him!
Littlepony
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Hi everyone!

Sorry forgot to say he has spondylosis and the beginnings of CDRM is already on nsaids/glucosamine etc and has regular pain assessments (I am an RVN)
He is not painful walking, and can run and fly about with the younger ones, he has very few mobility problems and looks 5 if it wasnt for his spine being slightly pronounced.

Sorry for my awful spelling too, trying to type on my phone=impossible

ETA: the others all leave him alone, never jump on him or play with him, they all give him a wide berth!! He has areas to go away from the collie too, as my collie comes to work with me and gsd does not so he get plenty of peace!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Sometimes, we just have to face the fact that our dog isn't a social animal and prefers his own space - just as some people do

However, on saying that, if he has spondylosis I would have thought there would be some pain from time to time. If that's so, then he may just be protecting himself from any pain that he feels may be coming (as opposed to pain he's actually experiencing if that makes sense) by making sure that the group doesn't get too giddy.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-03-2012, 06:59 PM
My Molly is a grumpy bum. She is 11 this year. She is okay with humans, really pleasant, happy little dog.....

Until another dog comes into the equation. She has always been in a multi dog family, however she has never bitten, she will growl to warn them to leave her alone. And they do.

She is definitely the boss!! She will play with Mindy who is only almost 2, until she has had enough! She'll probably last about half an hour.

Then we split em up for a few minutes, and they're okay again. I put it down to the fact that she is now an old lady.