Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 02:55 PM

A training guide

To remind yourself.

I have just over the past few days being compiling all the things all 3 of my dogs know between them and also found it quite funny that I forgot how I taught some of the commands they know. I have in total 25 commands, some tricks, some just the basics and totting up last night, Louie knows 22 of the 25, Sadie knows 17 of the 25 and poor old Benjie knows 8.

I've trained both Louie and Sadie, Benjie would know more if I had trained him, although I have been trying whilst I have him with me..

So as a dog training tip, everytime you learn a new trick or have learn't something new in class, write it down in a book or copy on the laptop, exactly what you did, that way if you get a new puppy or rescue or dog, you can save yourself some time.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 03:49 PM
I find it a good idea to keep a training diary. That way you can look back and see exactly what you've tried to teach, how you've tried to teach it, what seemed to work, what didn't etc.

Especially useful when working on an issue that takes time to resolve. Sometimes progress is so slow that you don't see it and looking back over the weeks/months/years you can see just how far you've come with it, what caused set backs and things like that.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I find it a good idea to keep a training diary. That way you can look back and see exactly what you've tried to teach, how you've tried to teach it, what seemed to work, what didn't etc.

Especially useful when working on an issue that takes time to resolve. Sometimes progress is so slow that you don't see it and looking back over the weeks/months/years you can see just how far you've come with it, what caused set backs and things like that.
Well I have one of those too, but that is just for Louie, if I decide to get a puppy in future I have a guide to look back on and know how to teach it - I forgot how I taught Louie to roll over and how I taught the older two how to beg..