View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 11:46 AM
My two GSDs play fight a lot, they sound as though they are killing one another but there's never a mark on them. The only victim has been a pane of glass in the cupboard door when they fell & hit the cupboard. They never play fight in this way with me, & never have. They play tug of war sometimes with me, but thats all. I am sure your dog is old enough to know that play fighting with a human is different from another dog. However I am lucky my bitch will tell the dog when enough is enough & he respects this. He's even been known when she gets really firm to hide behind my walking frame so I can stop her. As it sounds as though your bitch is allowing him to be too rough at times you will need to step in & check overexuberance, so he learns when, where, & how roughly he can play.
Playing in this way with humans has no relationship to playing with another dog. He must learn right now how & when & what sort of play is allowed with humans & what is not.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 06:33 PM
Just to say I think you've been given some fab advice, especially from SMOKEY BEAR.

If your GSD grows up learning that it's OK to play rough, he will generalise this to other dogs he meets. And that can be a dangerous situation because an older dog or an aggressive dog could put him in his place...

You also never want a situation at a public place where your GSD tries to play rough with a child or any other person - that could be a nightmare.
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Thank you for all your replies, it's very much appreciated. I'd just also like to mention that I have NEVER rough played with Diesel, never played tug with him or anything or allowed him to mouth and neither has anyone else in the house.

I have had Diesel on a longline in the house all day and it has made a huge difference, I have been able to remove him away from Ruby everytime he jumped on her head and eventually he gave up! I also tried it out on our walk and where as he usually chases Ruby who chases a ball. I took two balls, threw one for Ruby in one direction while I stood on the longline so Diesel coudln't chase her, then I distracted him with the other ball and threw it in the other direction for him and did this loads on our walk before, down the beach - it was fantastic (apart from getting rope burn when the line slipped really fast through my
fingers )

It has already made a huge difference and I'm sure Ruby is pleased shes not being continually harrassed.

Some snaps from our walk earlier, with ball and longline!

Sat waiting patiently for me to throw his ball, bless him!

Thanks again for all your advice. Our walk was much easier today and it was our first time with the longline so hopefully it will only get easier!

xx
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Excellent, management is the key, a word of caution. remember this dog is very young, not too much ball throwing as at this age handbrake turns etc can be damaging to tendons and ligaments not to mention bones.

You might like to consider having them both on a line when you throw a ball for HIM, so he has to wait for it to land until he goes for it .

That will also help in self discipline and self control

ps always wear gloves when you have a long line........
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Excellent, management is the key, a word of caution. remember this dog is very young, not too much ball throwing as at this age handbrake turns etc can be damaging to tendons and ligaments not to mention bones.

You might like to consider having them both on a line when you throw a ball for HIM, so he has to wait for it to land until he goes for it .

That will also help in self discipline and self control

ps always wear gloves when you have a long line........
Thanks, I wil bear that in mind when I throw his ball. Also, I'd like to ask you about now he is 6 months old can I start increasing his exercise and how old til he can do a few hours walk on the beach? He is full of energy and I cant wait to have him out on big walks with Ruby

Thanks x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Well I am very conservative, I do not think any dog should have unrestricted exercise until 18 nmonths old. GSDs are late developers, they grow quick but they do not have sufficient muscle to support their bones etc until later.

So I would not consider a few hours exercise until he is at least 18 months old.

Full of energy is fine, but remember, things fall off GSDs!

You can tire him out by doing some mental exercise or tracking is a great muscle builder and tires dogs out.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2011, 09:09 PM
Aww what a cutie Just to add, totally agree with SB, always wear gloves with a longline! I got friction burn across all my fingers and my palm once, a painful lesson I never forgot Never ever forget my gloves now!
pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2011, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well I am very conservative, I do not think any dog should have unrestricted exercise until 18 nmonths old. GSDs are late developers, they grow quick but they do not have sufficient muscle to support their bones etc until later.

So I would not consider a few hours exercise until he is at least 18 months old.

Full of energy is fine, but remember, things fall off GSDs!

You can tire him out by doing some mental exercise or tracking is a great muscle builder and tires dogs out.
Okay dokey, great thanks. He does LOVE to learn so I will do some more mental exercise with him, and look into tracking - not quite sure how to go about it.

Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Aww what a cutie Just to add, totally agree with SB, always wear gloves with a longline! I got friction burn across all my fingers and my palm once, a painful lesson I never forgot Never ever forget my gloves now!
It bloody hurts doesnt it!! x
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

pinkgunner
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2011, 07:25 PM

Thanks for that. Some good tips there. Had another good day with his behaviour today, focusing him on a ball and been able to stop him assaulting Ruby using the longline has been brilliant, such simple things that I hadnt thought of.

I know this is going to sound stupid but what exactly IS body slamming?
x
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »