View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 10:04 PM

Acting weird hiding and looking in the air?

Hi anyone else had their dog do this? My foster suddenly bolted of the settee and tried to get behind various pieces of furniture eventually got behind the tv/xbox dvd etc really safe NOT and wouldn't come out eventually coaxed him out with food,he then did it again and again and kept looking up to the ceiling.He has jumped the stairgate which he hasn't done before and skulked about as if looking to hide untill I got him down,so any ideas ? He's been here nearly 2 weeks now and is a nervous dog but nothing like this and has calmed down a lot or so i thought.....
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 10:25 PM
Maybe a noise or something odd spooked him. Dougal will act anxious for no particular reason on occasion, he did it today, was attached to my leg the whole day including on our walk. Not sure what was bothering him, but he's okay now, lying on his bed snoring happily.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Lets hope it is just that,I did joke that the ghosts were out to play,we live next to a graveyard ! Or perhaps the neighbours have got Kinect.....
SuperflyBadger
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Sometimes our golden retriever Baxter can hear thunder many miles away - and it isnt audible to us - but if he hears it (and given he is petrified of thunder and fireworks) he starts pacing, panting and trying to get himself behind the sofa, the tv, digging at the floor etc. Just a thought?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 09:46 AM
It could even be next door having a row? I took in a little dog who wet herself and hid under the bed when I picked up a black bin bag. We think she`d been dumped in one.
Try a DAP diffuser and Rescue Remedy? And maybe look at the food as some foods can make dogs hyper.
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the ideas he seems to have calmed down today The food he is on has no artificial colours or additives as I am aware they can cause issues and as a lot of rescues are stressy need all the help they can get The protein level isn't too high either,will keep an eye on him, but hope it was a one off noise issue and not an underlying problem.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Definitely sounds as if something just spooked him - but not from the graveyard It is difficult when you don't know a dogs past and what they are frightened of but hopefully it was a one off or if it happens again you may recognise the trigger.
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Could it be a shadow/reflection ? Mine sometimes start barking when they see an odd shadow on the wall
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the ideas will bare them in mind if it happens again .