View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-01-2011, 07:25 PM

Grumpy teenager or something to address?

Alfie has a bad habit making a fuss if I am not holding his lead.
He used to do it when he was younger (he is 10 months now), but it got a bit better when other members of the family started walking him. To the point where he made a small fuss if he sees me going into a shop etc, but after a few secs he forgets and happily sniffs around with dad or whatever... I assumed he would grow out of it but today I noticed that it's getting ridiculous.

We were in the vets today buying food and to get him weighed. I handed the lead to my brother when I was paying, and I LITERALLY wasn't more than 2 feet away, and he was whinging and chewing the lead and acting like I was abandoning him forever...

He likes the vets (the nurses spoil him), and is happy and it's a tiny room so I couldn't disappear, and I was standing in front of him.

He also loves my brother.
Why does he make such a mad fuss when I am not holding the lead?
I don't say anything to him when handing lead over, I don't say anything to him or look at him when I go back over (he goes mad and starts jumping etc which he hardly ever does..), it's bizarre.

In the house he is happy for me to go out without him (ocassionally he makes a fuss, but that really is just teenage mood swings ), and doesn't follow my every move and is happy to be shut out of rooms if I need him out for a bit etc.... and he KNOWS the vets, and knows my brother (he lives here and plays with him all the time!!), and I was in sight, about 2 feet away, why the dramatics?
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2011, 10:44 AM
No one has any idea? Or had anything similar?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I have never had a dog that suffered from "teenage mood swings" and to be quite frank I do not believe dogs have them!

This is just attention seeking and indicates that you need to do more work with him allowing other people to hold the dog etc.

I expect all my dogs to behave when with other people eg the vet (who may take him off to be shaved, jabbed etc) it makes life a lot easier if dogs are taught good manners.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 05:59 PM
Thank you for the reply!
The nurse took him through to be weighed without us and he was fine, just trotted off with her!
It was only when my brother was holding the lead and i was standing like 2 feet away
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 06:04 PM
I would suggest you do some training with your dog re this.

Get someone to hold him, both of you ignore him if he starts to whine, jump etc and then reinforce with food WHEN he has all 4 feet on floor and he is quiet.

Both you and the holder.

If he starts to jump when you approach etc, retreat.

This will ensure that your dog remains calm and controlled.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Perfect - thankyou I will try this