Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 08:52 AM
Hi Michael

These things can and do happen, please try not to beat yourself up about it, it is now the past and you will take heed from it xxx
I would be thankfull that it wasn't much, much worse and that the lady was reasonable about it when you tracked her down xxx
And def put him on a lead from car to house and vice versa.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 03:01 PM
Just wanted to say that I agree with whats been said so far and although he shouldnt have gone over, it may have been he just didnt agree with being growled at 'near/on his turf' as he didnt 'bite' Sounds like youve worked really hard and still will be so try not to feel too bad. No harm came of it and youve sorted things with the owner. Mistakes happen so we can learn.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Try and let go od this and stop replaying it in your head if possible! We all make mistakes and at least you did your best to sort the situation out and make amends.

I think grabbing him may have made him escalate as my male Kerry Blue is a very friendly sociable dog but he feels threatened if grabbed abruptly when near another dog but I don't see what alternative you had.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-11-2010, 05:19 PM
What a difference a nights sleep makes - I was a bit upset last night (is it o.k. for blokes to say that !), both for Locky, and the other owner. Thanks for the replies, we're over it today.

Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I agree, try to relax (so easily said, isn't it ).

Firstly, you did what you felt you needed to do under the circumstances. I think you maybe panicked a bit - do you feel that if you'd originally told him he was a good boy, whilst he was sniffing the other dog, you may have been able to get hold of him more calmly (or even call him to you?).
I don't think I was panicking, I called his name just once, he didn't react, I put the other two "down", and walked deliberately over. He was sniffing at one of the dogs and I thought everything would be allright. Unfortunately (and I'm not in any way trying to absolve myself with what I'm about to say), the other owner was jumping about trying to pull her three away from him. I reached for him, my hand slipped off his collar at about the same time as one of her dogs made a noise (she told me later it was the young male who she herself described as a bit jumpy) -it was at this point that Lock went in and "gripped" him.

If I'd said "good boy" or anything similar, this might have been misinterpreted by the owner as me encourageing Locky to have a go at her dogs - it's a funny world we live in, and some people seem to think I've got three GSD's as some kind of ego extension - although I bought the first from a breeder, I fell for the second one (Locky) when I saw him in the SSPCA centre and couldn't bare to leave him there, and only got the third because I'm such a crap fosterer and couldn't let him go either ! I'd have another rescue if I could afford it.

I suspect that your reactions were sensed by him and they intensified the situation (I hope you don't mind me being honest, we've all been there ). However, we shall never know as none of us are inside Locky's head
As this was happening last night, I was thinking to myself "I wish you'd calm down woman -you're going to set the dogs off!"

I do think some dogs react very instinctively to other dogs outside their own home. I recall 2 incidents where, as a teenager, dogs of mine (lab x whippet) took it upon themselves to run out of the garden and "attack" another dog It's basically guarding/territorial - not sure if this was the case for Rocky, but I suspect it came into it and in fact, if he did feel this way, he did well to come to a halt and sniff. In fact, he was perhaps investigating and thinking rather than intending to fight straight off. That's good, if scary for the other owner.

As I know how many dogs he's met, and how he behaves, I suspect everything would have been ok if the other owner had been calm. I strongly suspect if I'd met her under other circumstances (say I'd had him on-lead) and asked if I could let him meet her dogs, or let him off around her dogs, then everything would have been ok.

I don't think he's gone backwards, in fact in a way this was a predictable thing as I know you realise so all I'd say is that you need to carry on exactly as you have been doing, and simply be more vigilant, use leads etc.

Don't feel bad - you made a mistake and we've all done so.
We can all hold our hands up at some point and say "oh god, what did I do, if only I'd done it differently".
We just happened to meet a Golden Retriever this afternoon - I asked the other owner if I could introduce Locky, the owner was fine about it, I introduced him, then let him off lead. Onwards and upwards as they say
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Aw, glad he was fine with dogs today and you are feeling a bit better about it
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Ir sounds like an Oh B*gger moment to me. We all have them. Those time when our dogs remind us they`re dogs - large carnivores with minds of their own and a totally different value system.
In hindsight you`ll see what you should`ve done - but at the end of the day, no permanent harm was done and the embarrassment wears off. Eventually.
We all learn the hard way sometimes.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Think you did more than many folk would've done and really did your best to make sure all were ok, good for you. Unforseen, unexpected things happen, can't add to what's been said already and glad you feel better today. Often say to myself 'it's a rum do'
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 07:31 PM
I've got nothing more to add really except I'm sorry you had to go through that. It's horrible isn't it?! I would have done the exact same thing.....cruel to be kind and all that. Basically you were only doing what you did to stop an incident getting much worse. You can't blame yourself for that. What you did stopped the other dog from serious injury and therefore saved your dog from a court case.
I'm glad you're feeling better now and it's amazing how forgiving dogs are.
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 07:41 PM
It was an accident, pure and simple, an oh buŁŁer moment as already said!! Dont beat yourself up. You made amends with the person involved.
Upwards and onwards!!
I bet everyone else has put it down to "one of them things!!"
xx
decca234uk
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Who knows the reasons why he reacted like he did, maybe fear, he obviously overreacted to the dog's growl. However you handled the situation well. Punching the dog was the right thing to do under the circumstances. I would never advocate hitting a dog but there are times when we have to ignore our own rules to retrieve a situation. if you had not got the dog to release it could have been nasty.
Maybe you should keep him on a lead for a while.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >