Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
dataretriever
New Member!
Male 

22-09-2010, 07:53 PM

Grumpy Dog?

I'm after some help with one of our Golden Retrievers. Sophie is 9 and has always been a bit possessive with toys/sticks/socks/etc when her sister, Alice, is nearby. She displays this by what we call grumping, i.e. a low grizzly moan building up to a bark and mad staring eyes. We've always dealt with this by putting her toys away and just restricting her access to anything that would cause this.
Over the last couple of months she now does this during the night for no apparent reason. There doesn't appear to be any pattern to it; she does it whether she is on the landing and her sister downstairs, vice versa, both up, both down. Alice is pretty much unfussed by it all but it is seriously disturbing our sleep now. There definitely isn't anything obvious she is being possessive with, we just can't work it out.
When she is "grumping" she is fairly oblivious to commands, we have to 'snap' her out of it by either using a Pet-Corrector hissing spray, or physically tapping her or flicking her (not violently!) Ideally we want her to stop the night time grumping not have to wake up and deal with it
Short of a soundproof Kennel in a remote field I can't think of anything to stop Sophie's behaviour.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 07:48 AM
First of all, could I please suggest that you stop using the pet corrector spray & the taps & flicks to reprimand Sophie. She's "grumping" for a reason & you need to understand that reason so you can put things right.

How do Sophie & Alice get on together at all other times? Are they both spayed?

Do they have free run of the house at all times or do you separate them at night or when you're out?

It sounds like Sophie's "grumps" could be to do with Alice's presence, or proximity. Even if they are separate, Sophie may think Alice is going to approach.

I would suggest that you try spending some more individual time with Sophie, do things that she enjoys (e.g. grooming, games with toys, cuddles, training with treats?). Start to build up her confidence more & make her realise that the things she values, toys/sticks/socks etc, are not in short supply & are always available. If she starts to realise this, then she's far less likely to be worried about them & feel the need to guard her "prized possessions".

However I suspect, that there may be more going on that you haven't mentioned, or noticed, or think is important ~ perhaps things you've just got used to, or take for granted, or think are just personality "quirks". If you are at all worried, then a vet check for any medical causes & a referrral to a qualified canine behaviourist should be the way to go.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 11:50 AM
I think you should take her to the vet and get her thyroid levels checked. Any changes in behaviour can indicate thyroid problems. Ask them to do the TSH, T3 and T4. The other thyroid tests are not conclusive.
dataretriever
New Member!
Male 

23-09-2010, 04:18 PM
Wilbar, you appear to have misunderstood:

Originally Posted by wilbar View Post
First of all, could I please suggest that you stop using the pet corrector spray & the taps & flicks to reprimand Sophie. She's "grumping" for a reason & you need to understand that reason so you can put things right.
We don't reprimand her for this at all. The pet corrector spray emits a hiss and just breaks the cycle of her barking, it is used away from her out of her eyeline. we then give her the command "quiet" and praise her for stopping. She then associates us with the praise and not the noise.

In making this post I was trying to ascertain if anyone else has a dog with a similar problem in order to understand why she is doing it.

How do Sophie & Alice get on together at all other times? Are they both spayed?
yes and absolutely fine except for Sophie's possessiveness over toys.

Do they have free run of the house at all times or do you separate them at night or when you're out?
They have free run of the downstairs when we are out and both upstairs and down at night. If they are separated they get upset and just bark and howl.

It sounds like Sophie's "grumps" could be to do with Alice's presence, or proximity. Even if they are separate, Sophie may think Alice is going to approach.
It makes no difference where Alice is or what she is doing for the night time grumping. We've experimented with lots of different locations for us and both of them, but doesn't make any difference.

I would suggest that you try spending some more individual time with Sophie, do things that she enjoys (e.g. grooming, games with toys, cuddles, training with treats?). Start to build up her confidence more & make her realise that the things she values, toys/sticks/socks etc, are not in short supply & are always available. If she starts to realise this, then she's far less likely to be worried about them & feel the need to guard her "prized possessions".
tried all that, she has free access to her toys from the toy basket, and manages to always find sticks in the garden, it's just when they aren't in her mouth she grumps over them. She is groomed often and has plenty of individual time.

VB. I may have to try the thyroid tests if can't determine what may be causing it, thanks.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Your dog is telling you she`s anxious. The response is to be made noises at and to get her toys taken away. we have to 'snap' her out of it by either using a Pet-Corrector hissing spray, or physically tapping her or flicking her
I would give her a bed away from the other dog, personally. And stop flicking her.
Your vet might also want to test for dementia.
dataretriever
New Member!
Male 

23-09-2010, 06:53 PM
I don't see the anxious argument. She does it from sleeping, whilst she is being fussed, whilst on her own (otherwise perfectly happily) in the garden, etc . It's not accompanied by any other visible signs of anxiousness and they already have separate beds,upstairs and down; it's rare at night they are anywhere near each other when she starts anyway.

It's only rarely we have to resort to the corrector hissing thing, and even rarer touch or flick her (flick, with a finger, like a gentle subbuteo move). You seem to believe I'm beating my dog! A loud clap or foot stamp works too, it's just she gets so focussed on her grumping and we don't want to have to shout to get her out of it, hence the noise to distract her then we can praise and fuss her for being quiet. I am reluctant to fuss her when she is grumping to distract her as it may reinforce the behaviour.

We don't take her toys away when she is awake, rather put them back in her mouth which quietens her down instantly. I am trying to stop the night time barking, that is when we put the toys away. as we always have done. It isn't over toys, this is what I am trying to ascertain!

I thought it might be age related so dementia could fit. I'll have to take her to the vets for the doggy version of a mobility scooter and some Werther's Originals probably.
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 07:32 PM
this sounds like a friends dog who was displaying similar behaviours...she recently has been treated for severe arthritis and is a lot better and has stopped being such a 'grumpy old bitch' xx
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

23-09-2010, 09:29 PM
I think it could be pain/discomfort related or medical in some way.
See what thee vet says and maybe put her on pain killers to see what effect this has.

With regards to fixing it of is purely behavioural.
I would suggest you try and find the trigger (not the other dog) and elminate that or get her used to it.
E;G could she be recating to a street lamp or similar shinning on the landing?
Maybe have her sleep elsewhere to see what happens.

I suppose if you can't find the trigger or eliminate her reaction to it you could try a remote spray collar (not on the dog) but hidden out of sight somewhere then you activate when she starts off.

Adam
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Hi, sorry to hear about the problems, sounds a bit of a problem especially during the night time!

Have I got this right? she will grump at the other dog even if she is say, in the garden and the other dog is say, in a room quite a way away? Sorry, just making sure I've got the right idea

If this is correct, can you describe exactly what happens? does she run to the other dog, stay where she is, or what?

Wys
x
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Hi Jonathan and welcome

I'm after some help with one of our Golden Retrievers. Sophie is 9 and has always been a bit possessive with toys/sticks/socks/etc when her sister, Alice, is nearby. She displays this by what we call grumping, i.e. a low grizzly moan building up to a bark and mad staring eyes. We've always dealt with this by putting her toys away and just restricting her access to anything that would cause this.
Over the last couple of months she now does this during the night for no apparent reason. There doesn't appear to be any pattern to it; she does it whether she is on the landing and her sister downstairs, vice versa, both up, both down.
Alice is pretty much unfussed by it all but it is seriously disturbing our sleep now. There definitely isn't anything obvious she is being possessive with, we just can't work it out.
When she is "grumping" she is fairly oblivious to commands, we
have to 'snap' her out of it by either using a Pet-Corrector hissing spray, or physically tapping her or flicking her (not violently!) Ideally we want her to stop the night time grumping not have to wake up and deal with it
sorry I am not fully understanding your post but I think you are saying that when Sophie is 'grumping' during the night it doesn't include the presence of toys, she is just doing the 'barking and staring' during the night?

The first thing I would do is to speak to the vet, any change in behaviour should be investigated.
At 9 years Sophie may have a degree of CCD (canine cognitive dysfunction which is similar to Alzheimer's in humans) . This condition can cause elderly dogs to behave oddly including during the night/staring/barking. It can be helped with medication.

There could also be some other medical condition causing the problem.
The last thing I would do would be to use pet correction sprays or flicking which do not address to problem and could cause other behavioural problems.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >