Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 03:06 PM

Grumbly dog.

Shamus is a (probably) 7 yo GSP. He`s fairly laid back, none too bright and a bit of a klutz. He is happiest when either curled up in front of a fire or running round and round a bush that might have a pheasant in it.
I`ve had him 2 to 3 years now. When we got him he would utter blood-curdling growls if people stood behind him or touched his back. Or if someone made eye contact. I know it was fear based. So we ignored him and he gradually got more confident and stopped.
He`s now started again when anyone else (ie not me) approaches him beside the fire or if he`s found a comfy spot. I`m pretty sure he`s got some back pain when cold/wet or early arthritis and he`s getting supplemets for it.
So it is partly resource guarding and partly a medical thing.
I tell everyone to just leave him alone - do you think this is the right approach? My boys do tend to just say Shut Up Shamus and ignore his growls - and the other dogs take no notice whatsover.
sorry this is so long.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Shamus is a (probably) 7 yo GSP. He`s fairly laid back, none too bright and a bit of a klutz. He is happiest when either curled up in front of a fire or running round and round a bush that might have a pheasant in it.
I`ve had him 2 to 3 years now. When we got him he would utter blood-curdling growls if people stood behind him or touched his back. Or if someone made eye contact. I know it was fear based. So we ignored him and he gradually got more confident and stopped.
He`s now started again when anyone else (ie not me) approaches him beside the fire or if he`s found a comfy spot. I`m pretty sure he`s got some back pain when cold/wet or early arthritis and he`s getting supplemets for it.
I tell everyone to just leave him alone - do you think this is the right approach? My boys do tend to just say Shut Up Shamus and ignore his growls - and the other dogs take no notice whatsover.
sorry this is so long.
Has he been checked out by your vet? I ask because my Ollie (2 yr old GSP) has a problem with his back, which manifests itself as him refusing to leave his bed and go for his walk occasionally. It responds very well to anti-imflammatory drugs. He doesn't grumble, just refuses to budge when it flares up.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2010, 03:39 PM

Hi Claire 'he stopped' , that says it all really.

If Shamus has started growling again to my way of thinking he is saying 'Watch it, I am an elderly chap in pain here keep your distance' .

What would I do? Give him a bit of space and ignore him and if anyone new is on the scene tell them to do exactly that and why.

I hurt my knee really badly last year and have a pretty good idea how Shamus may be feeling, I think I may have growled a couple of times. Bless him I think he deserves a bit of understanding .
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Thanks - It`s really only when he`s overdone it and it`s cold, so I don`t really want to start anti-inflammatories yet - or maybe I should?
He`s welcome to his spot by the fire
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 04:32 PM
I, too, would leave him be, Claire, although I would be checking with the vet to see if they think it's time for the AF's.

Hugs - gentle ones - for Shamus xxx
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 04:33 PM
Thanks - It`s really only when he`s overdone it and it`s cold, so I don`t really want to start anti-inflammatories yet - or maybe I should?
hi
you could compromise,and give him short courses when he has 'overdone' it,and see if that helps.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi
you could compromise,and give him short courses when he has 'overdone' it,and see if that helps.
This is what Ollie has and they always sort him out in a couple of days.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 04:37 PM
We have a great qualified for animals chiropracter, if you can find a good one in your area they are worth going to. Better than a vet in some situations and certainly worth a go.

rune
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-04-2010, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi
I agree with Layla and would try giving them when Shamus appears to be at his worst . With the summer coming and hopefully a bit of warmth Shamus may find a bit of relief from his aching joints.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Have you thought about trying devils claw? It's a natural anti inflammatory and worked wonders for my old Lab, along with Synflex (although Synflex is bloody expensive with larger dogs!).