Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
If you want to come along, we are meeting for a GSD walk tomorrow morning (11:00am) at Elmdon park. You can come along and see her with a pack of dogs if you want. All the dogs on the walk are friendly (mine is a noisy, gobby one, but is friendly) and they generally just do their own thing.

Up to you
Thanks ever so much for the lovely offer, I would have loved to have come but can't make that time tomorrow. Maybe we would be able to meet up at a later date!

Ali xx
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Thanks ever so much for the lovely offer, I would have loved to have come but can't make that time tomorrow. Maybe we would be able to meet up at a later date!

Ali xx
Of course. That is not a problem. Laura (Stumpywop) will tell you what my moose is like, so you can be prepared lol.

We are also walking at the Lickey Hills tomorrow at 11:00am if you are able to make that (as with anyone on here).

Where abouts in Birmingham are you?

Jen
kiemeira
New Member!
Female 

30-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by aliwin View Post
Not sure where to start with this really. Molly is 8 and I feel like a complete failure with her. I have gone from being excited about the prospect of our new pup to thinking we will never be allowed to have her.

I have had her since a pup and she has never had anything awful happen to her even tho she was a rescue.
Up until 2 months ago she had a springer pal but we had to have him pts. They got along well and were always together. When on walks and that they never really bothered with other dogs as they had each other. But now when I take Molly to the park we are having problems with others dogs. To begin with she barked and pulled to get at them but I worked with her and now she will happily walk past and not really bother about them. But when we go to sniff she approaches happily and sniffs but then snaps at them. This happened first when we tried to adopt a dog from the dogs home and they weren't happy to let him go whilst she did that. So we went to training, started at dogs with issues but she was golden not reacting at all to other dogs whatever they did. She has done this again tonight in the park. I'm now terrified to do the meet with the new pup as I think she will do it again. Even though I am certain that she would be fine with her at home.

Is she telling me she doesn't like other dogs? I just don't understand what she is trying to tell me or how to progress this forward. I'd love your idea's guys. Any help appreciated
i dont know but dont hold the puppy higher than her or she will think its favered etc.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Hi Ali,

Thanx for allowing Yiannis, Oscar and myself to meet you and Molly today. i think Molly was very well behaved, even when she told Yiannis off for standing on her wih his clumpy feet (I think secretly she wanted that cow pat to herself!).

She certainly isn't aggressive or vicious. I think she needs to meet new dogs slwly and on her terms, not have dogs (of any age) forced upon her and puished in her face. I think you'll have problems if htis happens, as you did at the Dogs' Home.

If/When she meets new dogs, keep the both on lead until both dogs are calm and not barking o rmaking any silly noises to get to each other. Then allow them to approach slwly and they can have a sniff. When one turns away then lead the other one away. If they want to go back for more then allow them to. Dogs use their noses to meet and greet mostly to suss out who th eother person/dog is, so the more enthusiastic sniffing that goes on the better.

As today, i think Molly shodl be walked alongside any new dog for a short while. Half and hour in total should be enough. As we saw today, she didn't take a blind bit of notice of Yiannis until they were both off lead after the preliminary sniffs and snuffles, then they chased each other all over the place.

I thnk it's alaso important for Molly to stop when you know she's had enough. Yiannis can run about like that all day (although I thought he was limping at one stage) but I know Molly can't so rather than compeltly wearing her out, it's a more positive experience for her overall if the social time is stopped before she becomes sore again. This way, she'll look forward to making new friends with dogs rather than dreading it because she thinks she'll end up in pain.

I think Molly barking at other dogs to begin with is a combination of a couple of things. Firstly she did it today only when on lead. If on lead then you have control, not her (Which is how it should be) but if Molly decides she needs to run away, she can't if she's connected to you. She doesn't have the freedom to be able to make that decision.
Also, if you are apprehensive about meeting others then she'll pick up on how you're feeling and this may add to her barking. She certainly isn't barking out of fear or agression, that's for sure.

Also, when off lead she didn't bark at Yiannis at all (except for when he trod on her!). Een though she knew you were there to protect her, she had the freedom to run away from him if she wanted to.

All in all, I think it went very well and I don't think there are any "issues" with Molly's behaviour at all. Yiannis must smell of Molly 'cos since getting home the other 2 hqaven't left him alone - unles it's the cow poo they're sniffing at?!

Look forward to walking with you and Molly again. maybe we shoudl come over your way next time and I'll bring Zane. Once Molly has met Ellie too, then we could walk with 2 of my dogs in different combinations then work up to 3. Over time Molly will be happy walking in a group of ogs whether on or off lead.

Text me when you're ready and we can arrange another walk.

Laura xx
aliwin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2009, 05:11 PM
Laura,

Thanks to you, Oscar and Yiannis for meeting us this morning. I feel less anxious about the whole thing now! Lets hope that the Dogs Trust give her the time she needs to meet her new friend!

I think you are right about the cow pat she just didn't want to share Although she doesn't smell too bad at the mo but then maybe thats because she's sleeping by Dave

She has been out for the count since we got back!

Would love to meet up again and I think my Ellie would love to meet Oscar and the dogs although I can't imagine I will shift either of my boys off the sofa tho you never know!

I will text you soon and we'll do that walk.

Thanks again

Ali and Molly
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Great! Oscar's looking forward to meeting your Ellie on our next walk already.

I think you did very well today also. I know it's easier said than done if you're anxious about something.

The Dogs' Trust should allow you & Molly (& family) to get used to the new pup and whether it takes a coupel of visits or 10 visits, I'm sure they'll be OK with it. If you explain that introductios need to be done slowly with Molly and consistently over time I'm sure they'll understand and you'll have her home with you all in no time at all.

Laura xx
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2