Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Lene View Post
This 'phrase' means NOTHING, unless to dog has been taught the meaning.

Which Shadow has been taught, It's the same with ANY command, useless unless the dog is taught the meaning.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 01:35 PM
Surely the whole point of teaching "enough" IS to teach the meaning, then to use it as necessary?! That's what 'teaching' is...
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
Surely the whole point of teaching "enough" IS to teach the meaning, then to use it as necessary?! That's what 'teaching' is...
yeah I'm with you on that
Fabi
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-06-2009, 11:39 PM
I would teach him when it is and not acceptable to bark, growl etc. You need to give him rules, boundries and consquences (good/bad), you/family need to be a pack leaders who are consistent in training.

When strangers come onto the property let him bark and give him praise. I teach every dog I've owned to alert me when someone comes to my door. When the behaviour starts that you do not want, get up from where you are and stand in front of him and back him away, blocking with your hand and body as he tries to go forward. Don't use words, think about the dog, he does not understand English so any words or tone of voice with those words is a bark to the dog. Now he has you barking with him.......he has iniated the game and has the pack reacting to his behaviour as you have joined in, he is in control and you backing him up, barking!!!

Dont close him in another room but rather keep it open, if you must back him out of the room through the door, claim the space of the doorway (as above), this shows him you are in control. He is allowed to enter the room everytime as long as the behaviour has stopped. It is not him that you do not accept, but his behaviour.

He will learn very quickly if you and your family are always quick to training. The very slightest hint (you know the signs) be at the ready. And never, never allow him to get away with the behaviour you don't want. When he has done well give him praise and a good petting, using his name. Never use his name is punishment as he will learn his name is not positive.

As for a behaviourist, after a check up with the vet ask for a recommendation. Ask for references and check if any complaints have been logged with the organisational body the behaviourist belongs too.
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:34 AM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
I would try the 'enough' phrase before resorting to these methods, Shadow gives a growl and heckles when he hears a dog bark outside, someone goes past our door, postie etc and like Tillymint I tell him enough and treat, he now doesnt need the treats and just telling him 'enough' is enough lol!!
As I said: the phrase is not enough! you need to teach it, and Leanne you didn't say that... just "try the 'enough' phrase..."

The dog doesn't understand English, and you might as well use any word that comes to your mind...

I know of a dog, who's keyword to eat is 'black'... He'll only eat when he hears that word...

BTW... Ben does respond to 'enough'.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 08:12 AM
This is interesting. Rio has started growling recently when people come to the house, although she never growls at children, they always get a bum wiggle instead! We had an accountant round the other night though and she did appear to be quite menacing when he came in. The man was pretty nervous, but Lee just led Rio to her bed and she laid down. But he got the evil eye from her.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by Lene View Post
As I said: the phrase is not enough! you need to teach it, and Leanne you didn't say that... just "try the 'enough' phrase..."

The dog doesn't understand English, and you might as well use any word that comes to your mind...

I know of a dog, who's keyword to eat is 'black'... He'll only eat when he hears that word...

BTW... Ben does respond to 'enough'.

I may be wrong but I think Leanne meant teach him "enough" as did I - not just tell him "enough" & hope he gets it!

We've got ourselves into a daft situation where if Tilly has stolen something & won't give it back for a treat, if I say "clean teeth" she will drop anything!
and clean teeth is a piece of dentastick or a carrot!
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I may be wrong but I think Leanne meant teach him "enough" as did I - not just tell him "enough" & hope he gets it!

We've got ourselves into a daft situation where if Tilly has stolen something & won't give it back for a treat, if I say "clean teeth" she will drop anything!
and clean teeth is a piece of dentastick or a carrot!
Yes Tilly that's what I meant was that you need to teach your dog the meaning, when you want the dog to bark and not to!
Lene do you really think I'm going to spout out commands to my dog without teaching the meaning of it? It's like telling a child to go potty without actually telling what the potty is! Maybe I should have been more clearer with my posts but I'm sure other ppl and the OP got what I was saying better than how I was explaining it
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-06-2009, 07:23 AM
Tillymint and Leanne, I knew what you meant Thanks
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2