Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-06-2009, 03:08 PM

Growling...argh!

Jago has, for some time, been growling when he hears people coming into the house, even if it's my kids coming in. If it's someone he recognises, he stops. Sometimes if it's someone who h doesn't know he'll stop once they 'speak' to him but sometimes he carries on growling even when they are 'speaking' to him. He growls and barks if cars go past he doesn't recognise as ours, he growls when he sees someone around that's not a family member. He barked at our neighbours for a whole afternoon a few weeks ago when we were out of the house and they were in their garden (he was left in the living rooma nd could see them through the window, he's not left in the living room anymore... We were at the vet yesterday and he growled when the vet came through to the waiting room from the back room. It's starting to drive me a bit nuts! I've tried ignoring it, I've tried putting him out of the room when he starts growling, I've tried telling him off (verbally) but nothing has worked. I've tried rewarding him for being quiet when someone is at the door (times are few and far between), not worked.
When he starts growling, his tail goes up, his hackles go up and he starts puffing out his cheeks but he doesn't appear to be aggressive, although we have known him to show 'aggression' before. He went for my MIL but didn't actually leave a mark on her despite getting her arm in his mouth . He also knocked over the little boy from next door when he ran into the garden holding my sons hand. Help! I'm fed up of this.
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by peedie View Post
Jago has, for some time, been growling when he hears people coming into the house, even if it's my kids coming in. If it's someone he recognises, he stops. Sometimes if it's someone who h doesn't know he'll stop once they 'speak' to him but sometimes he carries on growling even when they are 'speaking' to him. He growls and barks if cars go past he doesn't recognise as ours, he growls when he sees someone around that's not a family member. He barked at our neighbours for a whole afternoon a few weeks ago when we were out of the house and they were in their garden (he was left in the living rooma nd could see them through the window, he's not left in the living room anymore... We were at the vet yesterday and he growled when the vet came through to the waiting room from the back room. It's starting to drive me a bit nuts! I've tried ignoring it, I've tried putting him out of the room when he starts growling, I've tried telling him off (verbally) but nothing has worked. I've tried rewarding him for being quiet when someone is at the door (times are few and far between), not worked.
When he starts growling, his tail goes up, his hackles go up and he starts puffing out his cheeks but he doesn't appear to be aggressive, although we have known him to show 'aggression' before. He went for my MIL but didn't actually leave a mark on her despite getting her arm in his mouth . He also knocked over the little boy from next door when he ran into the garden holding my sons hand. Help! I'm fed up of this.
Tilly does this too but only whe she's sitting on the window ledge not when people come in , just things that are going past. Sometimes it goes on to a full blown bark & if I want her to stop I use the same 1 word every time "enough" & a treat when she stops. I saw this on Victoria Stillwell programme with consistency. Now I just "enough" and she stops & I praise her.
dkittyville
New Member!
Female 

11-06-2009, 09:29 PM
try an anti barking collar ,you might find it helpful.Iknow of some owners using the spray type collars with success .good luck
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally Posted by dkittyville View Post
try an anti barking collar ,you might find it helpful.Iknow of some owners using the spray type collars with success .good luck
I would try the 'enough' phrase before resorting to these methods, Shadow gives a growl and heckles when he hears a dog bark outside, someone goes past our door, postie etc and like Tillymint I tell him enough and treat, he now doesnt need the treats and just telling him 'enough' is enough lol!!
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-06-2009, 10:15 PM
I would get his eyes checked by a vet
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Hi Peedie , you say ..
Jago has, for some time, been growling when he hears people coming into the house, even if it's my kids coming in
this sounds as though Jago hasn't always done this, is this something which started recently and if so can you remember when it started.
I agree with Gemma , first thing is a vet check to see if there is any medical condition causing the problem.

If no medical condition can be found I would ask the vet for a referal to a behaviourist belonging to a reconised organisation like the APBC http://www.apbc.org.uk/
If Jago is insured this may be covered by your insurance.

I would not tell Jago off for growling, he is telling you something is wrong and if you try to prevent him giving a warning he may stop doing so and take the next step.
I would also ask people not to approach Jago, call him to them but give him the option to refuse to go to them if he is not comfortable with the situation.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2009, 11:21 PM

Huge danger of using the collar at the wrong time and the dog becoming worse as it will associate the collar with the people and get more aggressive.

Be an idea to get someone to come out and help you with the problem.

rune
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 07:14 AM
Hi, yes you're right he's not always done this. He has always barked when new cars arrived at the house but the whole thing evolved into this growling malarkey when we moved house, in with my in-laws while we were building a new house. It got worse while we were there and has carried on ever since. We did get a behaviourist out after the MIL incident to try and figure out what on earth happened and why he did it. It wasn't for the growling right enough. I'll try teaching him 'enough' before splashing the cash ha ha! I think I'll use a clicker for it, I'll have to keep a goody bag permanently clipped to my jeans lol
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Not a good idea really, as it's so much better to find out what is the reason behind the problem, rather than just suppress it, when it may be shown in other ways (eg aggression without any warning whatsoever....)

Wys
x
Lene
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Originally Posted by **Leanne** View Post
I would try the 'enough' phrase before resorting to these methods, Shadow gives a growl and heckles when he hears a dog bark outside, someone goes past our door, postie etc and like Tillymint I tell him enough and treat, he now doesnt need the treats and just telling him 'enough' is enough lol!!
This 'phrase' means NOTHING, unless to dog has been taught the meaning.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >