Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
westyorkschick
New Member!
Female 

21-01-2011, 12:26 PM

Incessant barking and licking in elderly spaniel

Hello All, I have a 13 yr old springer spaniel who up until arround 9months ago never really barked in the house. He barks seemingly for no reason, usually after he has been for a walk and been fed almost as though he immeadiatly forgets he's been fed and is asking for food. I've tried splitting his meals up into smaller more frequent portions but this hasn't made any difference.

Arround the same time as the barking began he also became very interested in licking things- be it the leather sofa or the bottom of my trousers. I;ve tried all the usual distraction techniques toys etc but nothing seems to work. Often if I stop him from licking (by moving his head) he will then start with the barking.

He is in reasonable health for his age (he is on vetmedin for his heart and seroquin for his joints and the vet found earlier this week that he has an enlarged testicle, which will have to be monitored as they dont want to operate because of his weak heart. He is also on a renal diet as his kidneys are starting to go) still enjoys his twice daily walks and his behaviour towards my other dog hasn't changed. He is very affectionate still with people and doesn't wander roudnthe house like my last elderley dog used to (as though he was confused)

My vet thinks it is senility due to age, does nayone have any suggestions as to the cause or more importantly anything that I can do to try and lessen the barking and licking? It's really hard to tell if he is actually distressed but sometimes he will bark constantly for a couple of hours to the point where his front feet lift off the ground every time he barks and this isn;t normal behviour.

Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Has your vet prescribed the medication for senility? This helped a friends` dog with the more distressing effects (pacing etc). It did make him very sleepy but tbh that wasn`t a bad thing.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Has he had his hearing tested? He may be going slightly deaf and the barking has increased as a result of that?

Also, the licking is a stress relief. Dogs usually lick because they feel anxious and it relieves that anxiety.

Your vet should be able to help sooth him if this is the case with some medication or natural remedies like DAP or Zyklene I would have thought.

Poor darling, give him a hug from us xx
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
Has your vet prescribed the medication for senility? This helped a friends` dog with the more distressing effects (pacing etc). It did make him very sleepy but tbh that wasn`t a bad thing.
Vivitonin, it might help.

rune
westyorkschick
New Member!
Female 

01-02-2011, 12:22 PM
I have started useing the DAP spray and diffuser which has helped with the licking and barking. I have been back to see my preferred vet who has prescribed vivitonin which will also increase the blood flow to the heart so is good news all round.
The vet has said that she is happy with him, he doesn;t appear distressed and is in good bodily condition, she has also recommedned the DAP collar.
As a side effect of the diffuser my exciteable young lad cross has calmed down!

Thanks for all your help