View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-04-2010, 04:58 PM
The more levels they have the lower the first level will be for the dog.

I believe any attempt at pr will involve al element of np. Unless the animal is recieve a constant flow of treats. But as BB says this is less important than the training.

I think very laterally Rune. In fact e collar use as I do is the most lateral way to deal with many issues.

Re correct use. I believe my approach is correct, but I would wouldn't I !

The thing I find is people are unwilling or unable to put their animal through a long drawn out (and usually stressful) rehab programe without seeing any results, and frankly I would be too. The e collar allows much better training and a much better life for dogs.

I have worked with several dogs that were recomended pts by other trainers and now live full lives. This is what matters, not peoples perception of the tool. I just worry that peoples perception will lead to a ban which will jeapordise animal welfare.

Adam
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Are you in Bideford, Adam?
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

22-04-2010, 09:33 PM
No I'm not, why?
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 06:35 AM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
I believe any attempt at pr will involve al element of np.
Scientifically that's not correct though Adam.
What you believe is up to you - but what is real is shown by observable scientific evidence....and I know some shock collar merchants have lied, blatantly, about this aspect to diss reward trainers. Why? fear, I suppose, on their part. Don't become a blind person to true OC, whatever else you do.

Unless the animal is recieve a constant flow of treats. But as BB says this is less important than the training.
I will simply agree to disagree - I think it's clear that although -p is used, it's not continuous or associated with +R, in the same way as +p is associated with -R based training. So I'm sticking with the science and observable behaviour.

I just worry that peoples perception will lead to a ban which will jeapordise animal welfare.

Adam
I've said it before and I'll say it again - firstly, just supposing shock collars do "save" some dogs. (I don't agree they are needed to do this, but anyway, for the sake of argument we'll say they do). That doesn't negate all the dogs who are trained using shock collars that suffer or have horrible lives, or even lose their lives. It doesn't negate the pain and frustration suffered by the horses either, who likely have ulcers, but who are instead punished for their stable vices of crib biting....

I've never yet seen one video where a dog who has been trained using a shock collar looks genuinely a happy confident, dog. I've seen plenty that show desperate dogs that appear eager; I've seen evidence of shock collar pain cut out of videos that earlier showed the pain (and this above all is a huge evidence that shock collar supporters know the pain is there, but they edit it all out so that videos look OK).

I think they thought that those watching did not have very sharp eyes, which is almost funny if it weren't so sad - and then you get gundogs who look frankly depressed as they are punished even when they race to beat the stim in their training, and so on. Some shock collar users want the dog to know the pain comes form them, some don't.And then you get the APBC case histories in which one dog died as a direct result of shock collar use. But all the time the dogs are sufferingbecause of the use of shock collars, whether the supporters can admit that, or not.

To be honest Adam, if they were that good, I'd use them myself. I'd want one, no indeed, I'd be clamouring to have at least one in my toolkit. If they are that successful and that "kind", I'd have no qualms in using one, and in using it often on pet dogs.

There is a reason that I don't have one and don't use them

Wys
x
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2010, 10:38 AM
The more levels they have the lower the first level will be for the dog.

I believe any attempt at pr will involve al element of np. Unless the animal is recieve a constant flow of treats. But as BB says this is less important than the training.

[I]I think this is a very simplistic & naive view of +ve R & totally ignores the principles of clicker training, shaping & classical conditioning. There are plenty of people using +ve R that don't rely on "a constant flow of treats" & if you think that this is all +ve R is, then you really don't understand how learning theory works.[/I]

I think very laterally Rune. In fact e collar use as I do is the most lateral way to deal with many issues.

The use of ecollars is certainly not lateral thinking! It is the application of pain/fear/shock/surprise or whatever you want to call applying an electric shock to an animal, to force it into suppressing a behaviour. That's not lateral thinking, or clever, or ethical. In fact it is the very simplistic use of +ve P without taking into account any other factors that affect an animal's behaviour.

Re correct use. I believe my approach is correct, but I would wouldn't I !

Yes you would, but only because you clearly don't understand the limitations of using operant conditioning & it appears that the only tool in your behavioural modification box is OC.

The thing I find is people are unwilling or unable to put their animal through a long drawn out (and usually stressful) rehab programe without seeing any results, and frankly I would be too. The e collar allows much better training and a much better life for dogs.

The use of proper management techniques and OC principles, plus a thorough understanding of classical conditioning, ethology & behavioural physiology should ensure that any rehab programme is free of stress. If a rehab programme causes even more stress then it's not going to work long term & it's not going to be very pleasant for the animal!

If you are finding that your clients are unwilling or unable to work through a rehab programme that takes more than 10 minutes of shocking their pet, then I would suggest that you are not explaining to them properly about the reasons for the behaviours, the changes in the management of their pet that are needed & the benefits of using +ve R. It seems more likely that you are just sympathising with them about how difficult life must be for them with an "ill-behaved" animal, & here's how to "fix" it quickly! There's no thought for the dog in this at all. Unfortunately your clients will assume that you have the professional knowledge, qualifications, experience & ethical considerations that allow them to use the ecollar method. The result, unfortunately, is that you are being positively reinforced for your behaviour, which will lead to you relying on ecollar use more & more!

It is VITAL that trainers & behaviourists consider how an animal is managed before embarking on a rehab programme. Domestic animals are more often than not, caught in a conflict between the pull of domestication (our needs) & the drive of millions of years of evolution (nature's needs). When these factors are pulling in different directions, behavioural needs are frustrated & unsatisfied, & stress builds up. It is a scientific fact that where you get accumulated stress you get a proportionate decline in the ability to learn. How much does your attention ability drop off when you are stressed?

The benefits of using proper management to get rid of baseline stress with +ve R to build confidence & maximise an animal's potential for learning & success are complementary systems. No they are not necessarily the 10 minute quick fix programmes that your clients may want, but they do address the long term benefits & the welfare of the dog. Surely anyone who cares for their pet would be prepared to put in a little more time & effort into a rehab programme than a few sessions of electric shocks?

I have worked with several dogs that were recomended pts by other trainers and now live full lives. This is what matters, not peoples perception of the tool. I just worry that peoples perception will lead to a ban which will jeapordise animal welfare.

This is rather an ingenuous statement! You haven't said what the problems were, what rehab programmes were tried, why other trainers recommended euthanasia, & most importantly, whether the owners were compliant in carrying out the previous rehab programmes correctly & with commitment! And when you say the dogs now live full lives, it does beg the question as to whether the dogs are now well-behaved from the owner's perception, but living lives full of fear & apprehension, frustration at having to suppress normal behavioural drives and whether other problems have arisen that the owners are prepared to live with as the impact on their own lives is far less!

Adam
Adam ~ I think you need to consider the animal's needs more in your dog training work. It's not all about having "happy" clients who think you're wonderful because you appear to have "fixed" a problem that other dog trainers haven't. If you truly want to help the animals that you work with, then you need to be able to provide clients with ALL the facts, not just lend them a collar that will give their dog an electric shock. If you do this, then frightening part is that your clients will think it's ok to use physical punishment to train their dogs, or to fix behavioural problems because that nice lad Adam says it's ok. And he's a "professional" so he must know what he's talking about!
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

05-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Now, I suppose I'd better admit to the cruel method I used to deter my Kali's interest in sheep (he was a Border Collie from a working farm).

Cruelly, I attached his lead, then cruelly took him over the road to a fence which had about 20 sheep lined up at it. Then, whenever he made even a slight movement towards them, I drew him back, and told him firmly "Not your business!" He grew up to be a sheepdog that didn't want to know about sheep! He was always walked near stock ON a lead - not only did the local farmers accept that he was under control, they could SEE that he was.

No electronics involved.

Snorri
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

05-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Wb
I always consider the animals needs, in fact I put the animals needs (e;g continued life/good quality of life) above that of anything else such as the owners discomfort about a certain approach ect. Being very caring is great as long as it has actual positive consequences for the dog. Its pointless if it doesn't.

Sp.
You method is excatly the same as mine except the aversive used is coming from you. Consider collies are sensitive to human interact I'd bet the dog experiencced a greater level of mental discomfort as part of the training than an e collar would have created. You also have the risk that if the dog were to get out/get lost and came upopn sheep he wouldn't have you around to remind him not to do it. With the e collar the sheep remind the dog not to do it.

Ww
Latest thinking seems to be that reward based training will involve aversives as the desire for the treat (frustration, hunger, ect) is percieved as an aversive. Regardless of how well you train the dog has to want the treat else it won't work.
Re the np, basically your starting from a state of np, no treats, and using the treats as pr. So the training is involviong np.

Adam
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2010, 08:55 PM
LOL You are a fast learner AP ---shame you are learning from the wrong people!

rune
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 07:20 AM
...Latest thinking seems to be that reward based training will involve aversives as the desire for the treat (frustration, hunger, ect) is percieved as an aversive. Regardless of how well you train the dog has to want the treat else it won't work.
Adam, what's the exact source please of this alleged "latest thinking?"

Wys
x
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2010, 07:31 AM
The latest thinking is that exams are over and heigh ho is it going to be gap year or college with the oiks?
But on topic - the most recent developments in animal behaviour have confirmed that positive methods work best.
And they not only work best, but that they also produce well-adjusted trainers.
Don`t you feel that using vicious methods merely serves to reinforce sadistic tendencies in the perpetrator if they are already that way inclined. Or maybe they get desensitised, as abused children are to violence?
Page 36 of 77 « First < 26 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 46 > Last »