Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by Razcox
I refuse to believe that a fox hunt is the best and and most humain way to control foxes! How is being run to exhustion scared to death for hours then either being torn to shreds or having terriers shoved in your face better then a bullet?? We are talking about a fox here not a buffalo and wouldnt need a lot to be taken out very swiftly! anyone that has taken the time and trouble to get a rifle (lets face it the amount of red tape involed means you have to be pretty serious) must be some what acomplised and skilled with it. Even if two shots are needed (and from my experience with my brother in law this doesnt happen very often) its still over in less then a min rather then the hours of a hunt.

Which makes it a harder target to shoot, a Buffalo is a huge aninal, ,which makes an easy target, fox on the other hand is not, which makes it a harder target for a man with a gun!!

Also no one has said anything about an eariler comment of mine - If its all about fox control then why have hounds been bred for stamina rather then speed?

Hounds are bred for "stamina" because they have to cover up to and over 20 miles on a days hunt, they have to be able to have the stamina to "stay the course" ,and keep up with the Huntsman on his horse

While our with Cassie working more then once she has seen a fox and had to be held back to stop her from going after it. I have no doubt she was used on these as well as rabbits in her life as badgers she has never shown any interest in.
I would think she shows no interest in Badgers , because she is clever enough to realise they are nasty "big" beggars and she will more than likely come off worse,/

How you can say she has been used to go to ground after foxes, simply because she goes mad when she sees them is baffling

I`ve 2 Boxers hers, they go berserk when they see rabbits /foxes/deer and anything that moves to be honest, and I can tell you now, they have never been useD to chase anything.

Along with the fact if she had been used in the way you say, you would see proof..as the prey she would have been sent after have teeth..very sharp ones and will use them if needed.

Never yet seen a terrier that is used in control of vermin, not to have any war wounds
Juliet
New Member!
Female 

18-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Sorry I know it's not funny, but it did make me chuckle a little. You can but try Dawn!

And that was MY point. You are suggesting that we need to control foxes ourselves, but I was pointing out that their numbers are related to food supply and other environmental factors and that fox hunting is in no way an effective means of control. As they are one of our main natural predators, what we do to foxes also affects the populations of 'pest species' such as rabbits, rats and mice. It still begs the question as to why we think we need to try to do this rather than use prophylactic means of protecting livestock.

The argument for fox hunting is that 'it's fun'. There are no ethical arguments in its favour.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Juliet View Post
And that was MY point. You are suggesting that we need to control foxes ourselves, but I was pointing out that their numbers are related to food supply and other environmental factors and that fox hunting is in no way an effective means of control. As they are one of our main natural predators, what we do to foxes also affects the populations of 'pest species' such as rabbits, rats and mice. It still begs the question as to why we think we need to try to do this rather than use prophylactic means of protecting livestock.

The argument for fox hunting is that 'it's fun'. There are no ethical arguments in its favour.
How interesting you see Rabbits, Rats and Mice as "pests" but not Foxes! Cute and furry like doggies 'eh?

Oh and its illegal to hunt Mice with dogs.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Its also been proven that the hounds do not kill the fox right away either and that the animal suffers a horrible death.

I can only go one what i have seen and thats what my brother in law has shot, all of which has been a head or heart shot.

he must be a ruddy good shot, they've always moved too quick to get a clean shot on them when i've been out, and
Juliet
New Member!
Female 

18-05-2010, 03:43 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
How interesting you see Rabbits, Rats and Mice as "pests" but not Foxes! Cute and furry like doggies 'eh?

The quotation marks round 'pest species' indicate that it's not necessarily my personal opinion. Where did hunting mice with dogs come in?
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 04:17 PM

The quotation marks round 'pest species' indicate that it's not necessarily my personal opinion....'
Indeed. Good posts.
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

******, i had better tell jess her suppers off the menu then
Sarah88
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-05-2010, 04:36 PM
This is a topic which (as we are all aware!) is a major topic of debate! I am against hunting with dogs for my own reasons but can see both sides of the argument. There are few other ways to control foxes that would not have an impact on other wildlife but a hunt will only relieve the countryside of a couple of foxes at a time so, in theory, their numbers will not be drastically affected by the few hunts that continue despite the ban.

I know that they are 'pests' and so do need to be controlled. I just don't like the idea of hunts! But we must remember that there are some awful people out there who are not so honest about there methods and do not discriminate between the animals that they will catch (snaring being my main example!) so perhaps it is the lesser of the evils out there?

I don't know. I like to ramble a bit apparently! And I do see the arguments for and against. But hunting is not for me. I'd rather leave nature to its own devices and in a perfect world, the foxes wouldn't be able to get to livestock and we wouldn't have a need to control them!

On another note, it's illegal to hunt mice with dogs?! But what about cats...

Sarah xoxox

(also, haven't managed to read the whole of this thread, so apologies if any of my ramblings have been brought up before! )
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 05:47 PM
The quotation marks round 'pest species' indicate that it's not necessarily my personal opinion. Where did hunting mice with dogs come in?
Perhaps the thread title, "Hunting with dogs"

Originally Posted by sutty View Post
******, i had better tell jess her suppers off the menu then
Bad owner!!!

Originally Posted by Sarah & Mike View Post
This is a topic which (as we are all aware!) is a major topic of debate! I am against hunting with dogs for my own reasons but can see both sides of the argument. There are few other ways to control foxes that would not have an impact on other wildlife but a hunt will only relieve the countryside of a couple of foxes at a time so, in theory, their numbers will not be drastically affected by the few hunts that continue despite the ban.

I know that they are 'pests' and so do need to be controlled. I just don't like the idea of hunts! But we must remember that there are some awful people out there who are not so honest about there methods and do not discriminate between the animals that they will catch (snaring being my main example!) so perhaps it is the lesser of the evils out there?

I don't know. I like to ramble a bit apparently! And I do see the arguments for and against. But hunting is not for me. I'd rather leave nature to its own devices and in a perfect world, the foxes wouldn't be able to get to livestock and we wouldn't have a need to control them!

On another note, it's illegal to hunt mice with dogs?! But what about cats...

Sarah xoxox

(also, haven't managed to read the whole of this thread, so apologies if any of my ramblings have been brought up before! )
Not rambling and a good post! Re Mice, Cats are not governed by law, therefore they can hunt them, must say mine never bought Mice home.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
Indeed. Good posts.
I second that.
Page 93 of 94 « First < 43 83 90 91 92 93 94 >