Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
It isn't legal anywhere in the UK Luz, but unfortunately it doesn't stop people from breaking the Law.
That is just it. It is ilegal and yet people still do it......what gives then the right to think they are above the law
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2010, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by werewolf View Post
That is just it. It is ilegal and yet people still do it......what gives then the right to think they are above the law
The same reason people speed...or still use mobile phones in cars I would imagine, or breed pitbulls......the chance of getting caught or having anything done is very slim.
Juliet
New Member!
Female 

17-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Hunting foxes with dogs is not an effective means of control and hunters are not interested in this. They need foxes for their sport. There would be other more effective ways but although foxes are considered 'vermin', this is a fairly meaningless term. Foxes are a native species which predate a lot of others, including rabbits.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2010, 09:09 PM
Originally Posted by Juliet View Post
Hunting foxes with dogs is not an effective means of control and hunters are not interested in this. They need foxes for their sport. There would be other more effective ways but although foxes are considered 'vermin', this is a fairly meaningless term. Foxes are a native species which predate a lot of others, including rabbits.
Good point, however you failed to mention one thing, who preys on the Fox? Only us! hence the need for control.
Juliet
New Member!
Female 

17-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Good point, however you failed to mention one thing, who preys on the Fox? Only us! hence the need for control.
No - foxes are pretty much at the top of their food chain so their populations are not controlled by predators.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2010, 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Juliet View Post
No - foxes are pretty much at the top of their food chain so their populations are not controlled by predators.
That was my point!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2010, 10:46 PM
As a matter of interest:

http://darrennaish.blogspot.com/2006...more-time.html
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2010, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
That was my point!
Sorry I know it's not funny, but it did make me chuckle a little. You can but try Dawn!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I refuse to believe that a fox hunt is the best and and most humain way to control foxes! How is being run to exhustion scared to death for hours then either being torn to shreds or having terriers shoved in your face better then a bullet?? We are talking about a fox here not a buffalo and wouldnt need a lot to be taken out very swiftly! anyone that has taken the time and trouble to get a rifle (lets face it the amount of red tape involed means you have to be pretty serious) must be some what acomplised and skilled with it. Even if two shots are needed (and from my experience with my brother in law this doesnt happen very often) its still over in less then a min rather then the hours of a hunt.

Also no one has said anything about an eariler comment of mine - If its all about fox control then why have hounds been bred for stamina rather then speed? While our with Cassie working more then once she has seen a fox and had to be held back to stop her from going after it. I have no doubt she was used on these as well as rabbits in her life as badgers she has never shown any interest in.
Its been proven that shooting is more inhumane, but people like to think that its a better way, as to us it seems better. There is more of a chance of a Fox going of injured and dieing a longer and more painful death if its shot.

I wouldn't even say that Cassie would of been worked on a Fox because of her reaction to them, I have a video of Diesel when he saw a Fox once, I'll see if I can find it, the Fox is sat in the middle of the field, although in the vid you can't see it, its too far away, and Diesel is making all sorts of noises trying to get at it, although the Fox still just sat there and was watching him, stupid thing, and there is no doubt in my mind what he would of done if he was off lead, but the only time that he has seen a Fox and made contact was when he was six months old, a fox ran out in daylight, Diesel went to chase it, Diesel got in a fightwith it, some dogs just naturally hate other animals, Diesel has a natural deteste for Foxes, any other animal he would come back for, he's proven this, ot may take five or so mins but he comes back, but if he went after a fox I don't think he would come back until the Fox is gone, and I don't just mean hidden, mind you he has also come back to me with a Fox before, but I think that one was already dead, it had many injuries, some of them were already scabbed over or dried blood, it had a missing eye, and it was all skin and bone, and if I had been working with Foxes I could never let him off lead, as even after showers clothes change, etc he would still be looking for them as he could still smell them, I've had Diesel since he was eleven weeks old, I've never worked him, let alone on Foxes, but by God does he hate them.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Its also been proven that the hounds do not kill the fox right away either and that the animal suffers a horrible death.

I can only go one what i have seen and thats what my brother in law has shot, all of which has been a head or heart shot.
Page 92 of 94 « First < 42 82 89 90 91 92 93 94 >