Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 11:29 PM

Can anyone recommend collars and leads?

I'm after a very long lead for Portia (we can't let her offlead - and I had a very long rope, but it's sort of dying now, so I need something new), and also, I always love new collars, but I know I'm not to spend money because the OH thinks it's frivolous - they have collars, they don't need more

Sooo... can anyone recommend me anywhere that sells really pretty collars, and long leads, for cheap with reasonable postage?

xx
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 11:54 PM
ebay the leads i use are the halti training leads ty's collar is a flat leather one i got from the local
pet shop
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 07:11 AM
Amazon have the halti leads in fairly cheaply - I picked up a Pets at Home version of similar for a tenner yesterday (I was bored and needed a retail fix) but they're only a few quid for the halti ones online.

Collars - we have a Wainrights one from PaH which is nice and padded and comfy - I want to replace it but only because a) I like spending money on the dog and b) hubby managed to drop some flea treatment on it when he was defleaing him and it's bleached out some spots of the colour on it. Oh and c) they've got a really cute nice shimmery red one in there that he'd look fab in!
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 08:10 AM
Whoops thought it was for rats

Have you thought of a horse lunge line? Any equine supplies would have them but for that length I would have her on a harness.

The harness I use is fleece lined and very easy to put on.
http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item...harness---dogs
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

13-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Whoops thought it was for rats

Have you thought of a horse lunge line? Any equine supplies would have them but for that length I would have her on a harness.

The harness I use is fleece lined and very easy to put on.
http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item...harness---dogs
You beat me to it, they are the best thing if you have to exercise on a lead.

Do a search for "lunge line" they are not expensive either.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 08:34 AM
If you're looking for collars that are strong as well as nice looking, then I'd recommend Ezy Dog collars. They are really robust and thus far the only one my Lab hasn't been able to wriggle out of!
Good range of colours also.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Thanks everyone, some great ideas! Portia already has a harness, Dudley doesn't, but then he goes offlead, and otherwise is walked close to us on lead if he needs to be on at all. I want collars for them for the devilment of it! I would love to spend loads of money on the dogs, but OH doesn't like the frivolous nature of it... which is a shame.

(I make this sound so bad! We spend plenty on the dogs of course, but on things "they need", not things "I want" XD)

That's why I'm after cheap anyway, because I might be able to get them past the OH - the long length lead, it';s not a big deal how much I spend really, I think my budget is up to £15 really, as I can pick a reasonable one up in the expensive pet shop here for €15.

Thanks again!

xx
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 11:04 AM
I would recommend a horse lunge line too, tends to be cheaper than the doggy equivelant but very stong (we actually used mine to tow a little van out of the ditch he'd reversed into down our little lane!). The only thing to be careful about is the size of the clip, the one I have has a very big clip which is fine for Casper at his size but I wouldn't use it on a smaller dog (and I don't dare put it in the washing machine as I think the clip would do some serious damage!).
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 01:38 PM
I had wainwrights collars and leads for mine a while back, until I fancied a change lol
They are very sturdy and nice looking IMO, only cost £5/6 from pets @ home! They have matching leads too.

I have really long lines for my lot when they are out in fields, just incase their recall fails! 30-50 ft lines which I just let them drag around when in fields, cost me about £8 from ebay