Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2011, 06:37 PM

Ideas for Willow

Willow is now on week four of her 12 week recovery from surgery.

There have been a couple of problems with the cast rubbing on her toes but hopefully these have been sorted by the vet.

The problem that I have now is what to do to keep her spirits up She is nearly 12 but before the surgery she was still walking for at least two hours a day.

She is only allowed on lead trips out to toilet and then any activity is strictly prohibited. She was okay for the first couple of days after she came home from the vet, a bit quiet but not really anything to worry about. However, she now seems really down, she doesn't even lift her head up when we take the others out and my fear is that she is giving up

I've racked my brain for things to do with her but can't think of anything that I can do with her that doesn't involve any movement on her behalf.

Any suggestions most welcome.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 07:05 PM
My own Willow went through a few ops when we first got her at 6months old.

To keep her occupied I fed her from stuffed kongs so meal times lasted longer and kept her occupied. You can feed these frozen once she's got the hang of them to make them last longer.

Bones are also another good way to keep them busy, but under supervision.

Chewing is a natural de-stresser for dogs as well.

Think up commands she is able for in her current condition and teach her these, great mental stimulation for her.

Hope she makes a good recovery soon.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2011, 07:23 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
My own Willow went through a few ops when we first got her at 6months old.

To keep her occupied I fed her from stuffed kongs so meal times lasted longer and kept her occupied. You can feed these frozen once she's got the hang of them to make them last longer.

Bones are also another good way to keep them busy, but under supervision.

Chewing is a natural de-stresser for dogs as well.

Think up commands she is able for in her current condition and teach her these, great mental stimulation for her.

Hope she makes a good recovery soon.
Thanks for your reply Evie, bones are popular in this house but Willow is off her food (didn't think I'd see the day that 'Fat Dog' refused food, we swear that she should be a lab such is her love of food) and has now lost 5kg in the last three weeks - even chicken doesn't tempt her. I'm not sure if it is because she has to be fed on her bed to restrict movement but I have taken her into the kitchen after a toilet trek and she still shows little interest

I'll definitely have to try and think of some new commands to teach her - I'm just at a loss of what would be suitable