Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Something else I thought of was that I would like to see that a trainer was really passionate about dogs and about what they were doing - rather than someone who couldn't really be bothered and was actually doing it just to make some money.

But a trainer who had that point of view would ipso facto not be any good...........
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I If I took her to training though and asked her to do something simple that she knows well, such as sit, her response would be 'why? What's the point?' wheras my JRT Rogue would be 'sure, what else can I do to please you?'

But that is the sign of a good trainer/handler! One that can get the SAME response from different breeds.

A GOOD trainer/handler will find a way to motivate THAT dog, whatever the breed or non breed.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Do trainers see certain breeds differently,??
I had things said about my boxers attenion span and his playfullness before he was even met ..
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Do trainers see certain breeds differently,??
I had things said about my boxers attenion span and his playfullness before he was even met ..
As in any sphere of life there are good (insert relevant profession) and poor (insert relevant profession).

All trainers WELCOME playfulness in dogs, it means they will be easier to train than those dogs that do NOT play.

Attention spans have to be developed.

A puppy does not heve the same attention span as an adult.

If a dog is interested enough in something, its attention span will expand, just like people.........
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-06-2011, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Well as a dog training instructor myself (not as my main income) and also a competitor and a person who keeps up their CPD my views are as follows:

There is, as yet, not nationally recognised benchmark against which all trainers are measured.

The KCAI is, IMV, the most robust scheme out there and the title of KCAI is going to be, IMHO the one which most people aspire to achieve.

Having said that, there are a huge number of dog training instructors who have nothing after their name bar a full stop, and some of those are far more effective than many who have a plethora of (sometimes spurious) letters after their name.

The legal definition of competency is someone who has the requisite skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience to teach others.

I am continually amazed at those who have only had ONE dog of ONE breed who appear to believe they are in a position to advise others!

ALL dogs can be trained to achieve their full potential, just like humans.

Just as not all humans have the ability to be a brain surgeon, concert pianist or olympic athlete, not all dogs have the makings of a (insert relevant discipline champion).

The problem with people who only train (insert relevant breed) is that they often do not have the knowledge of how to tackle dogs that have a different outlook on life (eg handler dependant v non dependent breeds).

Above and beyond the legal definition of competency I am looking for someone with whom I can gel.

I do not necessarily have to agree with or incorporate all of their views or techniques into my training, but I will generally agree with the overall ethos.

I have attended training courses with several superb trainers with whom I have little in common to increase my SKATE and develop my "eye".

The old saying of "the only thing two dog trainers will agree on is that the third trainer is wrong" is a trite if true maxim.

ALL breeds can be trained to a high standard, and if you do not aim high you will not reach high.
in lieue of being too lazy to make my own wording, this is probably the closest to what i would write.
a great post

i also agree with the KCAI point.

in fact, i like this post also because it essentially describes my path as a dog trainer, and im also doing the KCAI.

the one thing is would add is i would put people skills at all times, written and verbal, as the first and foremost 'qualification'.
As most often you arent training the dog, you are training the owner to train the dog.
I havent added that bit as a dig toward anyone in particular (I know i have in the past), i write that as that is actually part of my genuine answer to the question, and my strongly held philosophy of dog training.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 08:52 AM
Great thread.

I tried several trainers when Dexter first came to us. The first was a guy whom the rescue actually recommended. He was young and maybe not that experienced. He gave me just enough help that I managed to cope a bit better for a while but I was not overly impressed.

The best trainer we had, and the one who has been helping us for a while now, is superb - she's an ex police dog handler, very experienced, and she actually got to know Dexter, rather than simply declaring him 'dominant-excited' which is what the first guy did!!

For me qualifications on paper don't mean much. I go on how the trainer interacts with both my dog and me - are they positive and encouraging? If yes, that's a great start
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 08:54 AM
the one thing is would add is i would put people skills at all times, written and verbal, as the first and foremost 'qualification'.
As most often you arent training the dog, you are training the owner to train the dog.

Excellent point
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-06-2011, 09:12 AM
i think experience is more important than qualifications, then i look at methods and how they interact with the people and dogs in there class.

im lucky in that my trainer has worked with and owned gsd's for years, she also has a cav (who loves me as i always have the tastiest treats in class ) she was reccomended to me by a gsd owner then i sent her a couple of emails, went along realised i was going to enjoy it there

she works with all breed's though not just gsd's and cavs

she is starting a small dog only class to try and encourage owners of small dogs to come along and is considering a gsd only class aswell (but this may be a while)
MaryEllen
New Member!
Female 

12-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I`ve been to a lot of trainers over the years.
I have learned to look at methods first. If they use methods I`m comfortable with, I`m happy to stay.
The best trainer I`ve had didn`t have any qualifications. The most highly qualified trainer I`ve had told me to do something stupid. So now I look at their methods.
Perfect! I totally agree. I've been in a lot of classes and always, always, watch at least one class with a trainer (sans dog) before signing up. I can tell by watching a trainer's approach to the students, both dogs and humans, whether or not I want that person working with my dogs. I usually talk to one or two of the current students about their experiences too. The trainer's education and experience counts, of course, but seeing them in action is the one best way to know if this is the right one for you.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2011, 02:27 PM
I agree with whoever it was who said that qualifications and experience are both important

Re. the experience - this is great if the dog trainer is fairly up to date, but sometimes the very worst dog trainers of all are those who will tell you convincingly "I've been in (insert breed X here) for 30 years and I know what I am talking about".

Often they also try to solve behaviour problems which are beyond them, and end up telling the owners they either have a bad dog, or that it's all their fault

A trainer with experience who has a fairly modern outlook (and this can included trainers who have been doing it for 30 years ) are usually pretty good because they tend to be the ones who have kept up their interest and are not afraid of learning themselves.

Qualifications are also important, because these days MOST good trainers will have SOME kind of qualification, even a basic one, IMO and it can give clues as to how they train or their outlook, depending on what it is.

It's also useful to look at training organisations, as some such as the APDT encourage up to date methods, and do not allow harsh aversives, whereas some don't set any particular boundaries...

JMO

Wys
x
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >