View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2009, 09:20 PM
It's a shame you don't live closer to me, as I sometimes go to an obedience class and there's about 5 flat coateds already! It's a lovely class too, but I think you're a bit far out?

I've found the best ones to be the ones that dont advertise and that you hear about through word of mouth. The two obedience classes I go to are both so lovely, I alternate because I can't decide which one to stop going to! The first one, the local RSPCA told me about years ago when we first got our first dog, and the second one is an off-cut of that one. Both are in village halls and have a separate puppy class and 'competition' class. The first one also has an 'advanced pet' class for those who aren't fussed with the competition stuff. It's all 100% positive, lots of clicker use and just lovely people really. I think a warm friendly atmosphere is one of the best things a club can have because it makes the dogs visibly more relaxed. Both are within 15 minutes of me, the first has a slightly bigger class, 10 in the puppy class at one time and maybe a few more in the competition class, it depends on the week. The second one has about 8 in each. They do training days & even a training week in the summer and quite a few children go and love it too.

My agility class is 30 minutes away but worth it. It's less structured, but again really friendly.

The obedience classes are the ones which have really helped though, I didn't know anything really and now he's starting to compete
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Alice can pm me details?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
It's a shame you don't live closer to me, as I sometimes go to an obedience class and there's about 5 flat coateds already! It's a lovely class too, but I think you're a bit far out?

I've found the best ones to be the ones that dont advertise and that you hear about through word of mouth. The two obedience classes I go to are both so lovely, I alternate because I can't decide which one to stop going to! The first one, the local RSPCA told me about years ago when we first got our first dog, and the second one is an off-cut of that one. Both are in village halls and have a separate puppy class and 'competition' class. The first one also has an 'advanced pet' class for those who aren't fussed with the competition stuff. It's all 100% positive, lots of clicker use and just lovely people really. I think a warm friendly atmosphere is one of the best things a club can have because it makes the dogs visibly more relaxed. Both are within 15 minutes of me, the first has a slightly bigger class, 10 in the puppy class at one time and maybe a few more in the competition class, it depends on the week. The second one has about 8 in each. They do training days & even a training week in the summer and quite a few children go and love it too.

My agility class is 30 minutes away but worth it. It's less structured, but again really friendly.

The obedience classes are the ones which have really helped though, I didn't know anything really and now he's starting to compete
Is the obedience class at a Boarding Kennels?
If not strike that, won't be the one I'm thinking of!!!
Would be interesting to know. Where's your agility Alice? I know of one that sounds brill but is quite far out, I met the girl who runs them on a TTOuch course and I know the classes are respected? She runs them in a stables? (Not the others run in a stables that we won't mention though!!!! )

Could you let me know where they all are and i can see how far they are then!
Ta x
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Haha, I'll PM you both
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Sigh.
I admit I have been exceptionally spoilt with training classes...thanks to our work with assistance dogs and a very good friend who is an APDT trainer (and assessor...)
Sadly though it makes me look at classes in a different way to other people (or at least so it would seem).
I understand this Ailsa. I kind of accepted what classes were like until I learnt about stress (I'd not taken my own dogs to classes as I'd not found any good ones) and once I learnt about dog (and owner) stress and then visited a few I felt so so depressed Frankly IMO, there's loads of "trainers" out there who should not be.

We went to one today...in a field. Fine.20+dogs aging from 13 weeks to 13 years.
Wow - speaking as one who assists and trains in classes plus does her own one to ones, I'd say at once that is too many for dogs and owners to get any real benefit from - however this is how classes used to be run and it's a still all too common scenario...many still see nothing wrong with it.

At least one severely dog aggressive one...a child was handling quite an aggressive terrier, who kept provoking the young lab next to it...
Not good, an actually aggressive dog should not be in an ordinary class in this manner - it should be either giveni it's own one to ones and slowly integrated or else kept below threshold level of aggression way to the side or something.
I'd not allow a child to handle it, (poor kid) nor have it next to another dog provoking it! What stress for both owners and both dogs

One trainer who spent his time up and down the middle of the 2 lines of dogs, shouting orders and smoking.

The other trainer (who took over half way through) was better and explained things well, but I stood watching wondering what the dogs were actually learning.
Certainly if dogs are stressed they won't be learning very much at all, this is a big problem. Owners then get stressed and cross as theu don't understand why their dog isn't listening to them and think he's being disobedient/stubborn etc

Lots of them learnt that the word 'heel' means to stand on two legs and choke whilst walking on your back legs...the rest learnt that the word heel means to pull into your collar.
Oh dear...

Cosmo learnt not to be happy. Truly.
Oh no, Ailsa ... that's so sad and I know you must feel sad yourself....

Admittedly he started off barking out of excitement and being very lively
very normal behaviour!

...he finished, not wagging his tail and looking quite glum, even if he was quiet and sitting at OH's left hand side.
Was that because your OH was made to make him, sort of thing? or just the whole atmosphere, or what?

The owners weren't learning much...a lot of them were very hot under the collar. The dogs...well I didn't see them learning anything good.
I expect the owners were pretty stressed out?

I have no problem with the 'heel' classes and 'handlers and dogs forward' classes...I know many frown on them now....but ...I don't know...is it just me? Am I being too picky? This class was recommended by people who's opinion I do respect....
Sigh.
God Ailsa, you are so NOT being picky! Don't lower your standards!!

The class made you and Cosmo unhappy just by being there - better to not go to such a class and train on your own, honestly

I hope you find another, better class. I take it this one was not apdt? I'd be ashamed to run such a class. I try to help owners and encourage them and same with the dogs. The aim is for enjoyment as well as good manners etc. It sounds as if this one was run mainly for the money angle, is that a fair comment would you think?

Wys
xxx
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
Haha, I'll PM you both
Ta..shal go and have a nosey x
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I understand this Ailsa. I kind of accepted what classes were like until I learnt about stress (I'd not taken my own dogs to classes as I'd not found any good ones) and once I learnt about dog (and owner) stress and then visited a few I felt so so depressed Frankly IMO, there's loads of "trainers" out there who should not be.

Wow - speaking as one who assists and trains in classes plus does her own one to ones, I'd say at once that is too many for dogs and owners to get any real benefit from - however this is how classes used to be run and it's a still all too common scenario...many still see nothing wrong with it.

Not good, an actually aggressive dog should not be in an ordinary class in this manner - it should be either giveni it's own one to ones and slowly integrated or else kept below threshold level of aggression way to the side or something.
I'd not allow a child to handle it, (poor kid) nor have it next to another dog provoking it! What stress for both owners and both dogs

Certainly if dogs are stressed they won't be learning very much at all, this is a big problem. Owners then get stressed and cross as theu don't understand why their dog isn't listening to them and think he's being disobedient/stubborn etc

Oh dear...

Oh no, Ailsa ... that's so sad and I know you must feel sad yourself....

very normal behaviour!

Was that because your OH was made to make him, sort of thing? or just the whole atmosphere, or what?

I expect the owners were pretty stressed out?

God Ailsa, you are so NOT being picky! Don't lower your standards!!

The class made you and Cosmo unhappy just by being there - better to not go to such a class and train on your own, honestly

I hope you find another, better class. I take it this one was not apdt? I'd be ashamed to run such a class. I try to help owners and encourage them and same with the dogs. The aim is for enjoyment as well as good manners etc. It sounds as if this one was run mainly for the money angle, is that a fair comment would you think?

Wys
xxx
Thanks sooooooo much Wys. You have summed it up exceptionally well. It wasn't an APDT class, no....I went along hoping...

Cosmo was unhappy because my oH felt he had to do as he was asked ( if you see what I mean, he doesn't like to challenge the people who are supposed to know better...unlike his wife...) and so was stressed...as was Cosmo as he soaks up mood. My oH isn't like me, who had a stand up argument with the 'trainer' when we went gundog training (I was handling Cosmo that day, my oH stood smirking. ) My OH doesn't like getting into 'debates'...my almost 9 year old son was ready to go and tell the trainers where they were going wrong though and I had to keep 'shusshing' him!!!

The aggressive dog wasn't the terrier..that was as well as!I worded that badly sorry. There was a GSD X there that lunged at any dog that came within 4 feet of it...you can imagine with that number of people and a class where people were heeling towards each other etc, he had plenty of opportunity to lunge and stress out. He was on a slip lead...

We will not be going back. Cosmo wasn't harmed by it...we took him for a long muddy walk afterwards and he was back to his usual jolly self. I hated seeing him in the class. When we went to his classes (run by you know who) when he was younger he LOVED them...he couldn't wait to get in and start and he was exceptionally responsive as a result. I am hassling that someone to start doing MORE classes!!! Perhaps you could nudge her too?!

I know I have been spoilt....but I do think that every pet owner deserves well run, fun classes where both they and their dog learn good things. Classes like this do not provide that at all and it is such a shame.
Mum To Many
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-03-2009, 12:42 PM
I hated the training class we took Betty to, and she was totally stressed by it, she is not food orientated so as the rewards were food based this just didn't work for her, I really don't think she or I learned anything apart from we didn't like being in the group and being made to feel we were not very good,and we were told that we had to teach our dogs a trick in a week to pass the course, as Betty doesn't do things for food, and I don't see the relevance of teaching dogs to do tricks, we didn't bother to go to the last class so didn't pass. In fact if I had known teaching Betty to do a trick was required to pass the course I wouldn't have taken her in the first place, to me it was a total waste of time and money.When we go to the park she is very well behaved her recall is excellent and other people often comment on how good she is, she has learned that by copying our other dog Brinley, and from me and my partner, she is actually very eager to please and very rewarding to be with, but you wouldn't have seen any of that in the class,she was too stressed, and I don't who hated it more, me or her!
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Don't get me started on lack of good training classes, we take the biscuit up here. The one I used to go to had to stop as they were closing the school it was ran in. There are only two other classes available (on of which is miles away) and both only really cater for very basic dog-training.

We have nobody who does working trials, agility, good citizen scheme or even Ringcraft in our immediate area - sometimes it sucks living here!

I would kill to do agility with Marius, I just know he'd adore it (as would I), but we've no chance

The best training classes I went to was held by the Grimsby & Cleethorpes Dog Training Club (I used to live there). They were on a large flat field and were split into groups. Some did obedience, but there were also agility classes from beginners upwards and even Working Trials training. They used to give great advice and even had their own competitions about 3 times a year. I adored going and so did my dogs I had at the time, Brandy & Jasper.

I hate the type of classes like the one you've mentioned, whereby there are dogs there with behavioural problems mixed in with pups and other dogs/owners of varying abilities. This simply does not work - they need to have them sorted into appropriate groups in order to train everyone effectively. The last thing you want is for a dog with a behavioural problem upsetting your own, when all you want to do is socialize and train your dog.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Mum To Many View Post
I hated the training class we took Betty to, and she was totally stressed by it, she is not food orientated so as the rewards were food based this just didn't work for her, I really don't think she or I learned anything apart from we didn't like being in the group and being made to feel we were not very good,and we were told that we had to teach our dogs a trick in a week to pass the course, as Betty doesn't do things for food, and I don't see the relevance of teaching dogs to do tricks, we didn't bother to go to the last class so didn't pass. In fact if I had known teaching Betty to do a trick was required to pass the course I wouldn't have taken her in the first place, to me it was a total waste of time and money.When we go to the park she is very well behaved her recall is excellent and other people often comment on how good she is, she has learned that by copying our other dog Brinley, and from me and my partner, she is actually very eager to please and very rewarding to be with, but you wouldn't have seen any of that in the class,she was too stressed, and I don't who hated it more, me or her!
Bless her (and you)...Some dogs just don't like training classes which is fine...but some training classes don't seem to be too dog friendly, which isn't fine!
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Don't get me started on lack of good training classes, we take the biscuit up here. The one I used to go to had to stop as they were closing the school it was ran in. There are only two other classes available (on of which is miles away) and both only really cater for very basic dog-training.

We have nobody who does working trials, agility, good citizen scheme or even Ringcraft in our immediate area - sometimes it sucks living here!

I would kill to do agility with Marius, I just know he'd adore it (as would I), but we've no chance

The best training classes I went to was held by the Grimsby & Cleethorpes Dog Training Club (I used to live there). They were on a large flat field and were split into groups. Some did obedience, but there were also agility classes from beginners upwards and even Working Trials training. They used to give great advice and even had their own competitions about 3 times a year. I adored going and so did my dogs I had at the time, Brandy & Jasper.

I hate the type of classes like the one you've mentioned, whereby there are dogs there with behavioural problems mixed in with pups and other dogs/owners of varying abilities. This simply does not work - they need to have them sorted into appropriate groups in order to train everyone effectively. The last thing you want is for a dog with a behavioural problem upsetting your own, when all you want to do is socialize and train your dog.

It's so hard isn't it? I always thought there was actually more stuff organised in the countryside as there was more room? I know that sounds daft but it is finding the space in cities to run extra stuff.

It's a shame, there is a real gap in the doggy market I think.....
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Awww ramble I'm so sorry you had a bad experience of the classes. We went today for the puppy one with Poppy and I know what you mean about the other guy smoking,dont get me wrong, I smoke, but I would never dream of smoking when in a professional situation.
The trainer, did wonders with Ben when we first got him.. He was so submissive (Ben not the trainer ) He showed us how to gain his confidence and by the 4th week Ben was really enjoying his classes.
Poppy was an absolute star today, there was a bit of barking while we were hanging around waiting to go into the training field.
We explained to the trainer (the nice one ) about how she can be nippy. He took her to one side, at first she would bark at him but he came down to her level and taught us how to handle her when she gets nervous.
She was wonderful with the other dogs as they passed her she focused totally of OH the whole time. Her sit, sit stay and down were better than most of the pups there that had been going for weeks.
I dont know about the Sat class, but the Sunday one there were about 20 dogs. We lined up in a square formation and worked on walking to heel past the other dogs.
All in all I found it a positvie experience for me and Poppy. The trainer said he would have a word next week and give us some tips.
I did mention that as he is a behaviourist would he be willing to come to the house, He said there was no need for that, just lets get her settled and less nervous. How many behaviourists would say that . ££££££ He could easily made £60-100 out of me today, but he didnt and that was his deciscion.

Elaine xx
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >