Kicks
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2008, 06:00 PM
BC's

They herd everything all the time, especially feet
They chase cars
They herd and bite children
They are easy to train (especially by people with other breeds! they're uber-intelligent not pre-programmed!)
Can't live in the house
Must have come 'from a farm'
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-08-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Kicks View Post
BC's

They chase cars
They are easy to train (especially by people with other breeds! they're uber-intelligent not pre-programmed!)
Can't live in the house
Just about everything I was going to say!

None of mine herd or chase cars, bikes, joggers etc although one did come from a farm!

Another misconception is that they only come in black and white and must be a cross if the colour differs.

Wirehaired Pointers dont really have any but all that I have read about them has been the case with Flynn. I normally get asked what kind of dog he is or if he's a Spinone. Of those who seem to be clued up about dogs they normally say " I didnt know they came in solid colours". Solid liver yes, solid black unacceptable.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Kicks View Post
BC's

(Kali used to, when he was a puppy)

They chase cars
(Never seen it happen)

(They may herd children in play, but not bite)

(Well, they listen!)

Can't live in the house
(I can think of two that won't live anywhere else!)

(Well, my two did - I can't argue with that!)

Snorri
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
English Springer Spaniel

With the two I've had - must of the preconceptions are not too wide of the mark.
I was just about to type the exact same thing!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

26-08-2008, 01:41 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
English Springer Spaniel

With the two I've had - must of the preconceptions are not too wide of the mark.
Originally Posted by kcjack View Post
Agree with Phil on the Springers have had probs with both mine. Personally they are not for the faint hearted but give so much back and a true joy to own.
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
I was just about to type the exact same thing!

If we didn't laugh - we'd cry.

Feel free to disagree but I've always maintained English Springer Spaniels just do everything to the extreme.
CandyKooKoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-08-2008, 05:01 AM
Cyprus Poodle - I was told that they don't do well in a pack, can be aggressive and not very intelligent. Well my two are exception to the rule, both are extremely intelligent although might have to tell Koo Koo more than once to do anything. Get on great together alright the three dogs might have a scrap now and then but that is normal when one needs telling off.

Tibetan Spaniel - again I was warned that they are no good on a lead, extremely stubborn, aggressive and will always want to be the most dominant dog - not so, Keo is exceptionally good on a lead, no way aggressive or stubborn and if you tell him off he lies on his back in full submission.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Black Mini Schnauzer - Shouldn't she be grey? No, although black is less common it is acceptable, did you see the Crufts Champion this year?
Shouldn't she have a beard? Fair cop, she really doesn't have as much coat as she should, but we think she's the most beautiful Schnauzer on the planet.

Affenpinscher - Never heard of one of those....

J
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Boxer

They slobber everywhere
Mine don't - they do drool if you eat in front of them, but most dogs do anyway! They slobber no more than my friends labrador

They are good guard dogs
Well, they'll make a lot of noise, but I suspect most wouldn't care if anyone broke in, unless they were heading for the treat cupboard.

They must eat loads
Debatable! I have to push mine to eat breakfast, and a lot of Boxers I know are fussy, or have problem tummies

They need loads of exercise
Both true and untrue. My boys will run for miles if given the chance, both can easily do 10-15 mile walks and still have energy. However, they will also refuse to go out in the rain, and will happily sleep on the sofa all day if given the chance!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-08-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Boxer

They slobber everywhere
Mine don't - they do drool if you eat in front of them, but most dogs do anyway! They slobber no more than my friends labrador

Agree, some do some dont, will depend on the breeding, oh and food is about

They are good guard dogs
Well, they'll make a lot of noise, but I suspect most wouldn't care if anyone broke in, unless they were heading for the treat cupboard.

yep agree again, they will put up a good pretence of guarding your home.

They must eat loads
Debatable! I have to push mine to eat breakfast, and a lot of Boxers I know are fussy, or have problem tummies

Agree again, all down tot he individual

They need loads of exercise
Both true and untrue. My boys will run for miles if given the chance, both can easily do 10-15 mile walks and still have energy. However, they will also refuse to go out in the rain, and will happily sleep on the sofa all day if given the chance!

Yes a huge misconception, they only need as much exercise as the next dog, it is not the amount of time you walk them, its what you put into the training and working of their minds that counts.

Also to add....

They must be vicious , because they look it.

They never grow up.... not true, they will around 7/8 yrs

They are aggressive with other dogs...again it will all depend on the individual dog, (not the breed) it can be a case of nature v nurture

They are stupid and cant be trained.... not true again, they are a highly intelligent breed, they pick things up very quickly and once learnt never forget )bad habits too)

They are and have been used on the Continent for police work and other disciplines... even down to Guide dogs for the blind.
Chellie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Akita

Aggessive with other dogs

Aloof with strangers

Untrustworthy with children that aren't family

Good guard dog

Can't be let off the lead

Can't be trained as too stubborn

Can't be kept with the same sex dog