View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doglistener
Dogsey Senior

16-03-2005, 10:58 AM

RSPCA now a business flogging second hand animals

I am sure they have been debates on the RSPCA on this forum before. I for one am no fan of that organisations, I feel it is the political arm of the Animal Rights Brigade I am not alone in my thinking. Millions are spent on political lobbying and new head offices it has been calculated that only 3p in the pound goes towards welfare and 97p on wages and running costs.

These three adverts were placed in that disgraceful paper the Adtrader by RSPCA, which suggests that they are no more than a business selling second hand animals.

8th March - Cats and kittens for sale RSPCA Medway West, Kent,
Cats & kittens needing loving homes
Kittens under six months £65
Cats over six months £55.

NEXT ADVERT

Has your cat had unwanted litters. RSPCA wants to help. If you sign over kittens to us we will get mum neutered for free.
Please contact us on 07092 a number which costs 37.5p per minute. So not only are the RSPCA getting free goods to sell but also taking a cut from the caller who firmly believes he/she is being helped.

Stan
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 11:15 AM
I haven't been a fan for many years - their campaigning side is great but the welfare side is awful imo.
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 11:16 AM
I think on the whole they do a good job after all nobody is perfect. I havent had any dealings with them personally
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 11:31 AM
Dont know about other peoples experience with them, but mine have not been to good, I have tried to contact them in an emergency in the past, (no success phone just rang and rang with no response) did try to report someone for having left some horses in a field with no food/ water and left in terrible condition, no success again, so had to contact the police, who got a local animal sanctuary to come out, tried to contact them when I found an injured fox in my garden, no success again, this is supposed to be set up the help animals, in my oppinion, its an over blown money making racket, waste of time and money I would Never donate to them, I prefer to donate to local santuaries, at least they are actually doing somthing

MO
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 11:55 AM
well its the SSPCA up here in Scotland and I am not happy with my dealings with them and from what I have heard form other people also
they are not interested in any injured wild animals usually unless its somthing like a otter or golden eagle etc. common wild animals all they want to do is PTS if anything
When I contacted them about a Rookery with chicks shot out of their nests and dozens of walking wounded ,they didnt do anything not even see if the person who done it had a licence to shoot birds from their nests as is required by law for so called pest birds ,I had to take the poor birds to the vets myself and many had to be PTS ,but some were able to be saved and I still have them now ,if the SSPCA had done anything it would prob have only to kill the birds that could still live a happy life ,I would not call them for everyday wild animals that are injured as some people have as all they do is kill them if they can be bothered to do anything
CBT
Dogsey Senior

16-03-2005, 12:00 PM
The RSPCA do the best they can, they may seem like dog dealers or whatever, but at the end of the day, if it werent for them there would be thousands of unwanted dogs on the streets!
they spay and microchip and do the best for their animals, their kennels are well kept and they find homes for a huge number of dogs and other animals, so what if they use adtrader???
they arent doing anything wrong, just trying to reach a wider audience!
of course they have their faults, as any rescue organisations do, I have heard of a lot of small rescues that do much worse
I think we should be praising them for all the good they do not slagging them off for their faults. yes, they run a very business like operation, and best of luck to them, they home thousands of animals!! who here can say they do the same on that scale? who here is perfect and above reproach?

dont all raise your hands at once please
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 12:08 PM
I completely appreciate the rehoming they do - I used to volunteer at a local branch when I was at uni. The seem to do a very good job and put a lot of effort into the animals in rescue.

My main problem with them is how the respond to emergency calls, as Mo said. Tried getting them to do something about a family in a house in Reading, right on the busy A33, which allowed their emaciated GSDs to wander across the duel-carriageway to a pub. Many a time I collected these dogs and took them back over to the house. The garden had a fence, but a massive hole had been ripped out the fence so the dogs just wandered loose. Apparently, the RSPCA went and checked it out, but found the dogs were living in satisfactory conditions!

About 6 months ago I spotted a border collie wandering around our roads, leaving bloody footprints. Couldn't get to the dog in time as I first spotted him while on the bus - by the time I'd got off at the nearest stop he'd disappeared. Tried to follow the footprints, gave up and ran home and called the RSPCA, who told me they didn't deal with this sort of thing and I should call the dog warden!

Becs
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-03-2005, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by Gems
I think on the whole they do a good job after all nobody is perfect. I havent had any dealings with them personally
I have found the RSPCA to be excellent in my dealings with them, prompt, efficient and courteous...almost too prompt in one case when I reported an abused dog. Last week my son adopted a cat, they checked the house and did a follow up to see that all was well. They do not have the easiest of jobs to do sometimes and like in all organisation there are good and not so good people in it. I thing they may have upset a few of the more extreme hunting people so get accused of being political.
Ps... I also think the term in the title of this post 'flogging second hand animals' sounds derogatory there are no second hand animals in my book, animals of any kind are not merely someone cast off posessions but animals who through no fault of their own need rehoming. I do hope my opinion is 'constructive' and helpful
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-03-2005, 12:32 PM
I was told to return a stray dog to where I had picked it up as they "don't deal with strays" M5 on a busy afternoon didn't seem to be an appropriate place to leave the dog so we contacted a smaller rescue who helped immediately. IMO they had no feeling for the dog or the human casualties that could have ensued.
afc101
Dogsey Senior
Male 

16-03-2005, 12:52 PM
As someone who used to donate money to the RSPCA monthly my main concern with them is as a charity that promotes itself as working tirelessly for animals in distress. I find it unacceptable that they pick and choose which animals they help. As an American Bulldog owner a case that I found alarming last year was a pregnant AB, which had been abandon on wasteland. As the AB had been tied up local people had given food & water. The RSPCA had received numerous calls from the public regarding this AB only for them to be told there wasn’t anything they could do, as they don’t help AB’s. (Shame they don’t put that in the adverts when they try to get people to support them)

In the end travellers picked up the AB and as far as I know they only kept her until she had her pups and then abandoned her again.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »