Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 10:26 AM

Dilemma.... updated sad news about Mo

So, as I've posted about before, Mo our 10 year old BC has arthritic hips. We have put him onto 2/3 short (15min) lead walks a day and Synflex. His hips have eased and he is getting around and lying down better.
As I've said in my other thread though,

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=65936

it seems he may have a nasal tumour. If he does (and I know its an if) the prognosis won't be great....so....do we let him have loads of offlead runs (not for long though as he can only breath through his mouth at the moment so we don't want him getting too tired as he won't be able to breathe properly ) or do we continue to work on easing his arthritis and stop it progressing too quickly???

For this week at least, until he returns to the vet...we've decided free runs are the way to go and blow his hips (obviously still being careful with him as we don't want him in pain) all I mean is, if he gets a bit stiff...so be it, at least if they find a tumour soon he'll have had a good time.
What do you think?

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 10:34 AM
I am a firm believer in giving dogs the fullest life and the best quality of life possible. If this means a shorter lifespan, then so be it. I think it is what most of our dogs would want for themselves - I know I would.

So if Mo were my dog, I wouldn't be totally wrapping him in cotton wool, but would just be letting him do all the things he enjoys the most.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 10:39 AM
Thanks Kirsty, I think we have hit that stage too. As his life MAY now be shorter than we had hoped, it seems less important to 'control' his arthritis and stop it progressing too rapidly...quality not quantity bless him. We are, after all talking an amble around a field given his nose at the moment.
We are, at the moment faced with lots of dilemmas about him sadly.
Thanks Kirsty.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Thanks Kirsty, I think we have hit that stage too. As his life MAY now be shorter than we had hoped, it seems less important to 'control' his arthritis and stop it progressing too rapidly...quality not quantity bless him. We are, after all talking an amble around a field given his nose at the moment.
We are, at the moment faced with lots of dilemmas about him sadly.
Thanks Kirsty.
No problem Ailsa x

What a lovely old boy he is - great photo of him. It is so hard to watch our companions getting older and less able to do the things they could as youngsters.

My heart goes out to you.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks Kirsty. It isn't helped by the fact that he is a dog that has seen me through some pretty rough times, he is also the nicest dog I have ever had the pleasure to be around. I want to do my very best for him. Sometimes being the human and the decision maker is poo.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Someone who trained me several years ago had a GSD with very bad hips. On the day they decided to let her go they dosed her up on paracetomol and gave her a long run by herself before they took her to be PTS. I think that is the best thing they could have done for her. Apparently she walked into the vets normally because she'd had so much pain relief!
Becky
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Thanks Becky.
My OH's last BC was put to sleep when he was 15.
He had been ill for a while, arthritic, had a bad stroke...just a catalogue of old dog problems really.
The day we made the decision to have him PTS we went to Tescos and got him the biggest steak we could fine, gave him more dog treats than he could eat, took him out for the rest of the day and finally around to say bye to our nephews, where he ran up and down the garde like a puppy and had us all questioning the decision.
Sadly, the next morning he was worse than ever and we knew we had ultimately made the right decision...but he had such a brill last day bless him! To be honest I think he was on a protein high!!!!
Bless.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 10:52 AM
Do you have any pics on your computer of a younger Mo? I would love to see them.

Decision making of this kind is so hard
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 10:53 AM
No...it was pre digital, I'll try to scan some in when I get a chance...he was a handsome devil in his youth!!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Look forward to seeing them
Page 1 of 33 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »