Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by AllBreeds View Post
I reguarly donate dogs that come into my rescue for working purposes; dogs for the disabled, sniffer dogs and police dogs, out of all the dogs I've donated only one was returned because he didn't make the grade, it's ashame others don't follow suit ie guide dogs
How many dogs have you actually donated to the police as GP dogs? A good friend of mine is a police dog instructor and trainer and he reliably told me that 99.9% of all donated dogs fail the assessment. I was a volunteer for GSD Rescue for five years and in all that time all the dogs that seemed suitable as police dogs failed their initial assessment.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:17 PM
hypothetically, everyone stops breeding - including byb and puppy farms.

YAY! woohoo! everyone can go to a rescue to get their perfect pup. It helps the rescue situation. What do you do when you run out of rescues? which will of course happen... it would be a non renewable source.

presto - you would lose the dog as a pet, and that would be a dreadful situation - so don't lambast good breeders - as if it wasn't for them, we would have no dogs at all. just sickly dogs from puppy farms.

If you want - by all means have a rant about puppy farmers and BYB - but the responsible dog breeders (of whom there are a LOT) are actually helping rescue. I say praise them. Any GOOD rescue will work with a responsible breeder and encourage this - because good rescues know that breeding and rescue work together and go hand in hand.

xx
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Makes you wonder why the owner felt the dog would be better off in rescue.

When I get pedigrees in with paper I always contact the breeder to give them a ticking off but no way would I return one for it to be sold on again
if that's not offensive I don't know what is - that is a DISGUSTING attitude - and with an attitude like that you'd be very lucky if anyone goes to rescue after reading it... tbh - i know I would certainly not touch your rescue with a ten foot bargepole now!

but sounds like even if i would, i wouldn't get a puppy - after all, i'm supporting the torturous horror that is responsible dog breeding!

xx
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:22 PM

When I get pedigrees in with paper I always contact the breeder to give them a ticking off but no way would I return one for it to be sold on again
Some owners don't or won't get back in touch with the breeder for whatever reason,i saw a case of a owner giving his 5 month pup up last week and never thought to contact the stud dog owner or the breeder,the breeder was eventually contacted and he drove 500 miles to pick this pup up and it has now been rehomed.
It wasn't sold on.
Why give the breeder a ticking off when they may not know what's happened and why not return it to the breeder,after all not all sell them on!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:22 PM

I can only assume why owners would send their dogs to a rescue centre instead of returning the dog back to the breeder, but I would guess that a lot of it shame and not wanting to admit they couldn't cope/made the wrong decision/couldn't be bothered any more.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

13-11-2006, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Firstly, I would imagine that most, if not all, on a forum such as this realise there are hundreds of pedigree dogs in rescue - no-one is disputing that.

No-one is disputing the demanding and great work that most rescues do.

No-one is implying that owners of rescue dogs have given less thought to their prospective companion than those who go to a breeder.

I think it was implied

Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
If people want pedigree dogs so they can be certain of the temperament this has to be beter then them getting the wrong dog from a rescue and returning it, causing it more problems in the long run! People who buy perigree pups are usually on a waiting list for the right breeder so have lots of time to research the breed and are commited to the pup having waited so long in the first place yet Ive know lots of people getting rescue dogs on impulse after visiting a rescue with someone else falling for some cute dog and deciding to have it, yes they will be home checked (although some of the rescue homes disregard for home checks has astounded me!!!) but that person may know nothing of the breed or breeds of the dog or the characteristics and its suitability in their home just thought it was cute and had to have it!!!!!
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:24 PM

Ah, this is where you're lumping all dog breeders together as irresponsible. If you were posting on a puppy farmer's forum I would wholeheartedly support you.

As GSDlover has very aptly put it, the problem is people not breeders.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
I chose to get a registered puppy. Why? Because I wanted to be certain that their were no temperament or health issues for my dogs
Getting a pup from a breeder does not guarantee the dog will be healthy and have a good temperament. If this is important to you, you'd be better off getting an adult rescue dog that has been thoroughly vet checked and behaviour checked
tillytails
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover View Post
I can't help thinking that your venom may be a little misdirected on this particular issue.
I agree. I'd say top of the list for condemnation would be puppy farms, backyard breeders and ignorant pet owners who either don't neuter or stop their dogs from mating. Then I'd have a go at the irresponsible people who get a dog on a whim, have no idea how to look after them or train them, then discard them when it gets too difficult.

Responsible breeders who are working hard to improve a breed, help remove genetic health defects, pick the owners very carefully, fully explain all the good and not so good traits of their breed and offer lifetime support are to be applauded. As are the responsible owners who have thought through their requirements, carefully selected a breed that will suit them best and researched their breeder too. If it was always like this then there would be little need for rescue homes.

Allbreeds, it seems like you want to shoot the good guys rather than the ones that create the problem.
Zoundz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Getting a pup from a breeder does not guarantee the dog will be healthy and have a good temperament. If this is important to you, you'd be better off getting an adult rescue dog that has been thoroughly vet checked and behaviour checked
nonsense.

xx
Page 6 of 39 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »