Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mayhew Animal Home
Listed Rescue on Dogsey

15-11-2006, 05:44 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
How many breeders do pre home visits?
Not all breeders can, then again not all rescues do home visits either due to finance or manpower
How many do regular post home visits?
Not many breeders and not many rescues either
How many keep the microchips registered in their name?
Not many as some do not like to microchip 8 wk old puppies and some pups will go to the other side of the country so it is better the owner has it in their name. What happens if the breeder is away on holiday and the only contact is the breeder. If the owner looses their dog you can bet they'll be sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring. Trust me, been there. Rescues in the main will try and home dogs in a local area to themselves.How many breeders do you know that have taken a dog back because his/her care is not up to standard?
Again not many rescues have the resource to do constant post visits due to lack of manpower or funding.
How many ask for letters from landlord, councils etc?
How far do you grill someone?How many insist on seeing proof of receipt the new owner has paid for a course of training?
As I said in a previous post, once a puppy has been sold. The breeder has very little rights, even if they put things in a contract, legally the breeder doesn't have much of a leg to stand on
How many ask for proof the dog has been neutered or bred from?
How can you ask for proof when it's an 8 week old pup? How can you compare between a pup and a two year old rescue. Most rescues neuter the dog before rehoming, duh.What the breeder normally does is put endorsements on via the kc therefore stopping registration of any pups. It's the only thing that can be done.
How many would take the owner to court if the dogs was being bred from?
I really do not want to get into an argument on a public forum, however, I would like to point out that The Mayhew Animal Home carryout every single one of the above checks, as do most of the reputable rescues, including AllBreeds Rescue :smt001
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by Mayhew Animal Home View Post
I really do not want to get into an argument on a public forum, however, I would like to point out that The Mayhew Animal Home carryout every single one of the above checks, as do most of the reputable rescues, including AllBreeds Rescue.
Mayhew you are quite entitled to put your opinion on the forum as is everyone. I dont feel your being argumentative in the least.
As you quoted me, I do feel I need to reply. Bear in mind the questions above were written by ALLBREEDS aimed at breeders comparing them to what her rescue does. Different rescues have different levels of checks which is how I have answered on your quote above. Yes your rescue does all the checks as do ALLBREEDS. A credit to you. I'm sure all rescues would like to follow you but as I have stated before some don't have the resources. Different posts on here from people who have had rescues also confirm that. Some have had checks, some haven't. Rescues just do the best they can which is a credit to them. If they all could be so thorough, that would be great but money as we all know is tight.
I disagree that most of them do all the pre and post checks as even big national places such as the RSPCA, Dogs Trust etc don't follow through on all of them. Some don't even do a home check as they don't have the manpower. They simply ask for photos of the garden and house. I did not say anywhere where you have quoted me that rescues do this or don't do that. As the questions were aimed at breeders and used as a comparison with rescued, I gave my answers truthfully and in a balanced way to both sides.
As I'm sure you will appreciate if people want a rescued dog in the main they will go to their local rescue or breed rescue. How many dogs has your home rehomed to owners the other size of the country? Very few, just like the rescue I volunteered at, most of the dogs went to homes in the County or adjoining counties. Any that were not homed after a time, perhaps were moved to another centre to try to be rehomed in a different area or went to a particular breed rescue.
What I was pointing out above is that sometimes, breeders let their puppies go hundreds of miles away so therefore some of the checks are impossible and they have to go on the potential owners word and their own gut instinct.
Even with all the checks you carry out sometimes as I know from experience you have to go on that gut feeling too. A dog can look well cared for but still be unhappy. You never know fully whether the owner is totally giving that dog the love it deserves or how long it is left on it's own for etc, unless the dog shows psychological or physical signs.;0
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-11-2006, 06:33 PM
i can understand why rescues feel like they do but blaming any breeders for the over population is un fair, yes there are bad breeders but i would hope there is as many good.
i think any dog that comes into a rescue with any form of details, for the sake of the dog the rescue should contact the breeder and work together for the sake of the dogs future.
if the breeder of the dog regardless of age isn't given the chance or made aware of what has happened how can they forfill their role as the breeder.
i can only see it that the more people involved in trying to find the right home for the dog can only help secure a good home for the dog.
at the end of the day no good breeder would just allow any person to have 1 of their pups if that person turns out to be the wrong person theres nothing the breeder can do about it if they don't know that facts.
plus people shouldn't take on any animal they are not prepared to give life time commitment too.
i think it is unfair for the rescues to expect the breeder to justify themselfs thats a moral judgement not whats in the best interests for the dog concerned.
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2006, 09:49 AM
For what my two pence is worth. I believe this is a pointless argument, christ there are also children that need adopting but were not stopping people from Reproducing!!!!

I have unfortunately had a bad experience with rescue homes who wouldn't let me have a dog due to the fact I had no 'enclosed garden'. So I brought a puppy, really glad I did, she is perfect in every way. I am so glad there are responsible breeders out there, I for one think more educating needs to go on prospective dog owners to ensure they dont accidently buy from puppy farmers.
Page 39 of 39 « First < 29 36 37 38 39