View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2004, 12:58 PM
Opps sorry KathyM that comment wasn't aimed at u personally.
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-08-2004, 12:59 PM
No probs
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-08-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by KathyM
I think its very interesting that not one person has answered the original question. Instead of getting into the argument, let's have a proper discussion on that very question:

i would be interested into an insight into why people still breed when there are so may animals suffering and in need out there already
I think I answered the original question as did Katyb and others ...did you not see those replies..did you pause to read them?
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2004, 01:01 PM
I have a habit of doing that KathyM, only I don't put one foot in my mouth it's normally both feet right to the knees
eRaze
Administrator
Male 

23-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by KathyM
Azz - I'm not sure why you're being so rude and defensive. I only replied saying it was interesting that noone had replied to the original question. For the record, I have two rescue pedigree dogs. I am NOT against breeding when it is from the most excellent parents (health tested, show winning etc) and when new homes are properly vetted including homechecks. I never said I was. Now please refrain from turning the rescue owner and/or breeder/buyer into a "them and us" situation when it isnt so. It's obvious that is how you feel and that you have an issue with rescues, but I for one did not make it that way
Its not a them/us situation - what pisses people off is when a question is asked in such a way that it's insinuating that the opposing view is wrong - that is not the way to go about it!

We have LOTS of Dogwebbers that are into rescue HOWEVER they do not feel the need to make people who are not into rescueing as much as them, feel as though they are 'demons'.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2004, 01:06 PM
ok the message then was for doggy girl 2003 I am big enough to apologise,,,,, ok here goes I breed the odd litter to improve on the breed standard I am lucky enough to have one show girl whom i adore and is my pet first and formost.....I started out many moons ago with a puppy who was not a very good example of the breed we loved her very much she was never shown so I am not a ring side junky .....I have had 3 litters over the years but many have been kept back ...I don't breed for money or for other people I breed for me .......the odd few pups that i have not kept (very few) have also gone to good homes and 2 of them are doing well in the ring...... I can't talk for all breeds and feel sorry for all those dogs who end up PTS or homeless ...find me a cavalier puppy with clear tested parents of a good breed standard and i'll come and get it now !!!!
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Well Azz, I can honestly say that's not the way I'm asking it. I am GENUINELY interested. Just because I have rescue dogs does not make me a troublemaker (far from it I believe). I do wonder though what makes people breed when there are dogs dying in rescue (according to the Dogs Trust statistics, one dog every minute) - and that doesnt mean I think theyre evil, I just think they have reasons I must not know about. Have breeders got so defensive that it's now wrong to ask questions like this? I certainly dont mean to offend.

Minihaha - you did say why you breed, bu the question (well this is the way I read it) was what makes you breed knowing there are too many dogs in this world and not enough homes - ie what justifies it to you. Not just why do you breed. Forgive me if I've got that wrong.

Staffy:
Emma-836592
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2004, 01:16 PM
in my area, rescues always seem to state that the dog will be good with older children, only pet etc. Now i have 3 kids all under 12, i have a cat and i will be having 2 dogs (with the puppy I bred that i am keeping) All the puppies form my current litter had homes BEFORE they were born. People try to be very careful when buying a Stafford to ensure that the breeding for temprement has been the most important factor, with mine it has. Yes i am going to show my puppy as are 3 of the other new owners. I have stated to all the new owners IF anything occurs to change the situation and they can no longer keep the pup/dog, i will either have them back with me OR i will find them a suitable home. I have already helped rehome a stafford and i will continue to do so.

The question should be rephrased to ' WHY DO PEOPLE WITH NO HISTORY OF THEIR DOG CHOSE TO BREED IT WITH ANOTHER WITH NO HISTORY'
this would cut the number of rescue dogs in half at least !!
How many well bred, pedigree KC registered dogs do you get in rescues?? not many i will bet, because WHEN we breed we take the upmost care and responsibility for what we are producing to make sure that NONE of the dogs WE breed end up in rescues !!

to answer WHY i breed? because i wanted a suitable family pet that would grow up with us and i needed to know that the breeding was done for the right reasons and that temprement was the most important quality, as it has been throughout my bitches and the stud dogs pedigree. I will not have another litter until i want another dog AND i have enough homes waiting for the rest of the litter, as for making money you have got to be joking !! the expense of breeding a litter CORRECTLY means you dont make anything apart from other people happy with the new lif long family member you have provided and the joy of seeing these dogs grow into wonderful pets, so SATISFACTION is the main gain for breeders NOT money !!

Emma
xxxxx
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-08-2004, 01:19 PM
would just like to add...Tara a puppy I homed to a suoer family are desperate for another from me ..a sister they would like .....well I don't NEED to breed from her mum I also kept a bitch from her ...Puppy in avatar actually ......breeding is darn hard work if done correctly ..hands up all those who remember the 4 weeks i slept on lilo and did my back in
just to add not all pups ans rescues end up in the right homes a bloke who lives near me conned the local rescue and they allowed him this dog whom he 4 weeks later beat to death..... it was in our local paper
KathyM
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Hi Emma

A very sweeping judgement of rescues there. I am a mum of 3 children aged 5-9. I have 3 rescue cats, and 6 rats. I have rehomed not one traceable pedigree dog (pedigree papers, details of old owners etc), but two. One is my Boxer Ruby. I wont go into her story on here. The other is Dharma my Bullmastiff who I believe is of EXCELLENT pedigree. Both are bull breed dogs with little/no history (other than the paperwork and what their previous owners said - which couldnt be trusted of course) but temperament tested (Ruby was nearly 7 and Dharma was 4-5 months old). Neither rescue had any problem rehoming them with kids or cats - some rescues do. It's a case of hunting and waiting (neither of which we had to do much of, finding Ruby within minutes and Dharma within a day thanks to Dogpages and IA).

I think your post puts one answer forward though - a misguided view of rescues (generally from word of mouth) certainly plays a part in people BUYING pups (especially those that think they can't find a pedigree in rescue, never mind a pup). But what makes breeders decide to breed more, knowing the facts? Like I said, I'm not judging, I'm just intrigued.
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 32 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »