Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Piggie Pork and Lambie Lamb

Know that meat should and does smell certain way when cooking, but am cooking some pork ribs n they smell really piggie, very strong, were not reduced out of date or anything. Have found same with lamb also sometimes, beef not sure about, have never found it to be over beefy yet. Is this another senior moment or has anyone else ever thought it?
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Senior moment.
loufoxyloxy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-01-2011, 09:50 PM
no i have noticed it sometimes too when cooking bacon that sometimes it has a really piggy smell to it.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-01-2011, 10:03 PM
It does make me wonder that we have become so divorced from the source of meat that we perhaps don't like those smells or tastes any more?

What do you think the TV chefs etc are banging on about when they are talking about "taste" of meats.... if it isn't something connected to their origin?

I grew up in a farming community. There was a field of pigs next door... There were sheep just down the road... I squelched around in the muck of a dairy herd from an early age... we had chickens and I mucked them out. The smell of all the animals is imprinted in my mind and yes, I have to say the real taste of properly raised meat does carry a faint indefinable memory of its origin.

There's a very well known bakery here, which has been here for over 100 yrs and their Lardy Cake is legendary. They always use real local pig lard for the cake.... Once though I had some lardy cake from them and it tasted very very piggy... put me off a bit... but why should it, since that might be how the cake originally tasted for centuries....?

Our modern tastebuds are vastly different from those of our forebears. I guess you can blame supermarkets and MickeyD's for that.
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-01-2011, 12:14 PM
Thankyou for your replies. I think a lot of meat doesn't have same taste as when was a child. My Grandma's beef was always lovely and chicken too, that was from nearby farm. Maybe my tastes have changed too, didn't enjoy lamb the last time n always wonder what the saltmarsh lamb? tastes like, bet it's good. The ribs were ok(i ate them all)