Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2010, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I would agree...but not ALL behaviour is learnt.

Some behaviour is instinctive, given that - I cannot dismiss every interaction I see in my dogs as being learnt, they may have developed certain behaviours through experiences, but who am I to say what is what....

Zeff is a puzzling one at the moment......he is a pain in the neck to the other dogs - he goes mad in greetings....and they eventually get fed up and a couple have drawn blood....however - it has not stopped him behaving this way...so can I assume that the instinctive greeting/submissive (call it whatever) behaviour is not changing through his experiences...or is he getting the reaction he is looking for so the behaviour does not need to change?
Yup - which is why I said they do the behaviour based on personality first - I did mean to add instincts there too - but was trying to bang on less

Sounds like Zeff is being like the dog in the omega dogs thread?? Trying so hard to appease, but not realising that his behaviour is makeing things worse, so he tries EVEN harder to calm them down with his 'im just a daft wee puppy' act
Personly no way would I be letting my dogs draw blood!! I know your beliefes are different in this matter so I wont go on about it

But how about just recaling him away once he has greeted them but before he really pees them off??
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Yup - which is why I said they do the behaviour based on personality first - I did mean to add instincts there too - but was trying to bang on less

I'm sorry - I had thought you had said earlier that you did not agree with dogs being born to act a certain way.

Sounds like Zeff is being like the dog in the omega dogs thread?? Trying so hard to appease, but not realising that his behaviour is makeing things worse, so he tries EVEN harder to calm them down with his 'im just a daft wee puppy' act
Personly no way would I be letting my dogs draw blood!! I know your beliefes are different in this matter so I wont go on about it

But how about just recaling him away once he has greeted them but before he really pees them off??
I have no idea what Zeff will be....he is only 7 months - and still developing. I also do not think he is trying to appease.....he is greeting - and possibly pushing.

If I recall him off....one off two things happen - a) he is 100 x worse when he goes back in - and b) he starts to loose his recall (which is fairly minimal at the moment anyway!)
He is an odd duck....I have never worked with a dog like him before, due to his confidence issues and possibly type.

My dogs are good at explaining situations to other dogs - and they are a darn site more aware of what is going on that I am.....I will not stop them teaching a pup in whichever way they see fit. My pack works, I can leave them together, I can separate them, I can walk them together and they can interact with strange dogs. I train them to do various things, I will interfere if it looks like I am going to end up with a Vets bill.....but to be honest - I cannot recall the last time that happened....maybe 7 years ago...when I brought Trip into the house - but I will not try and teach them things I do not fully understand, when they can see the situation better than I can.
Emman75
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2013, 10:40 PM
I think excitement! Our pup went out with a dog walker for the 1st time and she said she had to put him on a lead as he was trying to hump all the other dogs which he had tried a leg once or twice but never before another dog!! But a few dogs have tried to hump him before and the owners have said to me their dog was being dominant!!!
Page 36 of 36 « First < 26 33 34 35 36