View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I think it can be down to a number of things, but the most common one is ignorance and a misconception that ALL show people are "only in it for money" and see their dogs as nothing but a means to an end.

For the majority of people who show and breed , its hobby one they love, along with it beign something they can do with the dogs they love... nothing like combining your hobby with your pets.

ofcause their are unethical people in showing, just like in every other walk of life.. but that ALL seem to be tarred with a very negative brush.

After all, we hear them say, the dog has no life, tied to a bench all day, preened to within an inch of their life, dragged around the country to feed an owners ego.

When in fact as anyone will know , (and this goes for all sports you do with your pets) if a dog does not want to or dislikes showing , there is no point in carrying on, the dog wont show , it will be flat in the ring and it will get looked over, so you are wasting both of your time.

Then we get the "breed standard " argument well, lets face it if we did not have breed standards and a way to judge them, we woudl have no breeds... but then I guess with will have those who are quite happy to see that happen.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Some people are anti everything!
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Then we get the "breed standard " argument well, lets face it if we did not have breed standards and a way to judge them, we woudl have no breeds... but then I guess with will have those who are quite happy to see that happen.
Just wondering what you think of some breed standards, not all have been for a really well functioning dog, like a few photo's that were put up on a thread of a GSD that won best in show, and even people who showed were not happy about it due to the hind leg formation, if shows set the guidelines for the 'best' dog, then if it is faulty in everyday dog functioning the status that dog gets is one of greatness where it isn't actually good for the breed standards.

Just a question, I am no dog showy person but think they need to be held with a responsibility of promoting good conformation for functioning not only in a show ring but every day life. Again I am not saying all do but even one is too many IMO.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Interesting thread. I have never shown, my previous dog Max was a heinz 57 and Ollie I would of loved to of shown but he showed from a very early age that most things in life would stress him out, so as he was meant to be a pet first and foremost I never pursued it.

I think as long as the dogs are treated well and not pushed into something they are not happy doing then there isn't a problem. I can understand people wanting to show off their dog, who knows I may one day with another dog give it a go.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
I understand what you are saying Rune, and the rehoming thing does go on with a lot of other hobbies...at least if a dog gets a nice fireside home rather than having to live in kennels I feel happier. I never kennelled my lot, hence why my house was always a mess , they just wanted to be part of the family and they were.

Ohh exactly dont get me wrong alot of people do kennel there dogs if i agree with it or not thats another thing, but our dogs are part of the family, sleep on our beds, our sofa and in most cases just do what they want..we wanted pets there for we want to enjoy them, and have them inside with us as part of the family..i couldnt sleep at night knowing my dogs where out there, hence we dont ever go on hoilday, we wouldnt kennel our dogs, we cant take this many with us, and there is no one we trust to live in our home and care for this many dogs properly.

Thanks Fiona, I do wonder if some of the anti's are going by hear say rather than what they actually know. Like anything though, there will always be some that mistreat their dogs, sadly a fact of life

Yes there are going to be people that are showing for more than a hobby and that think very little about there dogs well being and quality of life.. but to tar all show people the same is upsetting, thats means they are tarring people like me and you, the same as the people mentioned above, and they couldnt be any futhure away from the truth..its something i feel strongly about..

Thanks Anne-Marie, I did show quite a bit but certainly not every champ show going, just couldn't afford it. There are glory merchants who are only happy if they win, fortunately they are in the minority in my experience.
Well thats it, and thats what makes me laugh about people thinking alot of people show to make more money when breeding..I think they forget how expenisive showing is.
and that showing success doesnt mean anything to pet pup buyers which alot of show breeders perfere there pups to go to like us of course apart from the pup we keep back from the litter..
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Yes many think that show people are in it for the money, Ive been showing for 23yrs and never bred a litter!!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 03:43 PM
I admit I don`t like `proper` shows or competitive dog sports for that matter because some people lose sight of their love of the dog in their desire to win.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I admit I don`t like `proper` shows or competitive dog sports for that matter because some people lose sight of their love of the dog in their desire to win.
Why do you say that? I enter "proper" shows, I love my dogs, I dont know many that dont.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Why do you say that? I enter "proper" shows, I love my dogs, I dont know many that dont.
Agreed..but she said 'some' so to me tarring all with the same brush AGAIN!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Emma View Post
Just wondering what you think of some breed standards, not all have been for a really well functioning dog, like a few photo's that were put up on a thread of a GSD that won best in show, and even people who showed were not happy about it due to the hind leg formation, if shows set the guidelines for the 'best' dog, then if it is faulty in everyday dog functioning the status that dog gets is one of greatness where it isn't actually good for the breed standards.

Just a question, I am no dog showy person but think they need to be held with a responsibility of promoting good conformation for functioning not only in a show ring but every day life. Again I am not saying all do but even one is too many IMO.
I agree , there are a few breeds that may need a little tweak, but take the gsd for instance, (dont know alot about them) but the conformation to one breed may be detrimental to another... as far as I know the gsd is bred to pace over a ground to protect its stock, the structure of the hind legs is such to give it a "shock absorber" allowing it to work effortlessly... if you change the structure completely , will it be capable of its job, thats not to say, I dotn disagree , some look extremely over ungulates.

But that by the by, its not so much that, that you hear in the dislike of the show world, some will simply dismiss it as cruel (amongst other things) , for no other reason that they dont like it , and because they dont like it , nor should we.

Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post

I agree, without "proper " shows , we would nto have " proper " dogs !! (tongue in cheek) pedigrees!

You know the whole , "interfering with nature argument"!
Page 2 of 36 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »