Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
By being a responsible dog owner and making sure they never get the chance.

When do you think they would ever get the chance?
and how do you achieve that? that they will never get the chance.

Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
then if they react like that then yes,for their own good it would be kinder for them to be neutered.

i have 6 entire males not one of them acts like that,but as i havnt had them castrated they should be kept on leads??

it is a lazy option if the only reason you spay/neuter is so that you dont have to keep an eye on your dog to stop accidental breeding.
so what if one day, they meet a female who was in season and at the right time in her season that one of them showed a particular interest and nothing brought them back??? Im sorry, but no one can guarantee how interested a dog will every time they meet an in season female, and even if they have the best recall in the world, testosterone could easily over ride that. I feel so strongly about this, I got my jake from the SSPCA as a 7 week old pup. He was as result of an accidental litter, stuck in a teeny concrete kennel with his littermates. Im sorry but that is not what I want for more dogs, especially when you can walk around the kennels and see so many dogs desperately in need homes, but there just aren’t enough available. I think the responsible thing to do, is make sure 100% your dog cannot add to that, and to me that is by keeping them on lead cause you cannot predict the behaviour all the time. that is my opinion and I am entitled to it!

Originally Posted by Shona View Post
lol your having a laugh I have two stud dogs that also have 100% recall, why should I keep them on lead?
its the in season bitches I dont trust talking about my own that is,
that said, I never walk them in an area with any other dogs when they are in season.
no, im not. and i think no one can guarantee how a dog will react every time they meet an in season bitch.

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Hmm, that is interesting. So if, for example, you are walking through a park with your 6 entire males off lead and someone comes walking directly past you with a bitch or two in season, your entire males would ignore the bitch completely? or you would be able to call them off immediately?

I have to say that I am quite amazed at the number of people on this forum who say they would have such control of an entire dog off lead around an in season bitch. Judging by the completely out of control entire dogs around here, I dread to think what would happen if they came across an in season bitch!

I also find it interesting that some intact dog owners moan about people walking their bitches in season. If owners of entire dogs had control of their dogs, then people walking bitches in season shouldn't be an issue.
Good post, I am also amazed at the number of people who can have such excellent control over their dogs, that they can guarantee that they will never cause an accidental litter.

Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
Also, just thought of something else...Lozzi - do you think ALL male showdogs should never be exercised off lead?
not in public, no. if they have a secure place where no females will be, then yes but not in a public place. and why are show dogs being brought into this? What difference does it make if it is a show dog or a pet dog?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
I actually take quite offense to that - are you suggesting that - because my dog (or bitch) is entire, I cannot train them to the degree you can train yours to? Or that you find it easier as you have chosen to control your dogs instincts through surgery?

Gabe is a fantastic dog in many ways (he suffers from separation related issues) but there is no marking/humping/bitching/running off/aggression....and he is coming up to 8 years old.

I have a great dog, who is a brilliant teacher and a (relatively) easy dog to live with. Why should I have him neutered???
Where did I say that? considering I have a dog who doesn’t get let off lead in the park, and is on a long line, I wouldn’t say that!! but I think a dog that is driven by testosterone is no guarantee! Yes some dogs may have good recall, and it may be good around some in season bitches, no one can guarantee they will always have the reaction!!

Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Neutering a male dog isn't a major operation. The most risky part of the procedure is the anesthetic. The actual physical removal of the testes is not invasive; I have had the pleasure(!) of watching it being done. Spaying a bitch is FAR more invasive yet most people have no problem in spaying a bitch.
that is a very good point, neutering is a common procedure and yes maybe for some dogs it goes wrong, but the percentage of that must be low.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
and how do you achieve that? that they will never get the chance.
I'll ask you again cos you seem to have missed it the first time, then I'll answer your question.

When do you think they'll get the chance?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 12:40 AM
that is a very good point, neutering is a common procedure and yes maybe for some dogs it goes wrong, but the percentage of that must be low.
So if your dog died under anaesthetic during an operation that wasn't necessary you'd be ok with that?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
it is a lazy option if the only reason you spay/neuter is so that you dont have to keep an eye on your dog to stop accidental breeding.
it isnt the easy option, it is a safe one where owners can have the piece of mind that there isnt any chance that their dogs contributes to the already high numbers of unwanted dogs. that is the last thing i would ever what me and jake to end up causing.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 12:43 AM
I'll ask you again cos you seem to have missed it the first time, then I'll answer your question.

When do you think they'll get the chance?
do you have them off lead in a public place? then they could easily get the chance then, i dont know enough of your personal circumstances around where and how you walk your dogs to answer that directly for you.

So if your dog died under anaesthetic during an operation that wasn't necessary you'd be ok with that?
i dont see neutering as an unnecessary operation though.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 03:16 AM
I don't get the 'if it ain't broken don't fix it' thoughts, it is not about fixing a problem, it is about ensuring there is no possiblity of your dog reproducing, to me it is worth it, I get if people are wanting to breed or keeping their options open. With Scratch there were other reasons I chose to as well.
I don't think you can guarantee 100% it won't happen, and it is not necessarily a reflection of the dog owner, it is just that there is the possiblity, you can reduce the chances but not rule it out entirely.
I know there are responsible entire dog owners out there but there are so many ones that aren't and I wouldn't want to have to worry everytime I went out that there are foolish owners out there with their dogs or roaming free dogs.
Maybe it is different depending on where you live?
For the record I guess I should say Jed is entire (it is not my decision, otherwise he would be) and I have limited control over that.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 07:09 AM
why are show dogs being brought into this? What difference does it make if it is a show dog or a pet dog?
I'll answer that Lozzi...show dogs should have two normal descended testicles so you will be penalised for showing a dog without them, unless you have permission from the Kennel Club to show a neutered dog. As I mentioned in my post, it isn't supposed to make a difference to the judge but it is quite rare that a dog without testicles will be placed over a dog of equal merit that has his testicles. Therefore, those of us who own show dogs tend not to have them neutered except for medical reasons but still let them off lead for exercise. Hope this helps
spot
Dogsey Veteran

09-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Now that I find offensive! You think those of us who do neuter/spey wouldnt care if our dogs died?

Just as a matter of interest would anyone own up on here if they had had an accidental mating?
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2010, 08:26 AM
lozzi hun, I show and breed my dogs, I dont see why my dogs should lead some sort of second class life because of that, being confined to a lead all the time,

I do know how my dogs will behave round in season bitches, I have two bitches that come into season twice a year,
you do also get some bitches at shows, that are just coming in/out or in season {they shouldnt be there but they are,} so I know how my dogs will behave round bitches they dont live with,
I cant think of any bitch I have met on a walk thats in season,
my dogs dont have a good recall most of the time, they have 110% recall all of the time,
to add to that, I dont let my dogs run up to strange dogs in the park {yes believe it or not they come back to me when they see another dog}
so the chance of them stumbling over an in season bitch while off lead is highly unlikely,.

and lets be honest, owners of bitches should be taking some responsibility as well.

I think your hearts in the right place, but you dont think things through very well.

you base your views on what you see in your own dogs? remember some dogs are far more responsive to commands than jake is to yours at the moment.
Page 7 of 33 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »