Our sister sites
Trixy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
Knob....springs to mind.
We had it happen last week.....'call your dogs mine's a Staffy, it will Kill'

That was the post I put up the day we'd been down by the river....it really wanted to play though...I could tell

Well put
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
I just think you are assuming a lot and if there is one thing I hate it is when people's offlead dogs pester my onlead dogs. Not saying this is what happened in your situation but IMO on seeing the man restrain his dogs your objective should have been to get your dogs past in a quick and calm mannor without antagonising them further.
Its a good job you are not saying that As I said, but you seemed to have missed I normally would, but taking everything into account this wasnt a time I was going to, I judged the situation and I made the best judgement, a judgement that was right.

How do you nothing would have happened if he just kept on walking and didn't restrain them? You say you have never seen him before so you don't know this at all. He saw your dogs and restrained his, more likely because he knew they were not dog friendly and yours were offlead. A lot of irresponsible owners wouldn't have even done that, at least he was making some sort of an effort rather than letting them snarl and lunge at the end of their leads.
You never know, but with me walking one way and him the you are taking the dogs away from a possible situation.

You also insinuate he is a fair weather walker, he might well be but just because you have never seen him before doesn't mean that he is.
True, but judging from the fact I walk that way twice a day and have done for ten years now, and my neighbour as walked even long for 20+yrs and neither have never seen him makes it a good bet. And what that has to with whether what happened was right or wrong is beyond me.

Also, I didn't say to always put them onlead if they come across other onlead dogs, but in this circumstance you saw in advance that the guy was restraining his dogs for some reason.
Again, please read, I DID NOT see in advance, about 5ft in my opinion is not advance, should I have stood next to him and said "wait a minute mate I will get them on the lead on this narrow path with not much room,"

It is more likely the dogs started making noise as you and your dogs got closer - not solely because they were being restrained. Maddy is good up to about 1ft away usually.
And if he had walked calmly instead of throwing his arms around them thus IMO making them feel even more nervous, not sure about dogs, narrow path and now unable to move. Not a bright idea.

Although the dogs probably would have kicked off anyway (going by the guys attempt to restrain them before they started) Skye staring at the dogs probably intimidated them more, as i'm sure you know, a dog staring down another is often a sign of dominance/challenge and then when Star started barking too i'm sure the man would have began to become frustrated and so making his dogs more frustrated.
Well thats where they are different, I dont have a problem with Skye looking, It could be worse she could run after a dog and not come back when called. or dogs looking like at mine as they wont react, If they did and were onlead and a dog did start to stare I would thing "I know, my dogs worried and may react I will stand still and reinforce the problem" With Star barking, when dogs start barking it often leads to others barking.

[/QUOTE]
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 06:00 PM
hiya

i am inclined to agree slightly with Kel to be honest as the chavvy owner of a staffie You might have made the same assumption about me.

Bruno being Bruno if we had been in the mans situation, with dogs approaching offlead, on a narrow path - I know I would have to have bruno right beside me and possibly physically restrain him to prevent him lunging at your dogs.

Its easy to judge someone based on a single action but there must be loads of people who think i am a "chav " typical staffie owner when I am making bruno sit and possibly restraining him for his own good...
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Brundog View Post
hiya

i am inclined to agree slightly with Kel to be honest as the chavvy owner of a staffie You might have made the same assumption about me.

Bruno being Bruno if we had been in the mans situation, with dogs approaching offlead, on a narrow path - I know I would have to have bruno right beside me and possibly physically restrain him to prevent him lunging at your dogs.

Its easy to judge someone based on a single action but there must be loads of people who think i am a "chav " typical staffie owner when I am making bruno sit and possibly restraining him for his own good...
The fact remains though that if he had carried on walking that would have been a better option. If I had put them on the lead thre would have been no room and you would have had 6 dogs in close proxcimity of each other, that in my opinion is a recipe for disaster. The chav remark is about the, get you dogs they are staffies bit.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-06-2008, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Stormey View Post
True, but judging from the fact I walk that way twice a day and have done for ten years now, and my neighbour as walked even long for 20+yrs and neither have never seen him makes it a good bet. And what that has to with whether what happened was right or wrong is beyond me.

I walk my dogs every day, 2-3 times a day, but rarely walk them round where I live. The point I was making is that you seem to be making a lot of assumptions and accusations about this guy.

Again, please read, I DID NOT see in advance, about 5ft in my opinion is not advance, should I have stood next to him and said "wait a minute mate I will get them on the lead on this narrow path with not much room,"
When you have a nervous/dog aggressive dog, 5ft is in advance, anything before the other person gets to you is in advance. What you do in the seconds (sometimes split seconds) between your dog noticing the other dog and reacting to the other dog is make or break and it all counts.

And if he had walked calmly instead of throwing his arms around them thus IMO making them feel even more nervous, not sure about dogs, narrow path and now unable to move. Not a bright idea.
True but on the other hand they could have felt less nervous by being unrestrained and still lunged and with it being a narrow path, bitten you or lunged at your dogs and bitten them. At least he was restraining them as he obviously knew his dogs and how they would react.

Well thats where they are different, I dont have a problem with Skye looking, It could be worse she could run after a dog and not come back when called. or dogs looking like at mine as they wont react, If they did and were onlead and a dog did start to stare I would thing "I know, my dogs worried and may react I will stand still and reinforce the problem" With Star barking, when dogs start barking it often leads to others barking.
Yes no doubt there were better ways to handle the situation and no doubt the majority of other dogs would have no problem in Skye looking at them, but the fact is these particular dogs may have seen it as a threat which only fueled them even more and then Star barking at them even more so, so I feel at this point the man was well within his right to ask you to get your dogs.

I wasn't asking for a debate I was just stating my opinion from my own similar experiences having had the foot on the other shoe, i'll back down now.
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Yes no doubt there were better ways to handle the situation and no doubt the majority of other dogs would have no problem in Skye looking at them, but the fact is these particular dogs may have seen it as a threat which only fueled them even more and then Star barking at them even more so, so I feel at this point the man was well within his right to ask you to get your dogs.

I wasn't asking for a debate I was just stating my opinion from my own similar experiences having had the foot on the other shoe, i'll back down now.
There is really no need to use such a horrid colour
You may not have wish to start a debate but I will put my case.

I am making assumptions based on the they are staffies comment.
You say when you have nervous/dog aggressive dog, 1 of each here, Jake nervous who today I did what I said, carried on walking calm, and Star when onlead used tobe scared if he saw a dog, again I did things like not stopping, throwing my arms round and making him feel my nervous and now is fine.

I will spell the next bit out for you, I was walking one way him the other, if he had carried on walking I would have and the dogs would not have given a second glance. So why stop have someone get them back on leads in a confinded space all of which would take time thus increasing the chance of problems, its not rocket science just common sense.

And once more for fun, Star barked when they started howling, not owning more than one dog yourself and having attened shows you will know that when one dog barks it will often lead to others. With Skye staring, if his dog are affected by this, why stand there and let it continue? just a thought.
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2008, 08:22 PM
i feel really sorry for nice staffie owners ,this staffie situation with the hoodies needs addressing ,these dogs are suffering in lots of ways because of it its wicked i think i feel really worried for the staffie breed in the future . staffies are a blackcountry dog ,well thats how they were thought of some time back ,and walked in the area with pride ,i really dont know whats happened its wicked allso you do eye the yobs with staffies up as you feel a bit nervous not because of the breed but because of the hands it may have fell into ,and spoilt it
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2008, 08:59 AM
A little update, I was out this morning at the top of the fields and see him again at the far end, this time with both dogs running about off-lead, so this gets me thinking,

1. If they are agressive they imo shouldnt be off-lead, more so in an area where dogs can just appear.

2. If they are just aggressive while onlead and some dogs can be, holding them tight isnt the best way to deal with it.
nickyboy
Dogsey Senior
Male 

09-06-2008, 09:43 AM
hmm this is an interesting one, my staff has never shown any real aggression, when he does show aggression its always been to tell the odd dog on very occasional circusmtances to f-off with a quick nip and snarl and thats it. However his sister ( owned by my uncle ) is a different kettle of fish and is less dog friendly and has had a few altercations where they walk her.
They do let her off the lead , like her brother she loves playing fetch, she is a very well behaved dog and has a good recall, but when dogs get too near they will put her on the lead to a) be better safe than sorry and b) because its the responsible thing to do in their opinion.
Maybe this fella didnt put it right but leashing his dogs wasnt necessarily showing a lack o responsibility
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-06-2008, 10:03 AM
IMO, If you have a dog that is aggressive it shouldnt be allowed offlead untill the problem is sorted or in a safe enviroment. These before was running round quite a distance from the owner but in an area where dogs could come on, the owner may have good recall but It could be to late if they are suddenly faced with another dog.

I did say earlier that I couldnt tell if they were aggressive or not but imo the way he acted last week and then today is being stupid either way, If they are, letting them offlead is wrong, as is standing in a place where there are other dogs getting past rarther than carrying on away from the dogs. If they are not I think acting like that and holding them in that way is going to make them nervous of dogs.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >