Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Helping.Hounds View Post
Keep up the excellent work AllBreeds Rescue you are an inspiration to us all.
aww thank you :smt001

Krusewalker again you are making assumptions, this is exactly why I said before I'd prefer not to mention rescues names as they aren't here to defend themselves against your assumptions. Why don't you call the rescues so you can hear for yourself what checks they carryout.

I would have thought someone who used to work in rescue would have more knowledge about rescue policies, you stated that I'm avoiding your questions, yes a few of them I ignored because I honestly thought you knew the answers yourself but were just being difficult. If this is not the case and there are questions you honestly don't know the answer to, please feel free to number them in a post and I will answer them one by one.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Hello Anne, i did wonder why you were ignoring my questions - thank you for explaining.
I haven't made any assumptions on this thread - for example, I never said all rescues inside the ADCH are 'reputable', but that there are reputable rescues that are members of the ADCH.
Also, I do know a lot about rescue policies as i have had connections with many over 10 years, one contact being the ADCH. Hence the reason I mentioned them, and the fact that they have devised a code of practice for rescues which is considered to be an ideal standard to attain (albeit not all do, including the ADCH's own members sometimes), and this code doesn't stipulate additional vet refs or dog training placements.

So it was because of my experience of rescues and their policies that I posted in the first place, and i have never ever heard of these 2 polices from anyone prior to this thread.
I have no idea why you imagined i was trying to be difficult with you? That is an assumption from yourself there - I dont know you, I agreed with your thread, and my motivation for posting what I did was explained several times - sense of fair play, and a balanced and reasoned argument that can give links and evidence when requested, otherwise us rescue folk get labelled as people intolerant unrealistic ideological cranks.
A stereotype some love to bander about already - and they just love ammunition!
A few people on the thread and in my rep area understood this .

*Maybe* (?) you went on the defensive (offensive?) with me because of this assumption I was trying to make trouble for you?? In all honesty, why would I be that motivated toward someone I dont know? No offence intended there

Regarding the list you gave, I already had experience of some of these and their policies - also, none of their websites stipulated these 2 policies you mention.
Mayhew even put their application form online, which itself doesnt even mention these 2 policies
But i did acknowledge the people on this thread knew better about the Mayhew.
The RSPCA, for example, as well as not stating they will ask for vets letters in addition to homechecks, also state they wont even always just do a homecheck.

You are right, I could phone them all - but that is what the websites are for.
Again, that is nothing to do with any assumptions i may or may not hold - that is just me acting on the public information they offer - and if they all do have these 2 extra policies as you state, but none of them put them on their sites, then that would be most peculiar.
Why mention all your other checks and assessments, but not those 2??
Surely that would be bad PR?

Personally, I am quite happy with the arrangement of rescues just asking for homechecks, and letters from vets or dog wardens if a homecheck form the actual rescue or another rescue isn't possible first.
I have sold dog trainers to adopters - even arranged classes for them, but wouldnt make it compulsory prior to adoption, although i would look favourably upon someone whom has at least found out about good local trainers.
But mainly, i think all rescues should aim to run their own training classes instead, which should then be compulsory for the adopters.

Don't worry any more about the questions, you have kindly answered them now, i think.

cheers, kruse.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 09:50 PM
Originally Posted by AnneUK View Post
Please do mention which breeder this is I’d honestly like to congratulate them. I too assumed there would be some reputable breeders on here who carried out these checks, but was taken a back when only one breeder replied on this thread saying they did.

I also said on that same thread if I were to ever come across a breeder/breed rescue where I felt 100% comfortable with their rehoming policies, adoption contract and how they housed the dogs, I would consider passing the dog back, enabling us to free up a space for another. Unfortunately I am yet to find one. The breed rescues I do currently work with are all rescue based and not run by breeders.
Just because only one breeder replied and said they carry out the checks doesn't mean we don't all do them. I seem to have written the same thing on about 4 threads in this respect so I'm sorry I missed this one. I do check my puppy owners thoroughly before pups are conceived, after they have left the nest, and throughout their lives.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 10:20 PM
Sorry Krusewalker but just because a rescue hasn't mentioned all of their checks or adoption policies on their website doesn't mean they don't have additional checks and/or adoption policies. You'll find most rescue websites give a brief outline of their policies and how to go about adopting one of their dogs. I have repeatedly explained that even reputable rescues don't carry out all of these checks, all of the time. The list of checks (I'll say it again) are examples of checks reputable rescues carryout, each check relevant to the individual adopter and the type of dog their adopting. If you don't believe that the rescues I've listed also carry out these additional checks phone them for yourself before giving incorrect information about them. There are many other checks reputable rescues will also carryout e.g meeting all family members, confirmation from boss if the new dog is due to go to work with the owner, confirmation from dog walker/doggy day care if the owners work full time, checking with other rescues if the owner has adopted a rescue dog before, proof of address, photos of previous dogs etc etc again these are example of checks reputable rescues carryout -again not all reputable rescues will carryout all of these checks, all of the time. These simple checks are certainly not in place to put people off or make it difficult for them to adopt, the checks are in place to make sure their dogs go to the right homes, after all it's the dogs that are the rescues main priority.

Personally if a potential adopter was put off by the idea of being checked out, I'd rather they didn't adopt one of our dogs.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2007, 10:25 PM
each check relevant to the individual adopter and the type of dog their adopting.
So, there does not seem to be any difference between rescues and responsible breeders after all :smt001 We all use our discretion in order to bring about our common aims ie to see every dog placed in an appropriate home for a lifetimes commitment.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 10:43 PM
I don't doubt that reputable breeders want to find good homes for their pups, however I do think they should have a policy of carrying out the same checks as reputable rescues, I'm not saying they have to carryout every single one of these checks all of the time as it should be based on the individual owner. I honestly think if more reputable breeders decided to carryout these checks less would end up in rescue.
Hewey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-06-2007, 10:52 PM
But we have already established rescues, even reputable ones don't all carry out the same checks. They do the ones they think appropriate, presumably based on experience of what achieves their aims, the same as responsible breeders.
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by Hewey View Post
They do the ones they think appropriate, presumably based on experience of what achieves their aims, the same as responsible breeders.
Unfortunately I've not found that to be the case, in my experience very few reputable breeders carry out pre or post homevisits, very few insist on proof of neutering, ref from vets etc
AnneUK
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
the fact that they have devised a code of practice for rescues which is considered to be an ideal standard to attain (albeit not all do, including the ADCH's own members sometimes), and this code doesn't stipulate additional vet refs or dog training placements..
This is a minimal standard not an ideal standard

The RSPCA, for example, as well as not stating they will ask for vets letters in addition to homechecks, also state they wont even always just do a homecheck. .
There are branches of the rspca that always carryout pre homvisits.

and if they all do have these 2 extra policies as you state.
I didn’t state they 'all' carried out these 'two' policies, I said the rescues listed ask for vet refs, letters fom councils/landlords and/or insist on training.
Off the top of my head other rescues who also ask for vet refs, letters fom council,landlord and/or insist on training
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2007, 12:41 AM
I don't doubt that reputable breeders want to find good homes for their pups, however I do think they should have a policy of carrying out the same checks as reputable rescues, I'm not saying they have to carryout every single one of these checks all of the time as it should be based on the individual owner. I honestly think if more reputable breeders decided to carryout these checks less would end up in rescue.

sorry if im saying something thats already been brought up in the thread, it is long and I have not read it all, but
in my experiance lots of rescue dogs, homed then end up back in rescue, I get loads of calls from people who have rescued dogs and cant deal/cope or handle the dog, often they have been told its one thing and its clearly not, I had one that was ment to be a boxer x the dog was a whippet cross, jet black head like a bikes racing saddle and unfortunately for them could run like the wind,,,,without a backwards glance, then again that prob just speaks volumes about the standards in my area,,, which are nil and the biggest offender is the council run home, its a ruddy disgrace, I truely hope they are better in other areas, there are no checks done here, I got a Neo from them for a fiend and walked out with it the same day, no checks nowt,,,, a ruddy neo mastiff great eh,
Page 21 of 33 « First < 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 > Last »