register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
View Poll Results: Have you ever been bitten by a dog?
Yes -severely attacked/mauled 17 5.33%
Yes 213 66.77%
No 89 27.90%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll - please see pinned thread in this section for details.

Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-12-2007, 01:11 PM
I've never been bitten so to speak, but I've got loads of tiny scars on my fingers and hands for nips.

My problem is that I like to play with a frisbee with them over the park, and when Duke was alive we would both go to catch it together and the amount of time one of his teeth would catch a finger was unreal.

Onyx and Ruby have also both caught me while playing tug of war with a rope as they both tend to want to work there way up it until I have got nothing to hold.

That is not to say that I haven’t had a dog go for me because I have. Two years ago I was visiting a friend who has a rescue centre for Dobes in Birmingham and opened up the kennel door to help check over this particular dog and it just leaped for me, but I managed to close the door before he got to me and he ended up going face first into the door. Very sadly I heard that it had to be PTS as it had a brain tumour and was in a lot of pain at the time, so it wasn’t really the dogs fault.
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Had to vote "Yes", because I have been plugged by Kali on one occasion, but it was MY fault, not his.

Kali is a Border Collie, then probably about 6 years old. He came racing in from the garden (he rarely did anything slowly when he was young!) and got one of his forepaws stuck under the draught excluder, which started him screaming. Of course, I dived in to help him, but got pegged instead. I should have immobilised him with my sweatshirt first, but I didn't. Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

He's still going, now 13, and somewhat slower these days.

Snorri
ShaynLola
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 01:42 PM
The first time I was bitten was by a Rough Collie at my Mum's friends farm. I was 3 or 4 years old. Mum had called to pick up some eggs and I got out of the car with her. The dog was no-where in sight when we arrived. I had just stepped away from the car when the dog floored me and bit me on the shoulder before it was pulled off me. Completely unprovoked attack but apparently the dogs was known to be unpredictale. It was not PTS as they usually kept it away from people it didn't know and on this one occasion, it had escaped it's enclosure but no-one realised it was out.

Second was neighbour's elderly Collie X when I was about 6 or 7. I was trying to rescue it from being tormented by a boy who lived around the corner. I went to take it by the collar to walk it home and it turned and bit me on the cheek (not badly enough to leave a scar thankfully). The dog just lashed out at the closest person (me) but the attack was brought on by whatever it had been subjected to by the boy from round the corner. The dog knew me well and never bit anyone before or after that incident. It was not PTS....I wouldn't have wanted it to be. I loved that dog as much as any of our own and the bite wasn't his fault.

Third was a BC. I was about 13. I was watching an agility comp and there was a woman beside me with the BC (also watching, not competing). I asked if it was ok to pet the dog, she said yes. I put my hand down toward the dog and it went for me. I managed to get my hand away quickly so it only grazed me but if I hadn't reacted quickly, it would have been a proper bite. Not PTS. The attack wasn't serious and the lady made a quick getaway without saying a word!!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 01:47 PM
I was biten once breaking up a dog fight , When my older dog juke got attacked , but it is the only time i got biten , and i guess i was purely to blame for trying to split up dogs when fighten xxdk
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Yes, on my hand. My two gsd's many years ago, were curled up together in the same bed. I saw that the bigger one was about to go for my younger one, so in a flash, I stepped in, big mistake, she ended up sinking one of her great big canine teeth into my hand at the bottom of my thumb! She knew immediately what had happened, so not a word was said. I rushed over to the sink to run it under cold water and within 5 minutes it had grown to a lump the size of a golf ball on my hand. I rang Casualty and asked how long the queue was, it just happened to be a Saturday night , so I didn't bother! It went down eventually, I still have a scar, and no, my dog wasn't pts, it was MY fault for intervening, and I kept my mouth shut! She was the sweetest dog ever, but obviously the other dog was taking up too much room in the bed for her liking!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-12-2007, 01:55 PM
I have been bitten I voted badly but you will have to judge whether it was or not my Parents felt it was.
I was 2yrs old sitting on floor of our living room Aunt and Uncle visiting with their dog.Wasn't Westie but similar only black not white sorry not sure of breed.It leapt across living room at me to try to take my biscuit and tore my top lip almost removing one half.Uncle use to let it eat from his mouth so suppose you could say not the dogs fault.It was not pts but was not allowed in our house after that and we didn't visit them again while it lived.
Have very faint scar now.Mentally scarred me for years as terrified me of dogs till my Sister got a Spaniel x then overcame my fear.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 01:55 PM
yes

when i was 6ish - by a yorkie

bit my leg quite badly - no it wasnt destroyed although it bit a hell of a lot of people....

by sam when she had her stroke, i was trying to hold her and she just snapped through pain, she didnt draw blood, but it hurt! not as mucha s she was hurting though, poor little girl

one other labx has gone for me while walking my dogs, i had a stick on me to fight it off, i know this dog and it wouldnt have stopped,.....

my mum has been bitten by a labx again - for now reason she was getting me and ice cream when i was younger and i was at the side of her and she saw the dog coming and pushed my out of the way just in time else it would have had my face, she stil has a small scar now....

she has also been bitten by the same yorkie i first posted about - at a differnet time!)

my mum also separated our old dog and a nother dog i really cant remember what breed it was - it was medium and extremely fluffy!! nasty thing is was..... that bit my mum becuase they were either side of her....

thats us really - i cant think right now if there were any more that happpend to her - but thats what happened to me - i ve been very lucky mum not so much!
KateM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2007, 01:57 PM
I have been bitten several times, but to be fair, in some cases it was my own fault and in others a case of "it goes with the territory" when either working as a vet nurse or helping a friend who ran a grooming salon.

Bites I class as probably my own fault are all from my own dogs in splitting up fights. We had two bitches that decided after living together quite happily for 3 years that in fact they hated one another, the odd scrap escalated to killing fights when ever they managed to get within a room of each other. I learnt the hard way that you never ever put your hands in to grab - getting bitten on several occasions on my arms - hard enough to draw blood but never enough to require stitching. It was always a single bite and my arm was spat out fast when they realised what it was.

Helping out a friend who was a groomer i got caught on the hands several times when grooming out small dogs who were extremely knotty - most probably a reaction to the pain caused by removing knots close to fragile and sometimes sore skin.

As a vet nurse i was taught that if any animal is going to bite make sure it's you not the vet! Again most bites were to my arms and hands. I couldn't say that one breed of dog was worse than any others - and in most cases the bite was a reaction to pain.unfamilar surroundings/people etc.

My worst bite incident involved a jack russel which we eventually, after it had bitten 3 nurses and it's owners, had to muzzle by dropping the muzzel over it's head on a pair of cow forceps, the dog being on double leads held onto very firmly by 2 nurses!

The only bites i've had that have required stitching were from cats, and the worst bite i ever had was from a hamster who i was holding whilst it's leg was splited and plastered - the vet got the leg into position just as it sunk it's teeth into my thumb - and the teeth stayed there till she'd finished plastering - i didn't think the owner would have appreciated it if i'd done what my initial reaction was which was to shake my hand to get the hamster off!

K
Border1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2007, 02:06 PM
First time was by a lab cross called Basil who we owned and he bit me on the face under the eye and on the lip i was about 11 at the time second time was a boxer cross he bit me on the arm neither dog was put to sleep
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-12-2007, 02:08 PM
I've been bitten twice.

The first time entirely my fault, at a friends house I was about 15 years old went to sit on the sofa, and didn't se their elderly JRT behind a cushion, and as i went to sit he bit me on the thigh. I always check before sitting now

Second time was Boxing day, walking the dogs along a river path near my OH relatives and a staffy came charging up to us (myself , daughter and dogs), bit Mack several times totally unprovoked, luckily he has very thick fur, he has puncture wounds but not as bad as it could of been. The staffy then turned on myself and my little girl, he got my hands as i was shielding my daughter, and my calves, luckily I had on my wellies so they took a lot of the flack.Daughter has one mark on her cheek, not sure if it was caused by a tooth or claw.

This is the second time in six months that a loose dog has attacked my dogs. It makes me soo angry. What really pees me off is that a little girl who was confident and dog savvy and would tell you how much she loves staffies, is now really scared of them
Page 2 of 19 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »