Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Just wanted to say, I too was totally against hunting of any kind years ago. But you know what - the animals that are shot during a shoot enjure far less pain and suffering than the majority of animals that sit on your dinner plate.

Cows that never see daylight, chickens that live their lives in cages. Give me hunting any day.
I used to feel just this way - and still can't agree with hunting purely for pleasure, but when it is for the table I can accept that. At least the birds get to live a natural life until they are humanely and quickly dispatched.

It is unlikely that I will ever take part in any hunting/shooting activity, but it doesn't stop me enjoying watching a gundog work - doing what it was bred to do, and loving every minute.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 11:06 PM
=Ripsnorterthe2ndAm I invisible? Read my posts!

The thing is the situation isn't dangerous, it's just potentially harmful with the full tailed Springer being the way it is. To be against docking for your own personal reasons, rather for that of the dog is surely worse than the terrible and evil person I am for wanting to dock?
I have never once said you are terrible or evil.
Not once.
Surely you are prodocking for your own personal reasons, because you enjoy seeing the dogs work? We are both approaching this from our view points Rips. The dog actually has no say in it your way or mine. :smt002

These dogs have been bred to work for hundreds of years, they absolutely adore it. Yes they could live with out it, but I personally love to see dogs doing what they were bred for and loving it at the same time. I choose to dock to allow them to do this without injury and yet I'm looked down upon by some?
I don't look down on you, but I am entitled to my opinion.
I don't doubt that the dogs enjoy doing what they were trained to do Rips,doesn't mean I agree with it.

I love my dogs and only want the best for them, I dock for these reasons. I'm not a nasty person who loves "mutilating" my animals. This opinon is what I find most offensive.
never thought for one moment that you didn't love your dogs, never even suggested it, the thought has not crossed my mind.
I used the word 'mutilation' as that is the word that is used by vets etc to describe docking. Not my choice of word, as I put in the post I used that word in.

If you're anti hunting then fair enough, but don't project this feeling onto the dogs that love the job.
Yep, I'm anti hunting, I think that's obvious. great the dogs love their job Rips, that, in my opinion, is because they are trained to do it (and sometimes not in that nice a manner it has to be said) they could also channel their energy and enthusiasm elsewhere. What say do the birds and game have, I wonder if they enjoy it?? Sorry, just my opinion and not having a go.

Just wanted to say, I too was totally against hunting of any kind years ago. But you know what - the animals that are shot during a shoot enjure far less pain and suffering than the majority of animals that sit on your dinner plate.
Yep, you are probably right, if they are shot well.
Nope, no animals actually make it onto my dinner plate, as I'm sure you've probably already guessed.

Rips, I never said you were any of the things you've suggested I've said.
Yes, I am totally anti hunting and always have been.
My opinion, I'm allowed to have it, just as you are allowed to have yours.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post

I love my dogs and only want the best for them, I dock for these reasons. I'm not a nasty person who loves "mutilating" my animals. This opinon is what I find most offensive.
I assume you mean you have a vet do it as its been illegal for non-vets to do it for many years.

Cows that never see daylight, chickens that live their lives in cages. Give me hunting any day.
For the record, no animals sit on any dinner plate of mine, I`m vegetarian :smt001
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Deleted this message, because after some thought I couldn't really justify why I asked it! Sorry!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 11:19 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Playing devil's advocate here - but do the vegetarians feed their dogs meat?
...sorry changed my mind, I answered but I don't see the relevance??? Sorry.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Deleted as the question was retracted lol
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Thanks for replying Patch, but I have deleted the question now

On that topic though, do you think it is fair to your dogs to feed them a totally veggie diet?

Edited to say that maybe we should start a new thread for vegetarian diets for dogs, as I don't want to detract from the original thread.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2006, 11:44 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Thanks for replying Patch, but I have deleted the question now

On that topic though, do you think it is fair to your dogs to feed them a totally veggie diet?

Edited to say that maybe we should start a new thread for vegetarian diets for dogs, as I don't want to detract from the original thread.
Yep new thread for that I agree - its always an interesting one wherever its come up here and there
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2006, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I have never once said you are terrible or evil.
Not once.
Surely you are prodocking for your own personal reasons, because you enjoy seeing the dogs work? We are both approaching this from our view points Rips. The dog actually has no say in it your way or mine. :smt002

I don't look down on you, but I am entitled to my opinion.
I don't doubt that the dogs enjoy doing what they were trained to do Rips,doesn't mean I agree with it.

never thought for one moment that you didn't love your dogs, never even suggested it, the thought has not crossed my mind.
I used the word 'mutilation' as that is the word that is used by vets etc to describe docking. Not my choice of word, as I put in the post I used that word in.

Yep, I'm anti hunting, I think that's obvious. great the dogs love their job Rips, that, in my opinion, is because they are trained to do it (and sometimes not in that nice a manner it has to be said) they could also channel their energy and enthusiasm elsewhere. What say do the birds and game have, I wonder if they enjoy it?? Sorry, just my opinion and not having a go.

Yep, you are probably right, if they are shot well.
Nope, no animals actually make it onto my dinner plate, as I'm sure you've probably already guessed.

Rips, I never said you were any of the things you've suggested I've said.
Yes, I am totally anti hunting and always have been.
My opinion, I'm allowed to have it, just as you are allowed to have yours.
Sorry Ailsa but only the first sentence of my post was aimed at you, sorry if that wasn't clear. Out of interest, have you read my posts and tried to understand my predicament?

Yes I enjoying seeing my dogs work, but they have to enjoy doing it first and foremost for me to be able to enjoy them doing it if you get my meaning? Like I said these dogs have been bred for this for hundreds of years, for me docking them is allowing them to do what they love whilst protecting them from injury.

Gundogs aren't trained to love what they do - they love hunting and that instinct is brought out through the training.

Fair enough you and Patch are vegetarians, but surely you have to agree that a free wild animal being shot for food is better than an animal living it's whole life full of cruelty just to end up on a dinner plate?

Ailsa/Patch have you ever been on a shoot and seen Springers working, or the damage that is done to them when they have full tails?

Patch of course I don't dock my own dogs, to assume I'd do so upsets me somewhat. If you knew me you'd know I've yet to breed my own litter so the act in itself would be impossible.

I personally, like Moobli, will never actually shoot an animal, but any game I received as a result would go straight to the dog as she's raw fed.

I also used to be against docking, until I became involved with working Gundogs. Docking, if done by banding rather than cutting the tails off (truly barbaric) is relatively painless. Have any anti dockers ever seen a full litter docked by banding? Don't know why i'm bothering to ask as the question will no doubt be ignored.

And before I get attacked I just want to make plain - this is my opinion, I'm allowed to have it, just as you are allowed to have yours.
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Here here Rips, very eloquently put. Well done girl.

Dawn R.
Page 16 of 51 « First < 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 26 > Last »