View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 05:22 PM
One of my previous dogs was terrified of the loud bangs and would try and get underneath things, so I made her a little "den" underneath the stairs, with a make-shift curtain hanging down from the ballistrades and a nice bed (it had no doors). I'd draw the curtains and put the tv on extra loud and it really helped.

Make sure you take her out into the garden for a wee before the main event is likely to start, otherwise she just won't go out, even when they've finished by midnight, my dog wouldn't go out into the garden.

I did notice she favoured the bathroom for some strange reason, so I spent some time in that during the really loud periods, maybe because it's such a small room, but there was definitely something about the bathroom she favoured I seem to remember most.

Good luck, I know how terrified some poor dogs can get, but thankfully, this year I have one who is totally oblivious to it all, and I'm hoping I don't pass on any vibes to her, but I will make sure I'm on the floor playing with her when the really loud stuff starts just in case!

If your dog is interested in toys, it's a good idea to be playing, and try very hard not to be aware of the noise yourself, because of course, that will transfer to her. I feel really sorry for you, I used to worry for my girl, shaking, trembling, restless, panting, it was really bad with her.
Sandra.smith
New Member!
Female 

01-11-2012, 05:22 PM
I am new to this forum so a bit slow in replying back.

I'll definitely try the CDs, Azz. Thanks a lot.
Are all beagles usually scared during fireworks? They are so adorable. Can't see them suffering

Thanks Niccie.
I am not in the favour of medicines either, Debb. Would definitely not give him any sort of medication. Don't know if you read this but I came across this post http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/bonfire-night-for-pets/ and read about high carb meal. Has anyone tried it? Do high carb meals actually make any difference? It is obvious but I didn't think about serving my dog any specific kind of food at bonfire night. Any food suggestions?
Sandra.smith
New Member!
Female 

01-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Hi Helena,

A den is a great idea. I can do something fun for my dog and make the hiding place quite interesting for him. I am feeling more positive now
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by Sandra.smith View Post
I Has anyone tried it? Do high carb meals actually make any difference? It is obvious but I didn't think about serving my dog any specific kind of food at bonfire night. Any food suggestions?
Hi Sandra I would not change the normal food, doing so can result in an upset tummy and that is the last thing you want....
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2012, 05:29 PM
Originally Posted by Sandra.smith View Post
Hi Helena,

A den is a great idea. I can do something fun for my dog and make the hiding place quite interesting for him. I am feeling more positive now
It doesn't matter that you might have to get in there with her, but TRY and keep her upbeat with some toys and treats and games. If this fails, try that bathroom too!
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2